AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - Year of the... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 9.75
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 96%
Inside AP.net

Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - Year of the...

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (04/10/08)
Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) - Year of the Rabbit 7"
Release Date: January 15th, 2008
Record Label: Count Your Lucky Stars/Strictly No Capital Letters

Mineral was great. Mineral was good. Mineral was undoubtedly influential. The former is clear after listening through Power of Failing, though they were somehow only good after listening through EndSerenading. The latter is clear after listening through Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate)'s Year of the Rabbit 7". These Michigan darlings debuted in the now (and once-again) burgeoning Midwestern underground scene with the five song When The Sea Became A Giant -- and what an impressive debut it was. Despite sometimes spotty vocals, the album was a delight that hinted at better things to come. If the EP's closer "K.O. K.O." wasn't proof enough for you, then you're one immalleable motherfucker. While neither of the two songs on …the Rabbit are as heartbreakingly beautiful as the aforementioned, the single does relay a sense of growth and melodic maturity to the already initiated Empire! listeners, while reiterating to the band’s new listeners that charming musical prowess is alive and well.

The wintry opening of title-track “Year of the Rabbit” is a nice testament to the chilly scene on the 7”s cover and an instant red flag that Empire! has become dramatically more imagery-driven with their instrumentation and noticeably more adept in giving a song enough drive and ending it where it should. A problem with When the Sea...,that I brought up here, was that songs often hinted at more elegantly-elongated affairs – but weren’t. “Year of the Rabbit” and “IDK, My BFF Jill” (funny song title, yeah I know) aren’t suggestive in the least, but more importantly they mark vocalist Keith Latinen’s nonabrasive return. There were a few spots in the band’s debut where Latinen got a little overconfident with his range. However, that’s a distant memory as he has clearly improved and is now an exciting facet to the band – and there’s no better evidence than the second and last song “IDK, My BFF Jill”. Latinen gets shouty over energetic snare snaps and rotary guitar dives before swooning into his boy-next-door warble.

For a 7”, I couldn’t think of a more perfect package. Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) is likely to reel in quite the audience once the masses become more aware of their truly beautifully poignant voice in independent rock. Year of the Rabbit is a must-have for anyone who supports the revival that’s underway in the Midwest: a revival that refuses to allow the overlooked magnificence of the region’s predecessors die.

Recommended If You Like:Mineral, American Football, The Appleseed Cast

Because Searching For a Band On Google To Find Their Myspace Is Apparently Difficult...Empire! Empire! @ Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37.
08:34 PM on 04/10/08
nicolerork
nicolerork.com
User Info.
Excellent review and band.
07:06 AM on 04/11/08
alexcreate
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
someone should upload this so i can see if it's worthy of a buy or not
12:53 PM on 04/11/08
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
someone should upload this so i can see if it's worthy of a buy or not

Couldn't you safely assume from the 80% I gave it that it is? There will be no uploading of the album here.
01:20 PM on 04/11/08
kaityangst
still not quite the way it was
User Info.
:] i put them as my recommendations for this past week. great review.
01:38 PM on 04/11/08
ilovebsb
Anyone want to throw up a link (via myspace, purevolume, ect...) so i can hear some tunes from these guys?
01:42 PM on 04/11/08
SanePsychotic
Queerkegaard
User Info.
I've heard one song by these guys, "K.O. K.O. (The Most Of My Worries Are The Least Of Your Concerns)" and I enjoyed it. Definatly something I'd look into.
01:49 PM on 04/11/08
ohgentlenight
User Info.
01:51 PM on 04/11/08
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
Anyone want to throw up a link (via myspace, purevolume, ect...) so i can hear some tunes from these guys?
http://www.myspace.com/empireempireiwasalonelyestate

I thought that all reviews were to have the myspace link, or at least a link to listen to some songs if there was one? At least thats what I got from that one discussion that went down a week or two ago.. anyways.
01:52 PM on 04/11/08
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
01:57 PM on 04/11/08
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.

I thought that all reviews were to have the myspace link, or at least a link to listen to some songs if there was one? At least thats what I got from that one discussion that went down a week or two ago.. anyways.

Sorry -- the last thing on my mind after finishing a review is a way to pander to kids unable just to look up the band's name on Google.
02:06 PM on 04/11/08
ilovebsb
Sorry -- the last thing on my mind after finishing a review is a way to pander to kids unable just to look up the band's name on Google.

Thats what i did, but i couldn't find it and after the link got posted in here i was wondering why i wasn't getting a myspace link or something then i realized i put in state, not "estate" at the end. Whoops!
02:15 PM on 04/11/08
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.

I didn't think it was difficult to type the link at the end of a review, but I guess it is. Sorry to ruin your day.
03:01 PM on 04/11/08
ilovebsb

Thanks alot! This band is incredible!
04:30 PM on 04/11/08
alxneindecember
User Info.
K.O K.O is beautiful, everyone should listen to it on there myspace (if you haven't already)
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests