AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

10:56 PM on 04/06/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old
Its no secret that unreal engine is behind the times and doesn't support 1080p(as of the latest installment I've played using it). What are your thoughts on the engine?

It seems like it manages to make mediocre graphics and physics out of games that could've otherwise been much much better. It's the equivalent of if instead of Peter Jackson, the director for Lord of the Rings was chosen to be Michael Bay or Tyler Perry.

Anyway, here's a few games I've played that I felt were sub par because of the unreal engine:

* Bulletstorm
* Thief: Deadly Shadows
* Splinter Cell
* Borderlands
* Homefront
* Gears of War
* Mass Effect
12:29 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
Symphonicaxiom
Tell me it's you or nothing at all
Chicago
Male - 25 Years Old
you take that last one back...son of a bitch....

12:32 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
Gears of War was goddamn excellent
12:53 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
I'm no expert on producing games but i take the stance that if a game is bad it's on the developer or publisher, not the engine running it.
12:55 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm no expert on producing games but i take the stance that if a game is bad it's on the developer or publisher, not the engine running it.

Contracts can ruin lots of things. #regrets
12:58 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old
Gears of War was goddamn excellent

Yes. Story, development, multiplayer, satisfaction. All excellent. But physics, sprint camera, resolution, and character models, all terrible. Nothing looks real on unreal engine 1 thru 3. Maybe 4 will have something advanced enough to compete with games from 2010. But just maybe.
01:11 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
Contracts can ruin lots of things. #regrets
it's not like a developer or publisher is forced to use any given engine.
01:16 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old
you take that last one back...son of a bitch....

Unreal engine 4 il is only a prototype. Its cool that they're finally upgrading to 2010 graphics, but all three mass effects were made with UE3. I wasn't knocking the franchise as a whole. Rather, Im saying that if, say mass effect had been programmed using frostbite's engine, (which everyone should be trying to do) I wouldn't have been complaining about grainy character models and unrealistic facial expressions, much less the lack of particles. And the lighting in UE3 is just atrocious. I mean, if you just stand still and look at the sun in any given game, no movement at all, its like the engine just froze. There's no lighting movement. No random diffusion. Shadows are blocks from hell and skippy as a motherfucker. I could go on and on about how terrible UE is, but I'll see if anyone else actually notices the problems that ooze from it, or if its just me being a picky bastard about spending $70.

But I love mass effect for the substance of it. Its not the game that was the problem. It was the engine, and they had no say in it. I'm sure the developer would've used something better if they weren't already locked into a contract with Epic
01:33 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
Mering, Germany
Male - 26 Years Old
Err, no. Granted, the only game from that list that I've played is Borderlands, aside from brief stints in Mass Effect and Splinter Cell (god I hated that) at a friends house, and the Bulletstorm demo, but I really don't see what you're talking about. Especially since you threw Borderlands on the list, which has a completely different graphical style than all the others, despite using UE3. From the media I've seen of the other games though, and the fact that you're the first person I've seen raise such points, I'm still not super convinced .

Oh, I also played UT3 a fair deal years ago and was perfectly okay with the engine.
01:52 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old
it's not like a developer or publisher is forced to use any given engine.

Yeah. It's EXACTLY like that:
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/549/549530p1.html
http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/905/BioWareUnreal-Engine-3-License-Agreement-Interview/p1

Epic games licensed UE to Bioware, so they were then obligated to go through with their sub par graphics. Basically they ordered a pizza with their credit card and it arrived cold, soggy and molded, but they couldn't change their mind because it didn't say anywhere in the contract that they would receive a hot, crispy, fresh pizza.

But, now that the contract is up, it looks like the next mass effect and dragon age games will get the treatment they deserve. http://m.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/next-mass-effect-dragon-age-3-powered-by-frostbite-3/

Just promise me one thing. While you're playing mass effect 4, and you keep saying over and over again in your head "this can't be a video game. Its gotta be live action", just remember this convo, and why it looks so good compared to the others.

And think of all the wasted time with unreal engine. You will then feel the hatred for unreal stirring in your soul, and thats how believers are born.
02:02 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old
Err, no. Granted, the only game from that list that I've played is Borderlands, aside from brief stints in Mass Effect and Splinter Cell (god I hated that) at a friends house, and the Bulletstorm demo, but I really don't see what you're talking about. Especially since you threw Borderlands on the list, which has a completely different graphical style than all the others, despite using UE3. From the media I've seen of the other games though, and the fact that you're the first person I've seen raise such points, I'm still not super convinced .

Oh, I also played UT3 a fair deal years ago and was perfectly okay with the engine.

The only points worth raising are the ones that haven't been addressed yet. (i.e. why doesn't ice cream have a safety seal, but nearly every other product does?) just because im the first to raise it to your knowledge doesnt make it invalid.

Granted, I probably should've left out borderlands from that list because like you said the style is different, but the problem I have is that if I'm about to play a game that uses unreal engine, I know after 30 seconds that that's what it is, because of the sprinting camera, because of the unrealistic faces, because of the poor lighting effects and blocky shadows, because of the disgustingly deficient particle system. If you know your games well, you'll know what I'm talking about.
04:18 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
Yeah. It's EXACTLY like that:
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/549/549530p1.html
http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/...t-Interview/p1

Epic games licensed UE to Bioware, so they were then obligated to go through with their sub par graphics. Basically they ordered a pizza with their credit card and it arrived cold, soggy and molded, but they couldn't change their mind because it didn't say anywhere in the contract that they would receive a hot, crispy, fresh pizza.

But, now that the contract is up, it looks like the next mass effect and dragon age games will get the treatment they deserve. http://m.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/next...y-frostbite-3/

Just promise me one thing. While you're playing mass effect 4, and you keep saying over and over again in your head "this can't be a video game. Its gotta be live action", just remember this convo, and why it looks so good compared to the others.

And think of all the wasted time with unreal engine. You will then feel the hatred for unreal stirring in your soul, and thats how believers are born.
haha, i hope you're not really this emotionally invested in seeing better graphics, but it's funny either way.
05:51 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old
haha, i hope you're not really this emotionally invested in seeing better graphics, but it's funny either way.

That last bit was for fun. As far as the rest, there's nothing funny about wanting the absolute best from something that'll cost no less than $60 for sometimes 6 to 10 hours of play. I'm glad I amuse you, but make sure its for the right reasons. If you really dont care about graphics, there's a bunch of Wii's for sale on eBay real cheap. You dont happen to be Japanese, do you? Even if youre not, I'm sure you'll fit right in with the Nintendo family and mentality.

Also, for future reference, the correct thing to do when you're wrong is to either (a:) subject jump until you land on one where I'm wrong and you can feel empowered, (b:) rage quit the forum, never to be heard of again, or (c:) behave like a rational adult and say "Oh. Ok. I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know, and at the same time expanding my knowledge base so that I can have an informed discussion later." You don't have to say it just like that tho. It means more when you put it in your own words.
06:05 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
alright brother, keep on keeping on.
09:12 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
Staff Member
I don't think Unreal, or any engine for that matter, can necessarily ruin a game (if its concept/execution is bad, it's bad on its own) though it can detract from its overall quality. For instance, Bioshock Infinite only supports 720p output on the consoles. I personally have it on PS3 and you can hear the console struggling to keep up with the game. Makes me wish I had a gaming PC.

Overall, I feel Unreal engine can be fantastic for environmental modeling but unless the developers who license it detail everything extremely, textures get really muddy or choppy (see Gears of War and Arkham Asylum/City) The new version of the engine looks great though, and I typically enjoy-love many games that use the engine.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets