Password

Album Review

Nonpoint - Nonpoint Album Cover

Nonpoint - Nonpoint

Reviewed by
Nonpoint - Nonpoint
Record Label: Razor & Tie
Release Date: October 9, 2012
So not too long ago, the rock band Nonpoint, who have been around since 1997, put out their seventh record. I've been sitting here for a while just staring at a blank screen, waiting for some clever anecdote to pop into my head that could smoothly segue into my opinions on this record, but there's really nothing to be said except for one thing. It's bad.

Before you start thinking otherwise, I don't think it's bad because of their genre or the sound they're going for. I find nothing wrong with slightly radio friendly rock tunes every now and then, sometimes I really love them, but every genre has its bands that hold up the lower end of the spectrum, and Nonpoint would definitely be one of them. This album is bad simply because it's completely thoughtless and uninspired. There isn't an ounce of effort anywhere to be found on this album; each song just recycles the same sounding guitar riffs with drums and bass that do nothing but follow along. Wherever there's a moment where the songwriting sounds like it's going outside the box, like on the tracks "Go Time" and "Ashes," it ends up just being a moment where the band is forcing themselves to write something different simply for the sake of being different.

As if that weren't enough evidence that this album is completely devoid of any effort, there are the lyrics. Oh the lyrics. I'll try not to linger here too long, but let's just say that repetition runs rampant in these songs. Take the song "I Said It" for example. The chorus is nothing but vocalist Elias Soriano rambling "I said it/I said it/I'm saying that I said it/I mean it, I don't care/I don't care I don't regret it/You needed to hear it and I needed to say it/I'm not playing, I just said it/No I don't regret it." I think that pretty much speaks for itself. If you dare to take a look for yourself, let me just warn you that it gets worse.

Another particularly weak point that is probably the biggest thing holding Nonpoint back from garnering attention is the lackluster melody writing. Just about every chorus on this album is centered around a single note. Soriano will sing that note for most of the chorus, every now and then straying for a moment, just to go right back. A lot of the songs like the opener "Lights, Camera, Action" have very rapid vocal lines delivered nu-metal style, so the limited melodies have even more attention brought to them, much to Nonpoint's disadvantage. Even a few of the more radio-rock-sounding songs face the same problem, although slightly less so than the rest. They at least make for a fairly listenable part of Nonpoint.

I figure the best way to summarize this in one sentence is to say that Nonpoint has taken everything that's wrong with nu-metal and everything wrong with mainstream radio rock, threw it together on an album, and released it. That's what we're dealing with here. If you were a fan of the band, I don't know what to tell you. I'm fairly unfamiliar with their catalog, but I would hope they had never put out an album as bad as this one before. Whether you were a fan or not though, take my advice and just let this one go. Maybe just check out "The Way I See Things" or even "Pandora's Box" and just forget about the rest. You won't regret it, trust me. Maybe you can go pick up the new Nickelback record instead...

3.25/10
This review is a user submitted review from dmcaloon. You can see all of dmcaloon's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version