AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Owl City - Maybe I'm Dreaming Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.47
Musicianship 9.22
Lyrics 9
Production 9.03
Creativity 9.66
Lasting Value 9.16
Reviewer Tilt 9.44
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Owl City - Maybe I'm Dreaming

Reviewed by: alice+interiors (04/23/08)
Owl City - Maybe I'm Dreaming
Record Label: None
Release Date: March 18, 2008

Owl City is the solo project of a young Christian named Adam Young. Another product of the ever emerging electronic/indie scene, Young's project is a breath of fresh air for the scene as he takes a much more metaphorical stance towards his music. As Owl City, he has released one EP, 2007's Of June, and now a full length debut entitled Maybe I'm Dreaming. Additionally, Young has a post-rock venture called Port Blue, and a new side project, started with a close friend, called Swimming with Dolphins.

Maybe I'm Dreaming kicks off in dreamy fashion with "On the Wing" and "Rainbow Veins," two beautifully flowing efforts which carry the listener away into another world. It's this peaceful and soothing charm that makes Owl City so likable. Two of the best tracks on the album follow, each standing out in their own mellow style. "The Saltwater Room" resides in the mind with a glorious vocal harmony and a smooth, simple melody. Young's soft tone is exemplified throughout the album, and in a genre where so many concentrate too hard on auto-tuning their voices, Young's musical abilities shine throughout Maybe I'm Dreaming. The vocals complement the music's consistent base, and Young switches between the melancholy sound used repeatedly on Of June, and a new style with powerful, probing aural effects.

As previously stated, Young relies more than most on metaphorical lyrics, delving into the real world only occasionally when he talks about love and some similarly strong emotions. While this approach often works flawlessly, it can sound slightly forced and unnatural. This is particularly clear in "Early Birdie," which is probably the weakest song on Maybe I'm Dreaming. The rhyme between the words "home" and "alone" is overused, but as Young progresses and matures, this will surely be remedied.

It is distinctly obvious that Young has potential surpassed by few in his genre, and Maybe I'm Dreaming is an effective portrayal of how Young has progressed. The emotion is almost touchable, and the way Owl City picks you up, takes you on a journey of the sky and other surreal and abstract worlds, and then gently sets you down again, is amazing.

Recommended if You LikePlayRadioPlay!, The Postal Service, A Rocket to the Moon

myspace.com/owlcity

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
09:46 AM on 04/28/08
loohsee
User Info.
i like the cheesey phrases in this review.
but seriously you're really good at reviewing matt, ict wednesday lunchtime right?
09:47 AM on 04/28/08
TheOtherAndrew
[UNINTELLIGIBLE SCREAMING]
User Info.
Nice review, Matt. Good to see you contributing.
01:18 PM on 04/28/08
zFrog
Giancarlo
User Info.
I love owl city, nice review.
03:10 PM on 04/28/08
checkered.stars
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice job Matt!
04:34 PM on 04/29/08
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good Review. Is the the album with Hello Seattle? My sister listens to that song all the goddamn time.
04:41 AM on 05/03/08
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
Good Review. Is the the album with Hello Seattle? My sister listens to that song all the goddamn time.

nope, that's on the Of June EP.
I'm planning a review of that too, sometime soon.
07:51 AM on 05/03/08
Viewtiful Joel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow, I'm so glad I checked this review out! I usually don't like electronica pop but there is something different about this guy. This stuff is amazing!
12:33 PM on 05/22/08
Regards
The Silver Shore
User Info.
Well done!
12:48 AM on 05/28/08
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
thanks Kris.
11:28 PM on 07/13/08
bummm
Slave 2 tha booty
User Info.
I agree.
11:42 AM on 10/12/08
the1
Blink One Eighty Who??
User Info.
This is quite different to the stuff I usually listen to, but it's so frickin sugary that its hard not to like. Saltwater Rooms is my fav atm
08:45 AM on 12/02/08
TheClockworks
User Info.
He is possibly the only artist alive that uses autotune right.
09:18 PM on 12/28/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this album rules.
11:19 PM on 09/05/09
Susanna
Gotta big big big heartbeat, yeah
User Info.
I was at a record store today and came across an Owl City album and on the front was a sticker with a quote from you. It says "The way Owl City picks you up, takes you on a journey of the sky and other surreal and abstract worlds, and then gently sets you down again, is amazing." - AbsolutePunk.net Not sure if you knew about that, I thought it was pretty awesome.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums