AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

07:39 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
Article won't load for me at work, but I honestly don't think there's much "good" television out there.. Most of it is crap, and even some shows I keep up with (Walking Dead, Community) are crap.

I also don't really watch shows when they first air, it makes things a lot easier. If after a season or two people are raving about it, then I catch up on it through netflix or something... but to give every show a chance right off the bat, THAT'S a lot of work.

Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Louie are monumental achievements that will go down as some of the best television of all time

IFC, Comedy Central and Adult Swim have ridiculously good current and future projects for the best of the current comedy scene.

Plus: Justified, Girls (which I dont watch yet), GoT, Always Sunny, Boardwalk Empire

This is an amazing time for television
08:40 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
I'm with you on Mad Men and Breaking Bad... I like Louie, but I wouldn't label it a monumental achievement. There's no doubt there are a lot of good shows out there, but I can name 5 times as many shows lingering around/getting praise that are terrible.

If sports didn't exist, I don't think I'd have any problem keeping up with shows I consider good that keep my interest.

Nothing on television is like Louie. Nothing can compare to what he is doing with that show. It can't be called a straight comedy because of how crushingly depressing some scenes/episodes are. And it isnt a drama because it contains some of the funniest scenes of the year consistently. It's weird and boundary pushing and experimental and just perfect.
09:07 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
I'm pretty divided on the show to be honest. I appreciate it for what it is, and it's exactly how you've described it. It's well done, it's different, it elicits a lot of different emotions... But (and I'm sure this opinion will be in the minority on here) there are some times when I'm done watching it I feel as if I've just wasted a half hour. I didn't laugh, I didn't sympathize or connect with any character, and I didn't find amusement in the "nothing-ness" or real-life depiction of his life. Some episodes aren't good or bad, they're just there.

At the same time, some episodes I think are genius. I laugh harder than I do watching anything else. I really go back and forth with the show.

I mean the more I think about pop culture criticism the more I realize that the ability to relate to characters or lyrics does not matter. A growing pet peeve of mine is this idea that it is somehow wrong that characters are not relatable or unlikable. It's a self centered way of criticizing art.
11:51 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
I want an app that sorts all my downloaded shows on my computer into a tv watching schedule that I can follow as if theres a new episode each week so I can watch everything I have.

Plug the show/length/episode numbers in and it gives you a schedule
12:16 PM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
2 broke girls, american horror story, 2 1/2 men, glee, big bang theory... some shows that immediately come to mind that i can't stand

But that doesnt diminish the amazing quality of shows in television. The "bad" television doesnt mean that theres not a lot of great tv, the OPs point
01:40 PM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
Recent seasons of Sunny have been as good as ever
08:21 AM on 04/13/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
Of course it's self-centered, Spo. There is nothing more personal than a person's relationship to art.
Then replace it with dumb!
12:11 PM on 04/13/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
I disagree. Everyone approaches art in their own way. As long as they don't denigrate its quality, it's fine for them to prize personal connection highest. Just like it's fine for someone to prize experimental work. When you start to decide whose approach is or isn't valid, it's a pandora's box.

But thats the stupidest one chris god
07:12 AM on 04/17/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
During college i probably watched 6+ hours of tv/movies a day

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT