AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts.
05:49 PM on 04/16/13
surgerone
User Info.
I completely agree with this review. Someone above me mentioned "too much referencing past material", and while that may be somewhat true, I thought it was important to give context for this album. Nothing on this album hits me like anything on Our Endless Numbered Days.
11:41 AM on 04/17/13
surgerone
User Info.
You did an extraordinary job of chronicling his career (especially since your favorites appear to be eerily attune to mine), so much so I stopped after like a sentence into the second paragraph and had to play Naked As We Came while I continued reading, which turned into Boy With A Coin and so on...ended up listening to him all morning haha.
Haha, I ended up listening to all of Our Endless Numbered Days after reading the review!
11:42 AM on 04/17/13
surgerone
User Info.
Haha, well I'll take that as a success!

Honestly, I'll probably end up loving this album once I get a few months past the initial reaction and adjust my expectations for what I wanted it to be. I can get on board with Sam Beam making a jazz/soul record. It's just that I feel like he's not writing those jaw-dropping lyrics anymore. I can cherry-pick a dozen (at least) lines off Endless Numbered Days that just blow me away. Very little on this album had a similar impact, and that's weird, since I've considered Beam the best lyricist of his generation since the first time I heard "The Trapeze Swinger" over the credits of In Good Company.
The lyrics in Fever Dream still nearly bring me to tears each time...
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests