Password

06:36 AM on 04/19/13 
User Info.
Wutz
Don't Worry, I'm A Pilot
Bismarck, North...
Male - 30 Years Old
Just to piggy-back on to what the cats before me said:

A lot of people need that extra "life purpose" to get sober. Imagine trying to convince a junky that there's nothing to live for but should do the damn-near insurmountable task of getting clean.

If there's no forgiveness, no physical/earthly reward for changing, and nothing past this life to live for; why change?

That's why there's a religious element to most addiction recovery programs.

A large component of addiction recovery is apology and earning forgiveness. Many have to apologize to everyone they've ever hurt through their addictions. Most of those people don't offer them forgiveness. Humans have a desire/need for a clean conscience and guilt free life. If you have an all-forgiving, merciful God who will accept all your past and future failures (provided you truly are remorseful), then the desire for human-to-human forgiveness is lessened and an unforgiving sister, father, or ex isn't as much of a derailing factor.

That said: every time anyone posts religious stuff online it makes me fuckin' furious.

It's exactly the same thing as saying "Happy birthday to my little two-year-old miracle. Life was so empty before you were in my life." Really? I didn't realize your two-year-old had a twitter account. Maybe that sort of interaction would be more meaningful if you just said those things to your social-media-savvy toddler in person.

It's an outward sign that person is broadcasting in the hopes that others see that person the way they'd like to be seen (whether or not the image they're projecting is a reflection of reality is another story - sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't).

It's a show of insecurity.

If you're really so truly godly (or happy you're a mother, or in love with your boyfriend of three-months, etc.) why do you need to hold up a billboard saying it? Shouldn't we be able to tell by your actions?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos