Password

Album Review

Story of the Year - The Black Swan Album Cover

Story of the Year - The Black Swan

Reviewed by
Story of the Year - The Black Swan
Record Label: Epitaph Records / Geffen
Release Date: April 22, 2008
Regardless of your music taste, at heart I believe we as humans are yoked with an impassable fervor to sing at the top of our lungs when a catchy song penetrates our eardrums. Some, however, have become hardened, and sometimes in an egotistical effort, place themselves on a pedestal and suppress this inherent gift, instead choosing to scoff, “That song sucks!”

“Guilty pleasures,” as they have come to be known, are delicacies we all must learn to manage. For some reason, we believe although we derive pleasure from these songs, for some reason it is not “cool” to like them, ergo traipsing to the galleys to be hung by our fellow scenesters for not realizing the utterly apparent, that it is just “not cool” to like that certain band, song, or genre. With this understanding weighing heavier than it should, I deny Story of the Year’s third full-length album, The Black Swan, as a guilty pleasure, and in lieu, acknowledge it as the best rock album to hit the shelves so far this year.

Unlike the previous In the Wake of Determination, The Black Swan effectively balances the copiousness that swallowed the former with the fetching choruses that made their debut full-length Page Avenue an instant success. Opening with the swagger of “Choose Your Fate,” a song engrossed by flanging and chugging guitars, rafter-touching vocals, and polished drums and then falling into the band’s first single, “Wake Up” it became apparent to me that the man behind the boards, Mr. John Feldmann had possibly done the best production of his career on this album. There are perfect guitar tonalities, drum sounds, as well as vocals from both frontman Dan Marsala and back-up fill Phil Sneed, who at times proceed with brilliant two part harmony (“Message to the World,” “We’re Not Gonna Make It”). The gut of the album, however, delivers top-heavy, driving anthems and soaring choruses (“The Antidote,” “Angel in the Swamp”). As a whole, most songs don’t stray from the “Feldman Formula,” which often starts (and returns) which melodic, substantial guitar moldings, sandwiching the bulk of the song in between. Operating in this sort of format can be bromidic, but with an equitable producer the songs are still able to develop an identity, based firmly on the solid melodic foundation established from the onset (see: New Found Glory’s Coming Home).

Technically, the band’s musical progression isn’t as arresting on this album, although Ryan Phillips and Phil Sneed are prone to rip off a solo or two (“Cannonball,” “The Antidote”). And it wouldn’t be a Story of the Year album if the band didn’t throw in a couple slow ones to mandate the use of the glowing cigarette lighters. None, however, match that of Page Avenue’s “Sidewalks,” and “Terrified” ends up sounding halfway between a Simple Plan and Good Charlotte ballad, with a trite chorus that verbalizes, “Are you still alive? / Are you scared inside?” Lyrically, however, the album doesn’t get much deeper than this, even though much of the album remains politically charged (“Message to the World,” “Apathy is a Deathwish”).

A conglomeration of complaining has been circulating in this scene in the last couple years about diversity, talent, songwriting, and skill; many of which, according to the scene lobbyists, seem to be inadvertently slipping away. Well, here you have it. The Black Swan takes the best elements of rock and roll and parks them onto one record. The production glistens. The songwriting is ace. Played straight through, the album will send your heartbeat through the roof without reservation. And if you’re a Story of the Year hater, good for you. I’m sure you have your reasons. But if the reason is because you can’t help but burst out in singing when “Until the Day I Die” comes on the radio, find a new band to hate.

Recommended if You LikeStory of the Year, Anberlin, The Used, The Wedding

myspace.com/storyoftheyear
This review is a user submitted review from topher465. You can see all of topher465's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
03:02 PM on 04/19/08
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
In the wake is so much better..

Page avenue > The black swan > In the wake of determination
03:48 PM on 04/19/08
CircaEnder
act appalled
User Info.

I won't say he's wrong..since its opinion, but I will say..not to take advice from this guy.
05:33 PM on 04/19/08
liveloud4life
User Info.
I love this album. I have to say though, I liked ITWOD too. I think I've liked all their albums equally but all in different ways. Black Swan and Page Avenue are definitely a step up on catchiness and creativity but I can't help but want to listen to some chuggin guitars and jump off of something every once in a while.
08:06 PM on 04/19/08
handlikesecret
inverted-album-art.tumblr.com
User Info.
phenomenal review.
08:18 AM on 04/20/08
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
Great review, got me excited now
11:08 AM on 04/20/08
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
I won't say he's wrong..since its opinion, but I will say..not to take advice from this guy.

if its cause you think page avenue is better than in the wake or the black swan then i will have to say that your advice wouldnt be too great

both in the wake and black swan are light years ahead of page avenue. lyrics wise? yes
music? oh god yes
musicianship? yes yes

lets see a song about dying for a loved one (how original) or a song about the apathy of america
11:39 AM on 04/20/08
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
Hey thanks for all the nice comments. If you like reading my reviews, please add me as a friend so you can automatically be updated when I post a review. As Ron Burgundy says, "when in Rome."
08:03 PM on 04/20/08
pesh1011
Breaking Mirrors Since 1990
User Info.
awesome review!
this album will be fuckin' awesome
12:12 AM on 04/21/08
Adrian Villagomez
My Little Runaway
User Info.
Hey thanks for all the nice comments. If you like reading my reviews, please add me as a friend so you can automatically be updated when I post a review. As Ron Burgundy says, "when in Rome."
Atta boy.
12:34 AM on 04/21/08
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
i'll say that this album is good and on the right track ..
03:42 AM on 04/21/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I disagree with this review. I was bored within the first few minutes of listening to this. Maybe I'll try it again though. Nice review, I just disagree with it.
06:12 AM on 04/21/08
lenard27
Let's Go Pens! And Yanks!
User Info.

Ummmmm....by your little better than progression of SOTY, you're saying Page Avenue is the best but say ITWOD is better right above that.

But I'll have to pick this album up soon, great review topher!
06:53 AM on 04/21/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sweet review dude...I particularly like the "rafter-touching vocals" description.
07:31 AM on 04/21/08
bobxplay5
User Info.
They finally saw that their listeners liked the feel of page avenue sooo much better and all but two are focused more towards those people two thumbs up.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos