AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Every Avenue - 03.26.08

Every Avenue - 03.26.08

Interviewed by
Every Avenue - 03.26.08Can you state your name and what you do in Every Avenue?
Im Mike, and I play drums in Every Avenue

For the fans that aren't familiar with you guys, can you give a quick story of how you guys go together?
Mike: Dave and I met in high school through friends. Josh quit his old band and we picked him up directly after. When we lost a guitarist before signing with Fearless, we tried Jimmie out and he was a perfect fit. Matt recently joined the band after we parted ways with our bassist. Matt was in a band with Josh before as well.

How did you guys grab Fearless' attention?
Mike: We were a DIY band before signing, from a small town in Michigan. After selling our CDs through iTunes and Smartpunk.com we gained the attention of Fearless and other labels this way. Our songwriting was another factor.

What led you guys to re-record Where Were You and Think of You Later and how did the re-recording process work out?
Mike: Both the label and us felt that we hadnt completely reached our audience with those two songs. They are a favorite live song for fans too; keeping EP songs going live is a very hard thing to do after releasing an album or two. We wanted to continue to play these two live for a while.

What inspired the new production styles?
Mike: With being in the studio for a month and having more songs to work with, it was only natural to try a few new things. Theres a bit more programming this time around. But most people havent heard the dozens of demos weve done in the past couple of years. These elements were always with us; they just finally came out on this album.

Do you feel that Shh, Just Go With It is a more "mature" record compared to the EP, Ah!? Why or why not?
Mike: We think this record is definitely a step up for our songwriting. We put more thought into lyrics and individual parts. Whether or not we think its mature, weve still grown up since Ah!. Like many musicians, were already thinking about what the next record will be like. Thats far away though.

How is the Spring Break tour with The Audition coming along?
Mike: Its great! The crowd is responding very well, and were hitting up markets weve never been to. We love meeting new people and making new fans. Not to mention the other bands are amazing dudes!

Plans after this tour?
Mike: Right after the Spring Bear 08 tour, Hit the Lights is taking us out with Farewell and Sing It Loud. Were super pumped about it. There are two other tours after the Hit the Lights tour, but we cant confirm that as of today. And of course were playing Vans Warped Tour from July 9th-22nd.

What's a day like on tour for you?
Mike: Wake up, do shower business, and then usually check the 3 Myspace accounts I have, email. We usually gas up, eat then start the drive for the day. We have a problem with stopping too much when we drive. Were suckers for candy bars and going to the bathroom! Once we get the show we have to set up all our gear. Before doors well socialize with the other bands, goof off, maybe eat more. Once doors open well hang out in and outside the venue, or around the merch tables. Then we play, load out, and then go back inside to hang out with fans between the other bands sets. After the show well usually eat again, check in to our hotel, or party. I like to tackle my tour manager for the luggage rack when we get to hotel. Im a skinny dude but Ill take your ass down for the luggage rack!!

Have any fun tour stories?
Mike: With All Time Low, during the prank wars, we put almost every bodily fluid imaginable on their van.

What's your favorite song to play live?
Mike: My personal favorite is Days of the Old; it feels so much more aggressive played live than when we wrote it, so I just beat the piss out of my drums.

What would you say are some of the coolest/hardest part of being in a band nowadays?
Mike: One of the coolest things is that seeing the whole country is something most people will never experience. I wake up sometimes and have to look at my tour pass to know what city or state Im in; its an interesting feeling. You get to meet so many new people each day too. On the flipside, it can feel a little competitive too.

If you could pick one company to sponsor you, what would it be and why?
Mike: Pepsi, I drink 2 or 3 bottles a day. It adds up too quick!

What are some of your influences?
Mike: Were all influenced by different artists, like The Police, Elvis Costello, Michael Jackson, Jimmy Eat World, The Beatles. Our iPods are filled up, so its hard to list everyone!

What would you be doing with your life if you weren't playing in a band?
Mike: I have a studio back home that I make a good living doing when were between tours; I suppose I would try to make a living doing that. All of us want to stick with music no matter what.

If you had your own record label, what bands would you sign to it?
Mike: If we could sign a few unsigned bands, we would sign The Mile After, The Heyday, 1994, Holiday Parade, Racing Kites

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
11:32 AM on 04/10/08
jenny_ell
put your hands up for detroit
User Info.
nice interview :)
and you asked one of my questions!

love every avenue
11:44 AM on 04/10/08
stevenwk
User Info.
these dudes were some of the most legit dudes that i ever met on the road with my old band. you could tell 2 years ago that they were going to do something
01:07 PM on 04/10/08
meganonthetrain
We All Need A Reason To Believe
User Info.
Great interview.

I love Every Avenue!
They are all really nice guys.
01:50 PM on 04/10/08
dani1292
@dani1292
User Info.
every avenue is the best :)
i hope those unannounced tours come to florida, because i can't wait until warped to see them.
& i agree with holiday parade not being signed. they are so talented, i don't understand why labels aren't going crazy for them.
02:03 PM on 04/10/08
kmonkey2
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yay every avenue.
02:27 PM on 04/10/08
YouMakeMeLaugh
User Info.
matt from race the sun plays bass for them now, also , race the sun is playing a reunion show on june 6th at alley katz in richmond va.
04:07 PM on 04/10/08
scmaley
And away we go
User Info.
That's a great interview. That last question was really cool. I'd want Holiday Parade on my label, if I had one.
06:21 PM on 04/10/08
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
nice interview. Just gave this band a listen after read altpress, glad I gave them a try
07:24 PM on 04/10/08
sheisamaverick
kathrine
User Info.
great interview!
i liked the last question too
04:52 PM on 04/11/08
hiblair
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
oh hell yeah theyd sign racing kites.
05:17 PM on 04/11/08
omgkris10rocks
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
holiday parade <3
09:23 PM on 04/11/08
differ_26
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great interview... i miss seeing you guys i can't wait to see you soon :D
12:02 AM on 04/12/08
Dianalilah
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
<3 yay for name dropping racing kites and holiday parade! :D
07:38 AM on 04/15/08
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
I can't say I'm a fan of these guys.
I just can't get over how cheesy their lyrics are.

I do commend them on their success, can't hate on Michigan boys.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos