RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
For $100,000
12:10 PM on 04/19/13
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
I wish people would give me money so I can go to work and make money.
Let's just all go home. Thread over here.
01:17 PM on 04/19/13
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
How much does Bemis pull in yearly from his Song Shop? At least $200,000+ right?
01:30 PM on 04/19/13
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
good point. Great time to link this article

http://www.forbes.com/sites/leorgali...gs-for-fans/2/

He's made well over $200,000 on the song shop, per this article, not counting revenue from merch/touring Say Anything.

...And his wife is begging for a $100,000 handout crying poor.
Yeah, what I thought. Honestly, people can spend their money however they like, but this whole campaign raises some eyebrows for sure.
02:06 PM on 04/19/13
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Man remember when Ace Enders and his wife raised two children on the road by themselves? In a van?
02:11 PM on 04/19/13
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Give us the truth, Taters. What is your opine on this subject?

It makes no sense for Jason to comment on stuff like this. It could only end poorly for his site.

That said, I'm not him, so I don't know how candid he wants to be here.
02:24 PM on 04/19/13
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
1) That I, personally, would not take newborns out on a tour. As parent's 100% call to do it.

2) That I think collecting money before a tour feels backwards. As the one's touring 100% their call to do it.

3) That asking for $100,000 is pretty crazy. I don't know many people that make that for a living in general. But if their fans want to pay for that and like the gifts -- that's 100% their call to do it.

4) Not the kind of thing I personally back on Kickstarter. I back pre-orders for awesome not made products (love my evolution dock), or movies I wanna see (Calvin Hobbes Documentary / Veronica Mars) that need the money to make the actual tangible products I'll then receive in the mail.

5) That as a music fan I want to support bands I love. I do this by buying their music, paying for streaming services, buying merch, and buying tickets to shows. If it got down to it to support a band ... I'd rather give a musician, directly, 30 bucks for a download of a new album so they can keep making music and releasing it ... then back something for a tour I probably won't go see, and items I don't really want.
Props
09:43 AM on 04/20/13
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
One thing I'm pretty sure everyone has failed to notice, from the 8 pages or so that I read, this isn't for one tour. It's for every tour until they decide to record a new album, which is going to be a ways off. Think 1.5-2 years, roughly. Also, I don't think you guys realize how many fans from the UK and Australia want them to come tour over there. So that would also include the cost of plane tickets, equipment, etc. I do agree that they should have some better incentives. I'm a huge fan of this band but I think that they should include the rewards before each one. I don't think this is an awful idea, I just think it needs to be fine tuned. I will also say, I think it'd be better to just take time off when you've got that many kiddos. However, if they can pull off having the kids with them, more power to them.

Also, to address them being dropped by two labels: they weren't dropped. They left and they were only on WB. They were one Reprise, but it's a part of WB, so it's still WB. WB didn't like The Valley so they were offered a way out by the only guy at WB that pushed for them to succeed and they took the offer. They took the album with them cause WB said they didn't want it; until they were picked up by EVR a few months later. Then WB didn't want to let the album go and they had to fight for it for 2 years.

Also, I am not sure if EVR is a big enough label to put all of their acts out on tour. How Eisley made Currents was from the prior tour. They toured and used that money to build a studio to record. EVR put the money up for that tour so Eisley could put that money towards the studio. It's a smart move really. EVR won't have to put out costs for Eisley to record anywhere which will save EVR a ton of money in the long run. Also, they're an indie label, so it's not going to be like they have unlimited amounts of cash at their disposal.

I'm just trying to throw some actual info out there because some of you seem to have no idea what you're talking about. Don't post on subjects that you don't have any knowledge in.
You can't just say WE NEED $100,000 FOR TOURING and expect people to blindly pay that. If you walked into a meeting with investors and had no concrete plans or timeline, you'd get laughed out of the room. A little transparency would be nice here.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos