Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 6 posts.
04:10 PM on 04/14/08
hopeforthebest
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yeah virgin pumped a lot of money into marketing them and their album sales were mediocre.
05:03 PM on 04/14/08
hopeforthebest
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Mediocre? It went platinum..

but how much did virgin pay to have mtv constantly play their videos and
the only single that did well was face down. The other two videos did nothing for
their record sales. Even though they did well for their debut, they
couldn't even sell out the electric factory here which bands like Brand New can do
even without ever going platinum.
11:13 PM on 04/14/08
hopeforthebest
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
A lot of you are forgetting a few important things.

First of all, for a label that probably spent millions for marketing (MTV, VH1, radio, ect...) selling a million isn't good enough. And yes, it does cost around 200K to get your music video on MTV, as well as all the costs to actually create the videos (we can assume around 100k per video)

Second of all, there's a difference between whole-sale cost and retail cost of a CD. you need to pay to have your CD in stores and you need to sell it to them for less than what they are selling it for. best buy sells the CD for 9.99 so distributors sell it for probably around 6 bucks.

Cover all that and recording blah blah blah and 1 million isn't really that much.

With all that promotion they shouldn't be playing on warped tour (2007)

Also think of hawthorne heights they sold a couple million in with 2 CD's and the label claimed HH owed them MILLIONS b/c of marketing.

finally someone gets it! haha
11:16 PM on 04/14/08
hopeforthebest
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
and for the record, i meant the sales were mediocre because of how much the album
was pushed but did not sell amazingly well even with all the marketing dollars behind it.
06:10 PM on 04/15/08
hopeforthebest
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
First let me clarify the last part first, I wasn't making those specific numbers the actual numbers that the wholesale price is, it seems like you missed the point, im saying that a lot of people don't know that the label isnt getting the "12.99" they see on the tag at a target or best buy. And most indie bands have starting sales at 9.99 so they def are buying the CD's for cheaper than that, I would guess 6-7 dollars.

and for the other points, true...selling a million is a big deal especially some random band, but I would assume that Virgin saw these guys thinking they could be the next fall out boy or something which would give them an expectation to sell at least 2 million for at least 2-3 CD's. And you need to realize that they wouldn't sell ANYTHING compared to what they did without promotion because in this day and age...whatevers on MTV sells and people forget about anything else. Yellowcard for example...Ocean Avenue sold around 3 mill, lights and sounds sold around 1 mill worldwide, and id be suprised if Paper walls will break 350k. They keep getting less and less promotion, and honestly Paper walls was SOO much better than Lights and Sounds. Also, RJA are no where near as good as Yellowcard. Without Promotion I would guess they wouldn't even break 40k in their first week.

And to the person who said Boys Like Girls is on the same track...I would disagree. Those labels took different tracks on promotion. Boys like girls debut was out for 7 months before it got play time on MTV...hell the first week I don't even think it charted on the billboard it sold like 2,000 cd's...but after a few magazine ads and internet front pages they started to rise in popularity and eventually the label was able to pay for them to record a video. Virgin on the other hand probably put a million dollars in marketing before the CD was even out...Id be pissed too if it took them a year and a half to go gold, id call it a commercial failure.

i love how you're the only one that understands this concept while
everyone else assumes that platinum equals success!
I remember in a Kayne interview, he said his album went 3x platinum and
his label didn't recoup the cost from marketing the album. So for all you suckers
that think platinum is success, go do some research and you'll find out that it is
nowhere near true.
06:14 PM on 04/15/08
hopeforthebest
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
that still doesn't explain why they would drop them. With all the marketing they did for this album they wouldn't have to do as much to get reasonable results for the next one. A lot of people would already know who RJA was and they'd be looking out for the new one, even with normal advertising.

i'm sure capitol thought the same thing about yellowcard until lights and sounds didn't sell
nearly as well as ocean avenue.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums