Username
Password

Comments: Page 7
Displaying posts 90 - 95 of 95
12:14 AM on 05/20/08
frisk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Pretty good review, but I think you got it all wrong about "Music Box", which is one of my favorite tracks on the album.

It's not about the Dad trying to be a good dad - to the opposite, he's a pretty lousy dad. Lines like "health conscious Dad he buys her the juice" are kinda sarcastic - he buys her the juice, but he's habitually feeding her fast food. He waits until she's asleep to smoke up in the car, but he's still driving around with his baby girl in the car, high.

The song relates back to the whole theme of fatherhood - it is written from the perspective of a 4 or 5 year old girl who idolizes her dad, but isn't old enough to realize that he's pretty shitty. She loves him because he's her father, and kinda dotes on her, but she's to young to understand everything else about his lifestyle that is not condusive to good child raising. It's actually a pretty sad song, and I'd love to hear the duo write another from the same girl's perspective, ten years later.

"Daddies drive around, mommas work night shifts"

" Yeah, Daddy knows people, he's important, the guy with the suit and tie they see at the court and it seems like he ain't tryin to talk to police , but at the car wash they treat him like the star that she sees"

Her parents have a rocky relationship, and she spends her nights with her Dad as he rolls around dealing ("can't keep a messy office"). He dotes on her, as her baby girl, but he's severely flawed - this is evidenced by his waiting until she's asleep to smoke up, and the whole thing where her singing the word "bitch" to the (presumably relatively misogynistic) gangsta rap makes him laugh.

"Escape is a paradox because her childhood is locked in that music box"

The "music box" is her Dad's car. She's happy now because she's too young to really have a balanced worldview of her situation, but she's at least a bit fucked. Her parents fight, her dad brings her along in the car (presumably can't afford a babysitter) while he hustles and her mom is working food service or some other "night shift" type job. The whole song is the setup for a massive disillusionment that will come in a couple of years. And it ties into the general theme of the album that is fatherhood.

I'd also like to add that "The Waitress" should be considered a standout track. Very compelling story, and I'm still trying to decide if the bum is the waitresses' father, or if it's just a really weird father/daughter relationship between two fucked up individuals.
12:28 AM on 07/14/08
bummm
Slave 2 tha booty
User Info.
Solid.
10:18 PM on 08/24/08
rawkus3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
solid,solid,solid. an album that took me 3 listens to appreciate. so far different that anything else they put out. (other than the sad clown bad dub ep's). maybe my favorite of theirs except for lucy ford and overcast.
12:24 AM on 02/22/09
OnPluto
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Don't forget the amazing flute work on The Waitress.
12:26 AM on 02/22/09
OnPluto
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Pretty good review, but I think you got it all wrong about "Music Box", which is one of my favorite tracks on the album.

It's not about the Dad trying to be a good dad - to the opposite, he's a pretty lousy dad. Lines like "health conscious Dad he buys her the juice" are kinda sarcastic - he buys her the juice, but he's habitually feeding her fast food. He waits until she's asleep to smoke up in the car, but he's still driving around with his baby girl in the car, high.

The song relates back to the whole theme of fatherhood - it is written from the perspective of a 4 or 5 year old girl who idolizes her dad, but isn't old enough to realize that he's pretty shitty. She loves him because he's her father, and kinda dotes on her, but she's to young to understand everything else about his lifestyle that is not condusive to good child raising. It's actually a pretty sad song, and I'd love to hear the duo write another from the same girl's perspective, ten years later.

"Daddies drive around, mommas work night shifts"

" Yeah, Daddy knows people, he's important, the guy with the suit and tie they see at the court and it seems like he ain't tryin to talk to police , but at the car wash they treat him like the star that she sees"

Her parents have a rocky relationship, and she spends her nights with her Dad as he rolls around dealing ("can't keep a messy office"). He dotes on her, as her baby girl, but he's severely flawed - this is evidenced by his waiting until she's asleep to smoke up, and the whole thing where her singing the word "bitch" to the (presumably relatively misogynistic) gangsta rap makes him laugh.

"Escape is a paradox because her childhood is locked in that music box"

The "music box" is her Dad's car. She's happy now because she's too young to really have a balanced worldview of her situation, but she's at least a bit fucked. Her parents fight, her dad brings her along in the car (presumably can't afford a babysitter) while he hustles and her mom is working food service or some other "night shift" type job. The whole song is the setup for a massive disillusionment that will come in a couple of years. And it ties into the general theme of the album that is fatherhood.

I'd also like to add that "The Waitress" should be considered a standout track. Very compelling story, and I'm still trying to decide if the bum is the waitresses' father, or if it's just a really weird father/daughter relationship between two fucked up individuals.
btw. Genius comment.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version