AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Divided by Friday - Maybe in a Memory Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.42
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.17
Lasting Value 8.58
Reviewer Tilt 9.17
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Divided by Friday - Maybe in a Memory

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (04/17/08)
Divided by Friday - Maybe in a Memory
Record Label: None
Release Date: March 20, 2008

Now here’s an album for pure enjoyment, the type of album you can play when you are having a house party and want your guests to loosen up and feel good. Divided by Friday’s latest EP Maybe in a Memory is party pop made by four teenagers, still in high school who call Laurinburg, North Carolina home. Their songs have the softcore punk punch of The Summer Obsession, the acoustic rock beauty of The Plain White T’s by way of their single “Hey There Delilah,” and raveling arrangements with a multitude of guitar blades bonded like Bedlight for Blue Eyes and Anberlin. The band’s moods are generally cheery and optimistic, although they do slump into somber shades a time or two to get it out of their system, but otherwise they are good to go at full throttle.

The bubbly skillets of “3 Legends in Steinberg,” “So Long Utah,“ and “On Pacific So Specific” have cheery, optimistic pop punk piping suffusing the rhythm section made by bassist Chris Thomas and drummer JP. The lead vocals of Jose Villanueva deliver a soft melodic resonance while his and Matt Morgan’s guitar playing is loud and vigorous. Matt Morgan additionally plays the keyboards and does the programming for the tracks which he couples with the softcore punk jumps of “Another Day” projecting a likeness to Yellowcard. Divided by Friday’s songs have a sing-along vibe like in “3 Legends in Steinberg” when Villanueva sings, “Times change, but people never do / We both know I changed myself for you / You’re everything that I ever wanted / The only thing that I ever wanted was to see a smile across your face / But now we’re stuck in the same place / Just let it go / The storm is over now / Just let it out / The sun will shine, the tides are turning / The flames may be low, but they’re still burning / Just try tonight / You only get one life to live / So live it out until your days are gone.”

Divided by Friday dive into some hard rock textures in “Extras” liken to Anberlin. The softly strolling piano keys on the outro of the melody give the reverberating chord arrangements a sense of calm while Villanueva’s vocals tailor beautifully to the twists and flights that take shape and hugging the curves snugly. The two acoustic rock tracks “Memory” and “October” have contrasting values. “Memory” projects a cheerful mood while “October” has a glib somberness with sequins of wistful string arrangements and sharp guitar blades that puncture the melodic patterns like piercing needles. The acoustic rock numbers add another vibe to the album that compliments the band’s pop punk make-up and still keeps to a house party revelry.

Maybe in a Memory show signs of a number of pop punk influences, but they also offer a bit more for audiences. Their music is equipped with party pop jets and some acoustic rock cylinders. They play like you would expect a group of energized teenagers to play - with a sense of optimism that everything will turn out okay. Maybe in a Memory is being sold at itunes.

Recommended if You LikeYellowcard, The Summer Obsession, Bedlight for Blue Eyes, Anberlin

myspace.com/dividedbyfriday

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
05:45 PM on 04/24/08
sas1991
Prime Sometimer
User Info.
yay! i love these dudes. very amazing ep.
07:03 PM on 04/24/08
meghanlail
Do you know what stars are?
User Info.
Great review...love these guys.
07:53 PM on 04/24/08
angilda
User Info.
These guys are amazing :] they are like uber uber uber good :] no other words to describe them haha
01:13 PM on 04/25/08
Naenia
Ay payita mia, guardate la poesia
User Info.
I really really like these guys, when I get some $ I'll buy this for sure.
03:15 PM on 08/06/08
shinson91
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These guys are great esp. since they aren't even out of high school yet.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests