Don't Know 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

04:40 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
The Goddamn Loveliest Melody
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
Scenario: A 9 year old child needs a life saving medical procedure (such as a blood transfusion or an organ transplant), otherwise he/she will certainly die. This procedure is the only way to save the child. The parents of this minor do not want the child to have the procedure because it violates their religious beliefs (whatever it may be).

Question: Should the doctor / government be allowed to step in and perform the life saving procedure despite the parent's religious wishes? Or do the parents get the ultimate and final say?
04:44 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
Once you're 'of age', you should have the right to refuse any medical treatment based on your religious beliefs (or for whatever reason you want). If you're a child, then yes I believe the doctors should proceed with a life-saving procedure irregardless of the parent's wishes.

I haven't thought too much about this though, but that's my gut feeling. It would change depending on the circumstances as well, I guess.
04:45 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Palm Coast, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
doctors should save the kids life and then take them away from the shitty parents who would have let them die.
04:49 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
I think that in any case where someone's life is in danger, a doctor is legally obligated to make efforts to prevent the death. I believe, though I am not sure, that even doctor/patient confidentiality is suspended in matters of life and death.
04:56 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
I think that in any case where someone's life is in danger, a doctor is legally obligated to make efforts to prevent the death. I believe, though I am not sure, that even doctor/patient confidentiality is suspended in matters of life and death.

Would confidentiality apply here, since its a child-parent relationship?
04:59 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
Would confidentiality apply here, since its a child-parent relationship?

Well not in this case. But I'll put it this way, the doctor would likely lose his license if he did not perform the treatment despite the parent's religious beliefs. In a real world scenario the doctor would perform the treatment and get sued afterwards, and his insurance would pay out a settlement. It's a lose/lose for the doctor.

Now, I question why the kid would be at the doctor in the first place if the parent's were Christian Scientists.
05:12 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old

False, in the given scenario, the parents' wishes would be the final say, unless the hospital had enough time to dispute them in court or something. You're allowed to deny life-saving treatment. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's the way it is haha
05:21 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
Kinda strange that you'd be allowed to deny life saving treatment, yet many people want to make abortion illegal.

That'll derail the thread.
05:24 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
False, in the given scenario, the parents' wishes would be the final say, unless the hospital had enough time to dispute them in court or something. You're allowed to deny life-saving treatment. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's the way it is haha

I'm glad you find such a hopeless scenario so funny. However, there is in fact legal recourse for the doctor to plead to the court for the best interest of the child.
05:32 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
Kinda strange that you'd be allowed to deny life saving treatment, yet many people want to make abortion illegal.

That'll derail the thread.

I agree, I would like to see someone justify that.
05:35 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
WOW I BET THIS POLL WILL CLOSE
05:44 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 28 Years Old
The state already intervenes in plenty of instances where the parents are negligent.
05:46 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I agree, I would like to see someone justify that.

to me, it speaks to what seems to be the current GOP mantra..."We want to force you to bring that child into the world because every life is precious...just not precious enough for us to make sure the child has a shot at a decent life"
05:53 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
to me, it speaks to what seems to be the current GOP mantra..."We want to force you to bring that child into the world because every life is precious...just not precious enough for us to make sure the child has a shot at a decent life"

The GOP would do well to recognize how religious fundamentalism spits in the face of the liberty and freedom they claim to hold so dear.
08:12 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
I'm glad you find such a hopeless scenario so funny. However, there is in fact legal recourse for the doctor to plead to the court for the best interest of the child.

SOURCES??

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version