AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Boogie Boy Metal Mouth - Boogie Boy Metal Mouth Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 10
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.75
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 92%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Boogie Boy Metal Mouth - Boogie Boy Metal Mouth

Reviewed by: AttAss (04/23/13)
Boogie Boy Metal Mouth - Boogie Boy Metal Mouth
Record Label: I had An Accident
Release Date: February 18, 2013

Rightfully so, it always concern me when I receive a package with the genre “punk rap” written on the one sheet. I sit and think about all the deranged garbage I’ve heard over the years, reluctantly I inspect the cover of the debut release by Boogie Boy Metal Mouth. Apparent duo featuring the likes of J.Ring on vocals and DJ Emoh Betta on the turntable. The Boston based group has some old school roots, growing up in the city and spending a lot of time in the underground scenes from hardcore and punk to hip hop and rap, Ring and Betta have some serious experience to bring to the table. Its refreshing to understand that Betta actually uses a turntable on this album - all scratch, no button pushing. When listening to this tape, that is a distinction that is very important to keep in mind.

So here we have it, two old school players coming together to produce something as raw and talented as they are, but completely different than what is expected. A blend of sounds bridging blues, punk, rap, hip hop, and a pronounced Boston sound. The end result is the debut album Boogie Boy Metal Mouth. The album flows naturally, and it becomes very clear these guys spent a lot of time working on this, and the end result doesn’t sound forced, stylistically speaking it is unique, but it is so well put together its hard to not imagine this unique blend supporting itself.
The opening track hits off hard with a guitar riff and some nice drumming. With sound samples and distorted vocals coming into focus, clears its throat then crashes hard with this Beastie Boys Paul’s Boutique feel smashing through the stereo.

A cassette player boom box dream as “All I Want” comes crashing through with Ring’s lyrical prowess pouncing hard on the mic. A clear stand out track as it just rolls smoothly like expensive whiskey. As we pour shot after shot of whiskey the album masterfully follows our own experiences with breakdowns, transitions, and this boogie psychodelic rockabilly-like vocal stylings. The middle of the tape starts getting real hard, “It Ain’t Nothin’” slangs harsh with combative vocals that continues through to “Boogie Boy Metal Mouth.” “Died, Didn’t Know” breaks things down with a much more street hip hop reminiscent of 80s Yo MTV Raps era. And what follows is the blues, much more calmer in his plea of vocals, with the insane turntablism of Betta, the album may slow down towards the end but the overall feel isn’t dragged on.

The anger calms itself, and if you are following along with a bottle of whiskey, this drunken journey is naturally allowing you to let the booze catch up. “Maybe You Lie” is the last attempt for BBMM to rise up the anger until the realization of that deep issue you’ve been trying to drown finally grasps your heart, and with a harmonica and blues riff, “Downstairs Neighbor (Ode To Koala)” is the after-party. You are no longer in the moment and everything crashes into this one track, the blues, the mess you call your life. Boogie Boy Metal Mouth has exposed it all.
On orange cassettes limited to 60.

Recommended If You LikePunk, Rap, Hip Hop; Beastie Boys; loud

http://boogieboymetalmouth.bandcamp.com

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums