AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, The - Eh Tu, Brute? Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5.5
Musicianship 4.25
Lyrics 5.5
Production 6.25
Creativity 1
Lasting Value 1.25
Reviewer Tilt 3.75
Final Verdict: 39%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3.75
Musicianship 4.25
Lyrics 3.5
Production 4.5
Creativity 3
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 4.25
Average: 40%
Inside AP.net

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, The - Eh Tu, Brute?

Reviewed by: TDenverFan (04/17/13)
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Eh Tu, Brute?
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: March 15, 2013

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus released a pretty decent song, actually. The only issue is, it's 19 minutes long. Honestly, the EP as a whole is not awful, but each song truly sounds all but identical, making it nearly impossible to listen to all at once. Ronnie Winter, the band's vocalist, has a decent voice, but he sings in the same key in virtually every song, and rarely attempts to change his pitch throughout a song. The guitar work is decent, but again, varies little from song to song. And almost every song follows the same patter; fast part, slows down, speeds up, slows down, with occasional (and unnecessary) screaming thrown in.

The album kicks off with "The Crazy Ones." It gives a bit of a nod to the Shakespeare inspired titled, with a decently catchy lyric in the chorus 'We can live like Romeo and Juliet/ Montague and Capulet.' I appreciated the literary nod, but it does little to mask the blandness of the song. Up next is "Wide is the Gate," which makes a half-hearted attempt to vary from the norm a bit. Winter begins this song with a very fast paced, rough sounding verse, followed up with some screams. This is then repeated throughout the album more times than I'd like, making the novelty wear off quickly. An unimpressive guitar solo followed by some very slow singing are then added to the mix, a bit cliche but it beats more screaming. "Cards" is up next, and outside of some overproduced guitars to start the song, it's a rather forgettable piece. Honestly, forgettable describes all the songs on the EP. None of the choruses are overly impressive, the guitar work never shines, the drums do little besides keep the beat, some cliche screams, and sub-par vocals all combine for a sub-par EP. I'll probably repeat this line several times throughout the review, but it is really the best way to describe Eh Tu, Brute?

At this point, I had to take a quick break and played Bowling For Soup's "Punk Rock 101", a welcome reprieve from 20 minutes of The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. Suddenly, the humorous band from Wichita Falls, Texas, look like musical geniuses. A line from this song, "Same song different Chorus" describes this album well. Every song sounds the same, but with a new chorus.

Back to the EP, "You Can't Trust Anyone these Days," isn't awful. Winter's vocals, even with the off-putting screams, are surprisingly stronger on this song, and the whole band seems to have stepped up a bit. It tells a familiar tale of someone you trusted turning their back on you, but features a decently catchy chorus and much improved guitar work, although it ends awkwardly. Perhaps a shred of the band that wrote the smash hit "Face Down" and the album "Don't You Fake it Remains."

Or not.

"Remember Me" sees the band return to their comfort zone, with a chorus that basically goes "Remember me at my best" a couple of times, tacks on a mediocre guitar solo, and calls it a day. For whatever reason, this band insists on putting in solos into almost every song, although they are unnecessary and often poorly done. An acoustic/slow song, "Chariot" closes out the album. This song could have been great, but it's not. The begging makes the song sound as though it is building up towards a massive hook, and I was actually thinking it would be a pretty solid song. Alas, it is not. The song picks up about 3 and a half minutes in, far too long for me to remain interested in the piece.

Overall, the EP isn't bad, but there is nothing about it that makes it good. Each song on their own (Mostly) isn't awful, but they're all very similar (Minus "Chariot") and blend far too much to make the EP listenable as a whole.

4/10

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
10:27 AM on 05/01/13
iamalexenglish
Whats a user title?
User Info.
I didn't listen to it but why would they think it was a good idea to not have a record company at their back.
03:39 PM on 05/02/13
Grindlord
The lord of Grindcore and Metalcore
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These guys should stop already.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates