Password

Album Review

Rancid - B Sides and C Sides Album Cover

Rancid - B Sides and C Sides

Reviewed by
Rancid - B Sides and C Sides
Record Label: Rancid Records
Release Date: January 15, 2008
Having listened to my share of Rancid albums, I can tell you that the one flaw they all share (yes, even …And Out Come the Wolves) is they simply have too many songs. Even the best bands have a hard time making albums interesting for more than 13 or 14 songs, and Rancid have never been an exception. So when the news broke that they were releasing a rarities album with 21 songs on it, I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. With B Sides and C Sides, the band offers up some extremely enjoyable gems from their past, but doesn’t manage to break this streak.

The album contains all the usual ups and downs of a Rancid record, and if played consecutively with discs like Life Won’t Wait and Indestructible, it would take a while for the listener to realize that this is a compilation of scrapped songs. Tracks like “Ben Zanatto” and “Clockwork Orange” would sound right at home on any of the band’s other records, and “Dead and Gone” gives a rare glimpse of bassist Matt Freeman singing lead vocals. The irresistible ska/reggae songs are here too. “Stop” easily ranks as one of the catchiest songs in the band’s discography, and reggae track “Things to Come” makes for a great break from the high tempos and fast beats that the majority of the album contains. B Sides and C Sides also contains a few experimental tracks. “100 Years” is a rare instrumental that really lets Matt Freeman’s bass playing shine, which any Rancid fan will know is one of their strengths, and “Devil’s Dance” shows the band trying its hand at rockabilly.

Unfortunately, the disc has its share of songs that fall flat. Most of these are hardcore influenced songs like “White Knuckle Ride” and “Kill the Lights.” Hardcore songs have never played to Rancid’s strengths, so it’s a bit frustrating that they keep writing them. “I Wanna Riot” is one of the few ska songs the band has ever done that doesn’t really work; the song comes out the gate pretty slowly and never manages to become interesting. These few songs don’t ruin the disc by themselves, but coupled with a few so-so tracks like “Blast ‘Em” and “Sick Sad World,” B Sides and C Sides loses a lot of momentum and becomes fairly easily forgotten.

While B Sides and C Sides isn’t too bad for a rarities album, it's pretty easy to cast aside when you ignore this clause. Rancid fans who need something to tide them over until their next album should pick it up, but for everybody else, this one should be avoided. Stick to …And Out Come the Wolves and Let’s Go. Sure, they go on longer than they should, but at least the songs are better.

Recommended Tracks“Stop,” “Clockwork Orange,” “Dead and Gone”

Recommended if You LikeSkipping a lot of songs to get to the good stuff

myspace.com/rancid
This review is a user submitted review from TheOtherAndrew. You can see all of TheOtherAndrew's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
09:08 AM on 05/01/08
patrickhowell
myspace.com/someonejustlikeyou
User Info.
I don't think that either of these are so "rare" or "few," since each account for over 10% of Rancid's catalog...

Ska Songs:
1. Time Bomb
2. Daly City Train
3. Old Friend
4. Red Hot Moon
5. Arrested In Shanghai
6. Memphis
7. Back Up Against The Wall
8. Stand Your Ground
9. Black Lung
10. Life Won't Wait
11. Hooligans
12. Crane Fist
13. Backslide
14. Who Would've Thought
15. Cocktails
16. Wrongful Suspicion
17. Corazon De Oro
18. Coppers

Songs with Matt on lead vocals:
1. Tenderloin
2. Gunshot
3. Ghetto Box (Chorus)
4. Black & Blue
5. Adina
6. Detroit (Chorus)
7. Whirlwind (Chorus)
8. Rejected
9. The Bottle
10. Trenches
11. Unwritten Rules
12. Corruption
13. Black Derby Jacket
14. Rigged On A Fix
15. Reconciliation

(I could have missed some, I just glanced through my iTunes)
01:36 PM on 05/01/08
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
User Info.
I don't think that either of these are so "rare" or "few," since each account for over 10% of Rancid's catalog...

Ska Songs:
1. Time Bomb
2. Daly City Train
3. Old Friend
4. Red Hot Moon
5. Arrested In Shanghai
6. Memphis
7. Back Up Against The Wall
8. Stand Your Ground
9. Black Lung
10. Life Won't Wait
11. Hooligans
12. Crane Fist
13. Backslide
14. Who Would've Thought
15. Cocktails
16. Wrongful Suspicion
17. Corazon De Oro
18. Coppers

Songs with Matt on lead vocals:
1. Tenderloin
2. Gunshot
3. Ghetto Box (Chorus)
4. Black & Blue
5. Adina
6. Detroit (Chorus)
7. Whirlwind (Chorus)
8. Rejected
9. The Bottle
10. Trenches
11. Unwritten Rules
12. Corruption
13. Black Derby Jacket
14. Rigged On A Fix
15. Reconciliation

(I could have missed some, I just glanced through my iTunes)
I never said ska songs were rare in Rancid's catalog, they're pretty common actually. I said that I Wanna Riot is one of the few ska songs they've done that doesn't work.

And I'm pretty sure most of the Freeman songs are from earlier in the band's catalog. There haven't been that many since And Out Come the Wolves. Regardless, 12 songs out of more than 200 (not counting the ones where he only songs the chorus) is still pretty rare.
03:45 PM on 05/01/08
patrickhowell
myspace.com/someonejustlikeyou
User Info.
I never said ska songs were rare in Rancid's catalog, they're pretty common actually. I said that I Wanna Riot is one of the few ska songs they've done that doesn't work.

Alright, that makes sense.

And I'm pretty sure most of the Freeman songs are from earlier in the band's catalog. There haven't been that many since And Out Come the Wolves. Regardless, 12 songs out of more than 200 (not counting the ones where he only songs the chorus) is still pretty rare.

He sang a lot on Rancid (1993), Let's Go, and Rancid (2000)
11:59 PM on 05/01/08
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
User Info.
He sang a lot on Rancid (1993), Let's Go, and Rancid (2000)
...which reinforces my point that Freeman songs are rare since Out Come the Wolves. Songs with him singing lead may not be as rare as say, Rancid songs with acoustic guitars or rockabilly/psychobilly influenced tracks, but they're still not nearly as common as tracks with Tim or Lars singing.
06:40 AM on 05/02/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
good review. let's argue now.
12:14 PM on 05/02/08
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
User Info.
good review. let's argue now.
you have dumb face.
08:53 AM on 05/04/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
I think Rancid (2000) is one of their stronger albums, specifically because it has a quick hardcore pace. They really brought the energy up on that disc, as much as I enjoy their other releases.

I haven't listened to this B-sides CD, but I would probably enjoy the hardcore songs. Plus I heard somewhere that "White Knuckle Ride" has a tasty bass solo- always a positive.
09:46 AM on 05/04/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
you have no punx cred.
09:49 AM on 05/05/08
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
User Info.
you have no punx cred.
you are to punx as KFC is to chicken
09:53 AM on 05/05/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
you are to punx as KFC is to chicken
goddammit now I want chicken. fuck my school for giving us some crappy excuse for a gyro for lunch. oh and while I'm at it, you are to punx as My Stupid Life is to NN2S.

actually I don't know what that means.
10:55 AM on 05/05/08
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
User Info.
goddammit now I want chicken. fuck my school for giving us some crappy excuse for a gyro for lunch. oh and while I'm at it, you are to punx as My Stupid Life is to NN2S.

actually I don't know what that means.
hahaha, that's awesome. ironically i now want some KFC.
12:14 PM on 05/05/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
hahaha, that's awesome. ironically i now want some KFC.
haha I love it. I know it's bad for me, but screw it. it tastes good.
12:29 PM on 05/05/08
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
User Info.
haha I love it. I know it's bad for me, but screw it. it tastes good.
America has spoken!
01:33 PM on 05/05/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
hahaha.

eating my dinner from a single bowl!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music