AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Daylight - 04.09.13

Interviewed by
Daylight - 04.09.13In anticipation of the band's newest record Jar, I chatted with Daylight vocalist/guitarist Taylor Madison about the new record, their recent touring with Balance & Composure and his connection to the grunge influence on the band's newest writings.

You guys kicked off this year doing a tour with Balance and Composure and The Jealous Sound. How was that tour in terms of getting out in front of some new faces?

It was good. Weíve known Balance and Composure for a really long time, so itís cool to finally get to tour with them. I think itís rare when you do a tour and you genuinely like all the bands youíre on tour with music-wise.

Did you guys get a chance to play any songs from the upcoming record on this tour?

We played one. The new song we released about a month ago.

How do you feel they went over?

Good. I think people like it for the most part.

Speaking of new songs, you have a new album coming out this month called Jar. Tell me a little bit about how these songs started to come together in the writing process.

Me, Joe and Jake were writing songs for awhile with just the three of us. Then, we got our new drummer Jack and we started writing as much as we could. We had a lot of ideas that we didnít use because we were really picky about how we wanted it to sound. We had a certain standard that we had set for the quality of the songs.

Jar resides in a tone akin to Ď90s grunge-type sound. What prompted the writing to be geared towards that sound in particular?

I feel like thatís always been my favorite genre of music. I know everyone else in the band likes that kind of music, but thatís always been my favorite kind. I just started writing stuff a little more in that direction and everyone else was kind of on the same page, and we liked where it was going. So it came out that way.

Do you feel that people who are already familiar with your band are going to be pretty accepting of you guys shift in sound?

I feel like some people will understand it and understand that weíre not going to make the same record multiple times in a row. The people who wonít are the same people who always ask us to play the same songs off of Sinking, and we donít want to do that because we donít like those songs. Thereís always going to be those people that donít understand why we donít play that stuff. Weíre the ones who have to play the songs every night, so weíre going to play new the new stuff more. And if they donít like it... I guess thatís too bad.

On the flip to that, what are you thoughts on people who might jab at you guys for genre-hopping and accusing you to do it to gain popularity and not because itís an organic change in sound?

I didnít know people accused us of that. If they do, fuck Ďem. Weíre pretty Ďdo whatever the hell we wantí individuals, so if people think that, I donít give a shit. What band doesnít want more people to like their band? But thatís never our aim to get more people to like our band. We donít compromise our songs or the way we do anything. If more people like it, then thatís cool, if less people like it then thatís their problem not ours.

Has that change in songwriting reflected any particular feelings from you personally as far as the output of the song is concerned?

I think so. I think a lot of the stuff on this record is about more specific things, where other songs were about being a general statement lyric-wise. This songs were a little more focused on what they actually were about. Itís a lot more personal.

Would you say you have more of an emotional attachment to these songs?

Definitely.

You recorded this LP with Will Yip, who youíve worked with before. What kept him in the mix to work with on Jar?

We demoed most of the songs last year with him before we recorded the actual record. We pretty much did all the pre-production with him. Throughout the year we would go in and periodically every couple months record three or four songs at a time, just to demo them and see how they sounded. Just in doing that, we all were in agreement we were comfortable recording with Will. Heís a very good friend of ours, and he just understood the way we wanted it to sound. He knew exactly how to get it to sound that way. It didnít make sense to do it with anyone else.

What would you say were some of the big challenges, either with writing or recording this LP?

I donít writing it was that hard. For me, I donít really like recording, so that was a challenge for me because Iíve never had to record that many songs. It was fine, it wasnít as torturous as it usually is. Working with Will is like really casual and a good time, itís not like work.

You guys will be hitting the road for some shows next month, touring up to the release of the record and doing the record release show, then touring through Pouzza Fest and Bled Fest. Can you talk a little bit about your anticipation for getting right on the road with the release of a new record?

I think all of us are very antsy to play the new music. Weíre kind of getting sick of playing the same songs. We donít play anything off of Sinking, so that really only leaves us with two EPs to choose songs from. So weíve been playing a lot of the same songs for a couple years, and all of us just really want to play the newer songs.

So people can expect you to be playing a few songs off of the new record?

Probably not until after it comes out, but once it comes out, weíll definitely play more songs off of the new record.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
09:48 AM on 04/16/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Would've been nice to see talk about the leak in this. Did the interview happen after it?
10:29 AM on 04/16/13
truthbetoldxx
http://www.milkshakes.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
I want to know why they hate Sinking so much. That EP is so good. Obviously I don't care what they play and Jar, Disprit and Difference are also great so no complaints. I really just do want to know.
11:20 AM on 04/16/13
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
cool interview and Jar is awesome. just wanted to point out though that the drummer's name is Zack, not Jack
01:23 PM on 04/16/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I want to know why they hate Sinking so much. That EP is so good. Obviously I don't care what they play and Jar, Disprit and Difference are also great so no complaints. I really just do want to know.
I agree that it's a good album, but it's probably for the same reasons why many bands don't prefer their older stuff. They're at a different point in their lives and musicianship.
02:57 PM on 04/16/13
ConnorSteed
Empty Fate Just Means An Even Score
User Info.
great band. would have loved to see them with B&C. The DOYLESTOWNNNN PA TOUR!!!!
03:51 PM on 04/16/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
great band. would have loved to see them with B&C. The DOYLESTOWNNNN PA TOUR!!!!
They just did a 6 week tour with Balance. Did you not know about that?
04:26 PM on 04/21/13
ConnorSteed
User Info.
yes I did. which is why I said this. lol
04:26 PM on 04/21/13
ConnorSteed
User Info.
They just did a 6 week tour with Balance. Did you not know about that?

yes I did. which is why I said this lol

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version