AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Story So Far, The - What You Don't See Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.88
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Story So Far, The - What You Don't See

Reviewed by: justbradley (04/14/13)
The Story So Far Ė What You Donít See
Record Label: Pure Noise Records
Release Date: March 26th 2013

Weíre four months into 2013 and I havenít listened to a lot of pop-punk records, to be honest. Not many have come out, either, but on the plus side, a lot of ďbiggerĒ bands within the genre have records coming out this year, such as The Wonder Years, Transit, Man Overboard, and finally, CAís The Story So Far. Last spring, I got way more into pop-punk, and this was one of the first bands that I got more into. I mean, I was always into pop-punk, and some of my favorite pop-punk bands were (and still kind of are) Fireworks, New Found Glory, Blink-182, Fall Out Boy (their early material, but I do enjoy everything theyíve ever done), A Loss for Words, State Champs, and a few others. Needless to say, a few of those bands in there are part of the ďnew generationĒ of pop-punk, so I still had a lot of catching up to do. The Story So Far were one of those bands, and Iím surprised I have not listened to this band much sooner. Well, I did last spring, and I remember listening to the bandís debut record Under Soil and Dirt, which impressed me quite a bit. It wasnít anything unique, or anything really mindblowing, but thatís why I liked it. Some bands know what they are, and they know what theyíre doing. Despite being a very young band, I feel as though The Story So Far knows what kind of band that they are, and they donít have any qualms about it. Theyíre not here to change music, but just to play some songs and make some records for people who love pop-punk. Thatís not a bad thing, and thatís what makes them so awesome to me.

Another thing that really caught me off guard was vocalist Parker Cannon. Pop-punk is a genre where the vocals and lyrics mean just about everything, because the instrumentation is typically not that unique. Well, Cannonís vocals are unique, and to be honest, he has one of the best voices in pop-punk Iíve ever heard. His vocals are absolutely killer; theyíre very strong, loud, and confident. He sings every word with such sincerity, honesty, and even aggression sometimes. His voice was rather auto-tuned on Under Soil and Dirt, but not to the point where it was hard to tell where the auto-tuned ended and his real voice began. Lyrically, the record was also very aggressive, and full of a lot of ďf**k youĒ anthems to girls or awful friends, as the genre mainly is about. The lyrics were really heartfelt and sincere, but also angry, and thatís okay, because Cannon and the other guys are in their late teens/early 20s, so that angst still burns within them. Thatís fine, but this time around on sophomore record What You Donít See, it shows the band in a new light, and the album title really rings true. This is a side of the band that we havenít seen before. Well, the instrumentation is more or less the same, but lyrically, this is a side of them we, the listeners, havenít seen. Cannonís lyrics are less angry, and more retrospective, and even question the flaws and downfalls of relationships. The lyrics do revolve around relationships, and that would bother me if the lyrics werenít so damn good. The first time I listened to this record, I wanted to shout every word as I was listening to the songs. Every word is heartfelt, sincere, and honest. However, itís much less angry, and much more intelligent, and thoughtful. Maybe itís because the guys are in college, and thatís what college does to you? I donít know, but the ending result is something a bit more enjoyable than the already near-perfect Under Soil and Dirt.

The record starts off with ďThings I Canít Change,Ē and just the title alone really catches my eye because it seems like theyíre trying to say that their sound is something that they canít change, and Iím a firm believer in the phrase, if it ainít broke, donít fix it. Well, their sound works very well, so why should they change it? In pop-punk, itís really easy to lost in fray of other bands trying to make it, but this band has something unique, whether itís Cannonís booming voice, or his aggressive and introspective lyrics, this band is a bit above the rest. The song itself is actually one of the highlights on this record. Whatís really interesting is that while this isnít pop-punk thatís totally unique or original, itís done wonderfully. There actually are melodies and very catchy choruses, guitar riffs, etc, etc. Almost every song is memorable on its own, as opposed to a lot of the genre, where bands seem to play the same song throughout their records. This band does switch things up a bit, however. Lyrically, this is also a nice song to start off the record, especially when Cannon says, ďLie alone, itís all you can do now, and hear me drone about the things I canít change.Ē In a way, itís almost heís describing how you should listen to this record. And thatís one of the songs on the record with a very strong chorus. A few other songs have choruses like this that really just sticks in your mind. All in all, this is a killer opening song, and not even just for pop-punk, but just in general. Opening tracks are very important when it comes to records, so having a very strong song to start off an album means good things are about to come, or itís very misleading. In this case, itís the former with very good things on the rise.

Of course with a pop-punk record, you canít have the good without a little bit of bad; if youíre a pop-punk fan who isnít too picky, youíll love this record. Even if you are picky with your pop-punk (try saying that ten times fast), this should please any fan of the genre, but people who are not accustomed to the genre might not really enjoy this too much. Thatís what I wonder with people who arenít too familiar with the genre, so if youíre not very familiar with the genre, I would recommend this, because itís a good dose of pop-punk, and this band is one of the better ones to come out, but this is a genre thatís not for everyone, and for good reason. With that being said, this record is quite short at about 30 minutes. Itís a couple minutes shorter than their last record, but only one song makes it past the three-minute mark, and thatís my favorite song on the record, actually. As I mentioned earlier, there are a few songs on here that really do stand out, but there are some that really donít, and thatís not to say theyíre terrible songs, but compared to the songs that really stand out, and make a difference, there are a few that just donít do anything or go anywhere. The first half of the record, on the other hand, is REALLY good. Itís very solid all the way through the first half, with maybe the exception of second track ďStifled;Ē that track is good, but itís really short. It doesnít have a chance to really develop. Itís ends as quick as it starts, and I feel the same about a couple tracks sprinkled throughout the record. However, songs like ďSmall Talk,Ē ďPlaying the Victim,Ē and ďRight HereĒ is a triad of wonderful tracks that just pummel through one another.

My favorite song on the record comes in the form of eighth track ďAll Wrong.Ē This song is definitive Story So Far track; Cannonís vocals are insane, his lyrics are wonderful, thereís a very strong chorus, and the backing instrumentation is just absolutely killer. This song is definitely one of the best theyíve done, and really sums up the entire record, not lyrically, but just the overall sound. It really works, and itís my favorite track. After that, thereíre only a few more songs, but these songs work just as well. Closing track ďFrameworkĒ is another one of my favorite tracks, because it ends the record just like ďThings I Canít Change;Ē it ends it with a bang, basically. That song is just as strong as the album opener, and I love when a record does this, when the closing song is just as memorable. To put it simply, this record is a nice 30-minute burst of pop-punk, but it does manage to be something a bit more in places. Cannonís lyrics are a lot more intelligent this time around, especially in tracks like ďThings I Canít Change,Ē ďPlaying the Victim,Ē ďRight Here,Ē and ďAll Wrong.Ē These tracks have some of my favorite lyrics in them, and theyíre also some of my favorite tracks on the record as well. All in all, if youíre a fan of the band, youíll surely be a fan of this record. Itís nothing unique or groundbreaking, but thatís okay, because you can tell that Cannon and co. put their hearts and souls into this record, and the end result is a record that will appear on many peoplesí AOTY lists, including mine.

Recommended If You LikeThe Wonder Years, I Call Fives, With the Punches, Handguns, Forever Came Calling, A Loss for Words, Such Gold, State Champs, pop-punk, etc, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Things I Canít Change
2. Stifled
3. Small Talk
4. Playing the Victim
5. Right Here
6. Empty Space
7. The Glass
8. All Wrong
9. Bad Luck
10. Face Value