AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Atreyu News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Interview With Atreyu

Posted by - 08:19 PM on 04/21/08
Read my interview with Dan Jacobs from Atreyu here.
From the InterviewIt's kind of like, screw it, to an extent. Because every record you put out, everyone's gonna have their favorite record. You can't please everyone. You always keep that in mind - to put something out that you're stoked on. You're gonna lose fans, you're gonna gain fans. It levels out.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
08:37 PM on 04/21/08
Momo32T
User Info.
Look, Dan can say what he wants, but Lead Sails Paper Anchor was awful. They should just forget about it failure and focus on a new and better record. Maybe getting away from Hollywood Records would be a start. You can't be on the same label as Hillary Duff and expect any credibility.
08:41 PM on 04/21/08
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
its not the label, they write the songs they write. i dont really think some cockmuch is out their telling them how to write songs and what kind of songs tor write.
08:42 PM on 04/21/08
Drown_The_City
A contender now throwing the fight
User Info.
especially when the other records were sooooooooooo much better
08:51 PM on 04/21/08
.KillMoneen.
User Info.
i mean for fuck sakes..the new shit sounds like good charlotte....and they were boring to watch at taste of chaos....
09:15 PM on 04/21/08
George-Michael
User Info.
its like screw it, fuck your fans, you cant please everyone.
09:41 PM on 04/21/08
Shoorty0690
User Info.
its not the label, they write the songs they write. i dont really think some cockmuch is out their telling them how to write songs and what kind of songs tor write.

That is what major record labels do. They can tell the bands to do whatever they say. And they will do it. Why do you think so many bands get dropped? They don't follow orders.
09:54 PM on 04/21/08
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
That is what major record labels do. They can tell the bands to do whatever they say. And they will do it. Why do you think so many bands get dropped? They don't follow orders.

yeah, i mean dillinger escape plan talked to a few labels (majors) and they told them they had to tone down their live show and bring in hit song writers in case the album flopped their would be good singles, but they chose not to sign based on that bullshit. while many majors law down the foot, i dont think that is the case with ALL major record labels and bands contracts. but i do agree they do that a lot.
10:04 PM on 04/21/08
Shoorty0690
User Info.
yeah, i mean dillinger escape plan talked to a few labels (majors) and they told them they had to tone down their live show and bring in hit song writers in case the album flopped their would be good singles, but they chose not to sign based on that bullshit. while many majors law down the foot, i dont think that is the case with ALL major record labels and bands contracts. but i do agree they do that a lot.

Yea. And I really think this is what happened in the latest Atreyu album. They wanted a band notorious for hardcore to become radio friendly Cartel.

This may sound stupid, but if you haven't seen it, check out the last episode of Drake and Josh where Drake signs a contract for his hit single. When he records it, the producers pop it up and make it radio friendly and ruin the song. This stuff does happen in the industry. This is why it, for the most part, is better to sign to a smaller label that cares about its bands. You may not make bank like Fall Out Boy, but you'll certainly be happier with your albums, because you didn't have million dollar writers on your CD making lyrics and guitar riffs.
10:26 PM on 04/21/08
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
Yea. And I really think this is what happened in the latest Atreyu album. They wanted a band notorious for hardcore to become radio friendly Cartel.

This may sound stupid, but if you haven't seen it, check out the last episode of Drake and Josh where Drake signs a contract for his hit single. When he records it, the producers pop it up and make it radio friendly and ruin the song. This stuff does happen in the industry. This is why it, for the most part, is better to sign to a smaller label that cares about its bands. You may not make bank like Fall Out Boy, but you'll certainly be happier with your albums, because you didn't have million dollar writers on your CD making lyrics and guitar riffs.

yeah i mean, i used to listen to atreyu a lot and i think it sucks they dropped the hardcore and metal-ness of their sound and gone with a more refined poppier rock sound. but as to what you were saying, underoath is a PERFECT example i think imop. They are a band that sells 80-100k opening week on and large INDIE and have still maintied their integrity and sound. They could have signed with majors as they had many offers but they stuck with what works for them and it fucking shows. GREAT band. i love every record they put out
10:48 PM on 04/21/08
canvasisabttfld
User Info.
Look, Dan can say what he wants, but Lead Sails Paper Anchor was awful. They should just forget about it failure and focus on a new and better record. Maybe getting away from Hollywood Records would be a start. You can't be on the same label as Hillary Duff and expect any credibility.

They made the cd they wanted to make and are proud of it.... so now its your turn. email me your bands link and let me hear your music, but don't tell me why your not on a major label, because I'll probably hear why.
It's a great record and they shred it every night.
11:11 PM on 04/21/08
Momo32T
User Info.
They made the cd they wanted to make and are proud of it.... so now its your turn. email me your bands link and let me hear your music, but don't tell me why your not on a major label, because I'll probably hear why.

Way to assume I am in a band because I commented in this thread. I'm not in a band, but I still have the right to say the album was bad. I have liked all of Atreyu's previous work, but this was a travesty. You might be one of the few who actually liked this record.
11:15 PM on 04/21/08
scathemonster
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yeah i mean, i used to listen to atreyu a lot and i think it sucks they dropped the hardcore and metal-ness of their sound and gone with a more refined poppier rock sound. but as to what you were saying, underoath is a PERFECT example i think imop. They are a band that sells 80-100k opening week on and large INDIE and have still maintied their integrity and sound. They could have signed with majors as they had many offers but they stuck with what works for them and it fucking shows. GREAT band. i love every record they put out

You don't think indies tell their bands how to sound? You better stop being so naive. Its more so the bigger indies, but still. There is a lot more going on than you think.
11:33 PM on 04/21/08
chazburgr
User Info.

If you have to be a musician to be able to comment about music, then that defeats the purpose of this whole website, the comments and reviews, and of having opinions of things in the first place. That's like saying a chef, proud of his work, could bring out a plate of salad with some shit sprinkled on, and you had no right to comment about the shit because you arent a chef.

If you don't think Hollywood Records had an impact on Atreyu, then justify why a band would COMPLETELY eliminate all traces of their Victory Records albums and songs from their Myspace. There's not a single mention of The Curse or Suicide Notes. It's like they abandoned their past. Or even better, that they only serve to push the new material, AKA, the Hollywood Records repackaged Atreyu.
11:35 PM on 04/21/08
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.
never paid attention after the cure, but that record was the shit back when it came out.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos