Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
$5 million is a good amount of money.
09:28 AM on 04/22/08
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And the bones we make are the result of the collective excitement of guys reading this site.
12:09 PM on 04/22/08
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know. It's my business. I'm the head of the music and entertainment division for IndieClick.

Like I said before - Pitchfork definitely has the EARNING POTENTIAL. I definitely don't see them selling anywhere near that capacity in ads though. Let's do the math.
  • Pitchfork = 20 million ad impressions (ad impressions ARE NOT the same as page views) per month
  • Pitchfork sells their ads for $10 CPM (cost per 1000 ad impressions)
  • Pitchfork sells ALL of their ad inventory for the month at a $10 CPM.
  • Pitchfork makes $200,000 that month.
  • If Pitchfork does this consistently for 12 months they would make 2.4 million a year.
As far as the slight typo domains - the only ads you'll be able to put on that site are "Punch The Monkey" and "Fart Button" type ads which sell for $0.50 CPM. No major agency is going to buy ad premium ad inventory on a site that has no dedicated user base or reach.

PS. For anyone reading this - feel free to contact me if you're interested in advertising on this site.
Still, $2.4 million for doing something that they (hopefully) love is nothing to be sad about. Coupled with the server costs (probably pretty high even though they don't host much content [that I'm aware of]) and the staff costs, they should still make a decent living sitting on the computer all day and talking about music.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests