AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Aloha - Light Works Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%
Inside AP.net

Aloha - Light Works

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (04/27/08)
Aloha - Light Works
Release Date: January 29th, 2008
Record Label: Polyvinyl Recording Co.

I’ve been looking forward to the day that I would be comfortable enough with Aloha’s Light Works to be able to describe it as spectacularly as it makes me feel. That day hasn’t come, so I said fuck it – I’d review yet another album beyond the level my delicate diction could even hope to encompass and digest, be chewed up and fed to all of you little baby birds. That’s right, mama is home and she’s got a mouthful. In this case, it’s a recommendation for one of the year’s already remarkable outputs. Polyvinyl’s delicious, organ and xylophone toting quartet have followed-up the remarkable and criminally untalked about Some Echoes with patience and elegance.

Light Works stands as a whole, and that’s what I appreciate Aloha for the most. They write albums, not singles that are designed to sit unassuming at the same table with a few half-assed snores. If even one song had been added or taken from this album, it wouldn’t have been the same. It’s not perfect in composition, but it is perfect in structure – and that makes a world of difference for those of you who appreciate albums from beginning to end. It’s a relatively quick listen, being seven songs short, but that’s the beauty of it. An album doesn’t need longevity to make its point. Take this as the poster-boy for EPs with conception and purpose. Its theme seems to be hope, despite being set among rather poignant instrumentation. Lyrics discuss faith and, again, hopefulness – so to have graceful arrangements that are comparatively toned-down is a fresh idea that keeps the very idea of Aloha unfaded.

Drummer Cale Parks isn’t able to flaunt his absolute mastery of the instrument here (unlike in the live setting), but that doesn’t stop the very rhythm of this album from being impeccable. The blurred sways of the guitar in the beautiful closer “Equinox”, the uplifting vocals juxtaposed to tense percussion in “Broken Light”, and the wayward sing-songiness of “The End” – it’s all so within the same thought-bubble, but each song is still so distinct from one another in a way. Tony Cavallario’s vocals are summed in one word – consoling. His voice is as if that one good guidance counselor you had in Middle School became a singer for an independent rock band, with enough choral chops to captivate crowds nationwide.

This album is one that listens. My experience with it these many months since the advance arrived in my small, steel mail-cubby has been one of continued admiration. It’s the album I could turn to if absolutely nothing else interested me. You go into Light Works with no expectations – you come out with an intricate idea of what Aloha’s musical existence means. It’s the most touching and considerate look at the band; a melodious presence that has yet to relent in its utter beauty.

Recommended If You Like:Owen, Headlights, The Appleseed Cast, Saturday Looks Good to Me

Take A Closer LookAloha @ Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14.
06:32 PM on 04/27/08
Lucid
User Info.
Had I not seen Aloha live, I wouldn't be able to understand their true mastery as individual artists; passion almost emanated from their fingers. Cale Parks certainly rocked my shit. Awesome review.
07:53 PM on 04/27/08
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
This review is outstanding Scott, I am going to have to check this album out.
07:36 AM on 04/28/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like what I'm hearing on their myspace...good review.
07:37 AM on 04/28/08
doyouhas?
We're On Our Way Home.
User Info.
ive never listened to their cds but i did see them live and they were very good. maybe i should check them out.
07:59 AM on 04/28/08
Osto
www.myspace.com/danostomakesnoise
User Info.
Even though I like their music, I had a talk with the guys from Aloha at a show once and they were total assholes. Completely pretentious and rude. Kind of gives me a bad taste when I listen to them now.
08:10 AM on 04/28/08
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Even though I like their music, I had a talk with the guys from Aloha at a show once and they were total assholes. Completely pretentious and rude. Kind of gives me a bad taste when I listen to them now.

Really? I met Cale at their merch table and he seemed like a pretty cool guy.
11:56 AM on 04/28/08
BORNONTHECUSP
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

lies! i know cale very well, and matthew & tony, and they are all so very nice.
12:19 PM on 04/28/08
BGP
Registered Badass
User Info.
I feel so bad that I still have yet to hear this.
02:22 PM on 04/28/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Very agreeable review. Not as good as the previous album but still, very soothing and well done music. Would love to see them again.

Nice review Scott.
09:01 PM on 04/28/08
Osto
www.myspace.com/danostomakesnoise
User Info.
It could have just been a bad night for them. I'm sure that theyre nice.
10:43 PM on 04/28/08
SoCoSquid4
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i found this album soon after it came out. i like it a lot, its in my rotation.
12:27 AM on 04/29/08
LittleM
User Info.
awesome work!
12:21 AM on 05/02/08
travelbyphone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Mi Amante has released this record on Picture Disc Vnyl. Looks great.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests