AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts
10:33 PM on 04/16/13
xName Takenx
User Info.
I'm surprised at the responses, but very glad. I did not care for this album much, the songs, to me, sound entirely the same...
12:16 PM on 04/28/13
xName Takenx
User Info.
At first, I had the same reaction; a lot of the progressions, melodies & even cadence of the vocals sounded reminiscent of "Wolfgang..", which is kinda funny in a way because there are always people who complain when bands change their sound -- and yet when it stays somewhat parallel in future releases the band typically gets criticized for being uninspired or whatever.

Personally, this record has grown on me with each spin. I loved their last album, so it's ironic that it ever felt negative for "Bankrupt!" to sound like it. There's enough musical/artistic progression there to certainly say that these songs are unique, while maintaining the catchy, spunky (did I just use that word? haha) tonality that I crave from this band.

The track "Chloroform" is currently my favorite.. the timing when the drums initially kick in is so awesome & sexy. I wouldn't say it's their best record by any means, but it's fresh and puts a smile on my face.. so what more could I really ask for?

I feel like there's a real deficit with bands that can pull this off lately -- you know, music that's pop/rock but not eye-gougingly repetitive like most of the top 40 stuff. I needed an album like this right now, and can't wait to hear the new Vampire Weekend/Daft Punk records as well. I listen to many different genres (pop/rock probably the least), but Phoenix is an undeniable force of fun. Definitely give "Bankrupt!" another chance if it didn't quite trim your hedges on your first listen.
love it when people on this site respond like this.

Thanks man, definitely still listening to it and it is growing on me!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos