AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Issues - 04.26.13

Interviewed by: Jake Denning (04/26/13)
When I had first met the fellas in Issues, we were in Portland, OR at Interlace Audio, home to producer Kris Crummett (Sleeping With Sirens, Dance Gavin Dance, American Me). Who would've thought that not a short time later (or so it feels) that the band would be playing to a sold out crowd at the largest club venue in the city, with one of the biggest bands in the scene, A Day To Remember? It was an experience that many bands dream of, but never quite attain. The band made quite the impression on the crowd that night, and made them do exactly what they had wanted. What was that, you ask? Bounce. Move around. Have a night to remember.

That being said, I was very excited to catch up with the band and chat with drummer Case Snedecor, and DJ/Keys Ty "Scout" Acord. You can follow them both on twitter, @CaseSned, and @_ScoutLA, as well as the band's official twitter, @Issues

First off, congratulations on the success of Black Diamonds, it's been quite the explosion since you put it out. You've recently been on tour with Pierce The Veil, Silverstein, Attila, and now A Day To Remember, 4 large back to back to back to back tours - what are your thoughts on being a part of these tours?

Ty Acord: It was crazy, because I didn't go on the Attila, and I joined on for Silverstein, which I was SO stoked for. Then when we did the Pierce The Veil tour, it was absolutely unreal, they're one of the greatest bands in the scene. A Day To Remember and Pierce The Veil weren't even on my radar for this year, I thought it was going to take a little while, doing some small tours. We're so stoked to be where we are right now.

Yeah, and you guys mentioned while in the studio that you'd dream of one day playing arenas. You know, playing to substantially large crowds such as what you'd find on this tour, that's a pretty neat compromise. But for those who haven't seen an Issues show, what is that experience like?

Case Snedcor: It's high energy, we're all about that. We want to come across live the same way we do in recordings, we really want to hone our craft. We want people to come on out to shows and even if you're not necessarily a fan of our music, you're able to respect it.

What is your favorite song to play live, and why?

Ty Acord: Recently, it's been "Her Monologue", because we added this tiny little break before the final breakdown and it makes everything SO heavy, and it makes it so much fun to play.

Case Snedcor: I'd say "King of Amarillo" is fun, but Her Monologue was the song we thought we would drop first if we were to drop a song to play live, and then add another one...but now? Not at all, no way.

Yeah, and I remember that was the song you guys worked on so hard in the studio, the whole time I was there that day.

Case Snedcor: Yeah, that one and Princeton Ave.

Has there been anything you've learned from A Day To Remember, Silverstein, or Pierce The Veil while being on tour with them? If so, what did you learn?

Case Snedcor: Silverstein's drummer, Paul (Koehler) taught me different things - not so much about drumming, but about different ways in how to be a self-sufficient band. Also, A Day To Remember and Pierce The Veil have both showed me that you can get huge and still be the coolest people, they're so nice.

Ty Acord: With A Day To Remember, Pierce The Veil, and Silverstein, I learned the most by just watching and observing how headliners conduct themselves, how they act, as well as the caliber of show that they put on. It really just shows us where we need to be as a band eventually. They've shown us great examples of how not to be just another band, but THE band - these bands we've been touring with have really shown us that.

You have a brand new single, "Hooligans" coming out later this month. Can you describe what it's about lyrically, as well as stylistically

Case Snedcor: I think every guy in a band has those friends back home who think they're going to come back home and act like some big headed rockstar, so one of the lyrics states "The road will never change me", and that inspiration comes from just remembering where you come from. That's what the lyrics touch on.

Ty Acord: I'm definitely going to put more turntables in it, all the music we do from now on is going to have more turntables in it, I hear that a lot. Stylistically, it's going to sound a bit more "trappy" - we put a trap intro in there as far as electronics goes. As far as the metal goes, it's a little bit more technical than the other stuff, but not too technical. It's just closer to where we want to sound as a band right now, we're trying to "marriage" the electronics and heavy sides better.

I know you're currently writing for a full length debut at the moment, but a little bit closer to the radar is an acoustic EP. Are you guys getting closer to a release date? What else can you tell us about it?

Case Snedcor: We don't currently have a release date, but it is finished, I think we just got back the finals yesterday or the day before. We're calling it an acoustic EP, but it's honestly a "re-imagined" version of Black Diamonds, it's called Diamond Dreams.

So it's a similar to what Yellowcard did with their album When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes?

Case Snedcor: Yeah, but also similar to Linkin Park's Reanimation, in that they took a song and literally had a new vision for it completely, which is something Ty and Tyler (Carter) really wanted to do.

So if you didn't like Black Diamonds, then you might like this then.

Case Snedcor: Yeah, these are for our moms, who don't like screaming music.

Coming back to the full length, do you have any specific goals in mind as you're writing this?

Ty Acord: I want it to sound a bit more cohesive. It's hard to say all of what you'd like to say in only five songs, so a full length will give us more room to explore our sound further. I just want it to sound better, as we progress as a band.

I understand you'd like to go back to Kris Crummett, as he has an understanding of what you guys sound like, they way you work together, etc. Is there a high possibility you'll come back to him?

Ty Acord: We're still talking about it still.

If not Kris, who else then?

Case Snedcor: We would love to record with this guy, David Bendeth. He did Riot! by Paramore, and that would be a goal if not for this record, but the second record, because it's just a raw sound that we love. It's a very different for a heavy band to go to him.

I know that Tyler has mentioned that he'd like to have more co-writes on this record. Who does he have in mind? Blackbear?

Ty Acord: We might be working with Jeremy McKinnon, he approached Tyler and expressed interest. He's the only person he's talked about so far. I know in the beginning he was talking about co-writes, but lately he's been thinking about mostly stuff within the band.

You have a new video out for Princeton Ave. How difficult was it watching the video, as it stuck to the lyrical content of the song?

Ty Acord: It was a shock to me, just how powerful it was.

Case Snedcor: When we met the actors, I could see how talented they were. And when we saw the video, we were all shaken a little bit, and it was honestly one of the coolest feelings to be a part of something like that because not a lot of music videos touch on something like that.

You have another video coming out, this time for "Love, Sex, Riot". What can you tell us about that video?

Case Snedcor: It shows a bit more of our fun side. I dunno, there's been a lot of weird things where we're trying to make it as good as the Princeton video, and we haven't put it out yet because we want to make sure it's just the way we want it.

And you had Fronz from Attila in the video as well?

Case Snedcor: Yes.

I believe this was shot with the Robby Starbuck camp as well, right?

Case Snedcor: No, this one is with Sam Link.

Ty Acord: The last one was with the Robby Starbuck camp, Dylan Novak specifically.

If you could live in any music video forever, which one would it be and why?

Ty Acord: Definitely "Electric Feel" by MGMT, because I want to hang out with all those little animals, those guys are so cool!

Case Snedcor: Any 30 Seconds To Mars video, because those all are really cool.

Which one was it where they were in the middle of a city and they were biking together?

Case Snedcor: I KNOW which one you're talking about..."Kings & Queens".

Ty Acord: I'll tell you which video I DON'T want to be in - ANY video by Tool, absolutely no way. Those creep me out!

You guys are on Warped Tour for a little bit, July 23rd through August 4th. What are your feelings and thoughts towards being on these last two weeks of the tour?

Case Snedcor: A dream. I mean, most people in our situation went to Warped growing up, and I never thought I'd actually be doing it one day.

Ty Acord: I remember going to Warped as a kid, and Ernie Ball would have that "Battle of the Bands" contest, and whatever band I was in would compete and we would be SO stoked to play one date on one tiny stage, and now we're doing these last two weeks and we're so excited.

Who are you most excited to see on the tour?

Case Snedcor: I think our first day on the tour is the last day for Story Of The Year, so I HAVE to go see them, it's a must. It'll be really interesting to see Hawthorne Heights, that's going to be really cool.

Ty Acord: I saw Hawthorne Heights when I was younger on Warped Tour.

Case Snedcor: I want to see Bring Me The Horizon too, because their new album is sick.

Ty Acord: Is Parkway Drive on the tour this year?

Not this year, unfortunately. Maybe you're thinking of August Burns Red?

Case Snedcor: Yeah, they're going to be sick too.

Is there a band on this year's tour that you've never heard of that you're really curious about?

Ty Acord: I actually don't know the line-up that well right now, and I KNOW there's a few bands out there that I'm really stoked on, but I can't think of them right now.

Yeah, this year's tour line-up is great, a whole potpourri of fantastic bands like The Wonder Years, Chiodos, etc.

Ty Acord: Alright, I'm going to be wrong again...but is The Acacia Strain going to be on?

Nope, I wouldn't count on them playing the tour for awhile.

Ty Acord: Really? Why?

Last time they were on Warped, Portland was the last tour date and Port-O-Potties got moshed out during "Dr. Doom". Things got a little bit out of hand. I suppose it's not completely out of the question, but I talked with Vincent (Bennett, vocals) a few months ago and he said he wasn't sure if they'd ever be asked again. I sure hope they come back sometime in the future though, because I really love that band.

What sort of bands have you guys been jamming lately?

Case Snedcor: When you're on tour, you tend to check out the bands you're on tour with and listen to them. I've been listening to the latest Silverstein record (This Is How The Wind Shifts).

Ty Acord: That's a GOOD record! Also, I've been obsessed with an album by Neck Deep, Rain In July. Oh, and the new The Story So Far album, that's so good.

If you could change any one thing about the music scene, what would you change? Furthermore, what steps are needed in order to make that change?

Ty Acord: I would make music free, like CD's, etc....FREE. I know that's not exactly realistic at the moment because we wouldn't make any money, but in the future that's what's going to happen, and there's going to be other ways to monetize, because that's what's kind of happened to a lot of things already. I think that music in my fantasy land, should be free.

So you must be a huge fun of services like Spotify and Rdio then, right?

Ty Acord: If you have to pay for the music to ever hear it, sometimes we get to miss out on things that you're really going to love. But if it's free or part of subscription series like Spotify, I've fallen in love with plenty of bands like that, and I'm going to be going to their shows and buying their merch for a long time, because their music was accessible. In the days of "Oh if I want to hear the song, I have to pay a dollar for it", it's just not realistic for me - it's 2013, people are sending mp3's, zipping albums...eventually music is going to be free.

Case Snedcor: Mine's a little bit different, but it has to do with how there's so much negativity in the music scene nowadays, there's so much hate just based off what people listen to...even stuff like going to shows and beating people up or whatever it may be, I just don't appreciate the negativity between artists-fans, fans-fans, artists-artists, we're all on the same grind.

Yeah, I recently talked to Kelen from The Story So Far, and we talked about how music is for everyone. "Oh I hope so and so doesn't show up...", everyone should be able to buy a ticket and have a good time, regardless of who you are and how long you've been there.

Ty Acord: Yeah, I'm with you guys on that one, I hate all the cliques that exist....people getting mad, saying "Oh, you don't understand my scene...", well you know, the rest of the world doesn't understand ANY of our scenes, so we should find unity in that.

Are you on a fall tour after the summer?

Case Snedcor: We're hoping to, we're still trying to work a few things out.

Lastly, 19th Century poet Ralph Waldo Emerson once said "Every man is hero and an oracle to somebody, and to that person, whatever he says has an enhanced value". Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Case Snedcor: I agree.

Ty Acord: I agree for sure. Being in this scene, I've seen the reality so many times.

Do you necessarily feel any pressure to act a certain way, in order to be a good example for fans?

Case Snedcor: Yes. That's something I've put in check a lot, because there's certain times where I've thought "Why would these kids look up to me?" and I'll just do something one day and it's not cool how I treated someone or something and I'll really ask myself that question. I don't drink, and I have in the past, but I've decided to stop because I've decided I wanted to be a good example like that. Especially with kids that come up to us and tell us we saved their life, a lot of other people don't believe that "Oh, there's no way music saved you", and I disagree - music is something that has been constant in my life when other things weren't.

Ty Acord: Case and I sort of have a similar set of morals, even from the things like where we make it a point to not cuss on Twitter, it's just kind of live as what I looked up to as a kid.

Who did you look up to as a kid?

Ty Acord: I really liked people like Mike Shinoda, just because of how I felt he transcended genre's of music and did everything - produced, rapped, played piano; and even when he was on Punk'd, he was the most calm and collected dude, the cop was like "What's your name?" and he responds "My name is Mike Shinoda, S-H-I...", like he's spelling his name and everything, where other celebrities have an attitude like "HELLO, I'm BRANDY!". Just from the way we conducted himself to his drive for music, that shaped how I try to act as someone in the music industry.

Wrapping up, anything else you'd like to add?

Case Snedcor: Thanks for having us.

Ty Acord: Thanks everyone for reading this interview, thanks for thinking we're cool!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22.
04:41 AM on 04/26/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
Someone in Issues listens to Neck Deep, now that's something I didn't expect to read haha.
05:33 AM on 04/26/13
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
Someone in Issues listens to Neck Deep, now that's something I didn't expect to read haha.
Exactly my thoughts haha. Their new EP is great though, such a step up in song writing and vocals.

Really like this band, even though I hated Woe, Is Me.
06:37 AM on 04/26/13
ThereWeWere
User Info.
Interesting they said that Bendeth isn't involved in this type of music. He was involved in the new BMTH and Asking Alexandria....
06:57 AM on 04/26/13
JordanKTM
Right Back At It Again
User Info.
"And you had Fronz from Attila in the video as well?

Case Snedcor: Yes"

09:13 AM on 04/26/13
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
Interesting they said that Bendeth isn't involved in this type of music. He was involved in the new BMTH and Asking Alexandria....
Keep in mind those are brand new albums that just came out a couple weeks ago. The only other "heavy" albums that he's known for are Underoath and As I Lay Dying albums.
09:14 AM on 04/26/13
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
"And you had Fronz from Attila in the video as well?

Case Snedcor: Yes"

Niiiiiiice!
09:15 AM on 04/26/13
Niko John
Music Lover
User Info.
"Yeah, I recently talked to Kelen from The Story So Far, and we talked about how music is for everyone. "Oh I hope so and so doesn't show up...", everyone should be able to buy a ticket and have a good time, regardless of who you are and how long you've been there.

Ty Acord: Yeah, I'm with you guys on that one, I hate all the cliques that exist....people getting mad, saying "Oh, you don't understand my scene...", well you know, the rest of the world doesn't understand ANY of our scenes, so we should find unity in that."

Well that kind of hits home as I am one of those people........damn, looks like it's time to change things around a bit.
09:48 AM on 04/26/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.

Probably for the best I'd say, his work is so squeaky clean which is great for some bands but tends to make things more radio rock. The production on the new BMTH was the only thing I did not like, enormous step down from their work with Nordstrom IMO. I mean electronics sounded great but intstrumentals were so compressed.
10:51 AM on 04/26/13
HeyItsAllyssa
Graphic Designer / AllyssaMarae.com
User Info.
Pretty good interview.
11:10 AM on 04/26/13
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
Hey thanks Allyssa, thanks for reading. I checked out your website, way cool.
12:37 PM on 04/26/13
HeyItsAllyssa
Graphic Designer / AllyssaMarae.com
User Info.
Hey thanks Allyssa, thanks for reading. I checked out your website, way cool.
No problem :) I liked your questions. They were different than the typical interview plus you gave background on The Acacia Stain debacle.

And wow thank you! I really appreciate that :)
12:51 PM on 04/26/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
I always enjoy reading your interviews, the questions are usually interesting, so I actually read all of it, rather than just skimming it like I do with a lot of interviews. Where's your Broco interview at?
12:55 PM on 04/26/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
Exactly my thoughts haha. Their new EP is great though, such a step up in song writing and vocals.

Really like this band, even though I hated Woe, Is Me.
Neck Deep are great. It's crazy that a member from a US metalcore band likes a British pop-punk band that's only been together for a year. They're going to be huge in no time.

I also quite enjoy Issues' music, but was never into Woe, Is Me.
12:57 PM on 04/26/13
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
I always enjoy reading your interviews, the questions are usually interesting, so I actually read all of it, rather than just skimming it like I do with a lot of interviews. Where's your Broco interview at?
Ah! I've been trying to get ahold of Bobby D and set-up a time when we're both not busy - the whole U.S./U.K time difference is a pretty large factor. It'll happen soon though, I just need to hoot n' holler at em' again.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests