Album Review

Tripdash - I'm Not the Artist EP Album Cover

Tripdash - I'm Not the Artist EP

Reviewed by
Tripdash - I'm Not the Artist EP
Record Label: Pass to the Left Productions
Release Date: Deep in the heart of 2007
Who?

Comprised of vocalist Johnny Walker, guitarist Matthew Collins, bassist Steven Elder, and drummer Chad Welch, Tripdash are a melodic hardcore punk act that hails from Newcastle Upon Tyne, located in the North Eastern part of England. They've gained a reputation for their intense, energetic live shows and blistering punk sound.

How is it?

While it's often hard to base an opinion of a band by just an EP, Tripdash waste no time here, laying out six blistering, hooky hardcore punk anthems, each one sure to inspire pumping fists and mosh pits, and hell, maybe even a sing along or two. Two standout tracks here are the punchy "Redlight," (with a thunderous drum line, bright, melodic guitar riffs, and an impressive vocal delivery that recalls A Wilhelm Scream), and the decidedly hooky "The Strength of Meaning," which features a tight bass line and plenty of shouted backing vocals. Something else worthy of mention is the lyrics. Unapologetically political, Tripdash wear their political beliefs proudly on their sleeves, evidenced in lines such as "Good riddance to shit / Censorious corpses dictating us this / The ink of the 80's rubs off on our hands / As elitism plagues these troubled, fucked lands." While I'm Not the Artist is nothing absolutely astounding, it is a sign of good things to come, and it is sure to please fans of the melodic hardcore punk genre.

Track Listing01. I'm Not the Artist
02. Clicks
03. Redlight
04. The Strength of Meaning
05. Are We Still the Same?
06. Mary Whitehouse is Dead

Recommended if You LikeA Wilhelm Scream, Strike Anywhere, The Sainte Catherines, Propagandhi

myspace.com/tripdash
This review is a user submitted review from CellarGhosts. You can see all of CellarGhosts's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
11:13 AM on 05/02/08
TheOtherAndrew
Meh
User Info.
Good stuff. The songs on their MySpace sound alright.
12:46 PM on 05/02/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
thanks for reading, d00d!

Oh, and everyone, I should point out that their bassist actually isn't Steven Elder anymore, as I just realized via a blog on their myspace that he quit. dunno how I missed that.
12:51 PM on 05/02/08
AWilhelmPetter
Bulletproof Tiger
User Info.
This is awesome. Tripdash are fucking mint. Sweet to see their music is getting overseas.
01:09 PM on 05/02/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
thanks for reading man. I was definitely digging this EP, so I'm looking forward to more stuff from them.
12:05 AM on 05/04/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i thought i was being pretty clever when i put "deep in the heart of 2007." I am clearly an idiot.
05:39 AM on 05/05/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
Haha, I thought it was a pretty clever move.
09:00 AM on 05/17/08
AWilhelmPetter
Bulletproof Tiger
User Info.
Anyone who likes this, check out Hero of Our Time from Florida. They sound slightly simular to these lads.
06:05 PM on 06/04/08
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I'm not too into them, but I always respect your judgment with music, Charlie. I'll have to give them another go in the near future. If I had to pick out of the three files on their Myspace, I'd go with The Strength of Meaning.

But by the sound of it, I can bet they put on a live energy show.
10:07 AM on 06/05/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
I'm not too into them, but I always respect your judgment with music, Charlie. I'll have to give them another go in the near future. If I had to pick out of the three files on their Myspace, I'd go with The Strength of Meaning.

But by the sound of it, I can bet they put on a live energy show.
Thanks, It's good to know my judgment on music is respected haha.

Yeah, I can imagine their live shows are fun.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos