Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts.
10:45 AM on 04/10/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Yeah that's on par with the new Transit record. Just why.
Comparing Mixtapes and Transit seems a little weird if you ask me. Mixtapes's very nature of a band doesn't actually create any expectations. Their songs are almost supposed to be somewhat average -- but that helps contribute to the "hey these guys are just like you and me" that makes the band awesome. The new song doesn't help push any new musical boundaries, but Mixtapes aren't boundary pushers to begin with.

Meanwhile, Transit did create some expectations with L&F and then were victimized by their own success on Young New England. I know they can do better, so I expect better.
12:33 PM on 04/10/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
I think saying their songs are supposed to be "somewhat average" is selling the band short. By a long-shot. To a certain extent, I get what I think you're trying to say -- The songs aren't complicated. But ultimately, I think for a band to be succesful playing music like this ("pop-punk" for lack of a better term) there needs to be a certain level of songwriting. From my perspective, that's the band's strong suit. The lyrics, the hooks, etc. They aren't trying to bowl everybody over with insane guitar solos but...They do have a strong tendency to write catchy-ass pop songs that are relatable to a wide breadth of individuals while including fairly specific details that create a storytelling vibe.

I have expectations for this band. High ones. They just don't relate to crazy drum fills or fret work, y'know?
Right. But like, even then the lyrics aren't deep or emotionally powerful or anything like that. They are just about life and shit and that's what makes them cool. "Somewhat average" is probably the wrong choice of words - I certainly don't want to give the impression that any group of schmuks could easily do the same things Mixtapes are doing now. But like, there are bands with better lyrics, and there are bands with catcher riffs and there are certainly bands with better vocals and instrumentation. But none of that actually matters because that isn't what Mixtapes are about to me.

I guess I have expectations, but they are just "keep doing what you have been doing" rather than how they'll take it to the next level.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS