AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:04 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old
nobody really understands exactly what makes or keeps a fad going. there are certain factors that are partially attributed responsibility, but never a solid cut and dry explanation. with the vinyl fad, it's no different.

while the vinyl enthusiasts will insist that it's not an aimless fad, but that vinyl just sounds warmer and has a more relaxed and inviting frequency response, this doesn't explain the 30 years of slumber that the vinyl industry had up until about 10 years ago when the fad really kicked off.

record labels would argue that, while cd sales have been steadily dropping for the last 10 years, vinyl is consistently outselling its previous year's amounts. but, since the nature of a fad is that something slowly becomes more popular over time, this statement is just a tautology and is an ironic counter-argument against itself.

to vinyl's credit, it DOES have a certain response that is lost on CD's and MP3's. it's warmer and brighter, and when the production has been done properly, some genres do have a better sound spectrum highlight and presence. but the counter to this is that the same thing can be done in studio with an equalizer to give the same sound to a flac file on a CD. so in this way, you'd get the same warm, bright sound without all the annoying cracks, pops, and skips that plague every single record player in existence.

another semi-valid argument is that it's not about the sound, but the ritual of preparing the music for listening. it's a calculated and nearly religious custom of sliding the record out of it's sleeve and placing the needle just exactly so. this is the only argument that i will accept as a proper explanation that you yourself are not part of the fad. but this still is flawed in that most vehicles don't allow me to perform this ritual, so another dud.

so, we are all on the same page that vinyl is a fad. how long do you think it'll keep going? i don't see any reason for it to continue another 5 years. vinyl is just so frigging expensive to press and ship, if we're going to have a musical format that doesn't really have a point other than satisfying the vintage fadsters' need to be vintage, why not just move on to cassettes and save all the pressing and shipping costs? OR something even more vintage and slightly cooler imo would be phonograph foil. a sheet of aluminum is cheap, light, and equally as useless as vinyl or cassettes for listening, not to mention reynolds wrap stock would skyrocket.

what do you think? how long before the vinyl fad dies? do you partake in the fad currently? if so, are you okay with being called a fadster, or does this offend you and your kind? would you prefer something less insulting like "trend-partaker"?
09:14 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
Neo Cassady
Let's go exploring!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
09:16 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I can't speak for other vinyl owners, but I buy/got into my vinyl because I have been a music enthusiastic since I started to like well, anything. To me it is about the great tone and warm sounds, but its more about the ability to purchase a cohesive and tangible piece of art that is worthwhile. I have never liked the idea of condensing art. I hate e-books, and will always buy physical books. Vinyl is the best option to get that entire piece of art in my hands so I can really appreciate the full spectrum of the artistry and musicianship. To call it a fad seems a little off, since vinyl has seemed to have found a great niche in a dying industry. By including things like download codes, sometimes coming earlier than street dates there is an incentive to buying vinyl, and pre-ordering at that, over CD. If this is a fad as you call it, I hope is lasts. It has become the place for true music lovers to willingly buy their music and support real art, versus the staler market for the mainstream music (of course there are various exceptions) and getting something worth their money in return.
09:17 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
Cleveland, OH
Male - 23 Years Old
It's not a fad. They never stopped making records.
09:24 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
BornUnderPunches
I am not a dirty god
--------------------
Male
09:41 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old
I can't speak for other vinyl owners, but I buy/got into my vinyl because I have been a music enthusiastic since I started to like well, anything. To me it is about the great tone and warm sounds, but its more about the ability to purchase a cohesive and tangible piece of art that is worthwhile. I have never liked the idea of condensing art. I hate e-books, and will always buy physical books. Vinyl is the best option to get that entire piece of art in my hands so I can really appreciate the full spectrum of the artistry and musicianship. To call it a fad seems a little off, since vinyl has seemed to have found a great niche in a dying industry. By including things like download codes, sometimes coming earlier than street dates there is an incentive to buying vinyl, and pre-ordering at that, over CD. If this is a fad as you call it, I hope is lasts. It has become the place for true music lovers to willingly buy their music and support real art, versus the staler market for the mainstream music (of course there are various exceptions) and getting something worth their money in return.

First, congratulations on being the only genuine response thus far. I agree with you wholeheartedly that having a physical copy preserves the art in a way that digital media can't and never will. It seems that you buy vinyl just because you want to and not because of the fad that surrounds the industry. I prefer CD's for their portability and use inside a vehicle since that's the majority of my listening experience.
09:41 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
TakeLotsWithAlcohol
Geeeeeeeeene
Kentucky.
Male - 24 Years Old

/thread
09:43 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old

I never said they stopped making them. I did mention the sudden and lengthy decline of vinyl sales that suddenly reversed 10 years ago for no specific reason. Also, as discussed in the op, it is, by definition, a fad. ;)
09:48 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old

/reading all the way through a post before responding
\definition misunderstandings
09:50 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
TakeLotsWithAlcohol
Geeeeeeeeene
Kentucky.
Male - 24 Years Old
/reading all the way through a post before responding
\definition misunderstandings

tl;dr

my b.
09:52 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
Farva2
Registered Member
Chino, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
I have an Ipod and an aux cable in my car so cd's are useless to me other then for getting a higher bit rate. Vinyl sounds better, looks better, and has the limited aspect to it that makes collecting so enjoyable. Is it a fad? don't really care but i find it enjoyable.
09:54 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
I like to think that my purchasing music means that music will continue to be made. I don't like to purchase things that I can't hold in my hands. CDs have virtually no resale value. Don't like vinyl? Don't buy it.
09:55 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
i don't have any vinyl, and i'm sure it's a fad for many, but not for serious music lovers.

it's something like serious bookworms collecting rare editions of their favorite books.
09:56 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
codeseven
rtfm
Raleigh, NC
Male - 26 Years Old
This thread is stupid. If people want to buy them and support the band, then let them. I don't see how it affects you personally. Who cares?

Also, what the fuck is a "fadster"?
09:56 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
Male - 27 Years Old

Yeah. I usually start these thinking itll be one paragraph. 27 mins later, i have an autobio. Glad we're on the same page tho. ;)

p.s. no hate for fadsters. I'm guilty of buying a few vinyl myself. But I don't try to defend it as a legitimate purchase of higher quality music. I know what its about. I'm not about to lie to myself.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets