Username
Password
The Gaslight Anthem News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Gaslight Anthem
Inside AP.net

Show Review: The Gaslight Anthem with Matt Mays

Posted by: Ryan Gardner (04/29/13)
Read our show review of the April 26th Austin stop of The Gaslight Anthem's tour with Matt Mays. Be sure to check out photos from the show.
To me, The Gaslight Anthem just sounds like American rock music should. Listening to their records makes me wonder what it must have been like growing up in the 70s or 80s, and I canít help but feel like this is the type of music my dad and his friends grew up listening to. Gaslight represent the new face of rock and roll music, and each member delivers exactly this on stage. Seeing the band live made me realize exactly why we all their songs so much Ė simpler, older times brought to life today. As one of the defining rock bands of our generation, The Gaslight Anthem know exactly how to execute a rock concert all the way through the encore.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
07:36 AM on 04/29/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Show was so much fun. Is it me or did the bame suddenly become much better halfway through? It seemed like their energy wasnt all there until blue dahlia and then they got super energetic and blew me away.
07:37 AM on 04/29/13
absolution
User Info.
Fantastic band with fantastic albums and a live show to boot but I really wish reviews (whether of the album or concert variety) would stop harping on the nostalgia factor. The road's well worn. They are just a great rock band in the tradition of great rock bands.
07:40 AM on 04/29/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Wow... somehow I didn't realize that Matt Mays was touring with them. It's not that crazy, but I never really pictured the 2 together before.
07:43 AM on 04/29/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
It sounds like I didn't catch them on a good show because they were some of the most disappointing performers I had ever seen last year.
08:09 AM on 04/29/13
heron182
User Info.
kind of upset i waited 3 hrs after the show met all the dudes and then around 2 am Brian was the last one to come out and there was only like 10 ppl there he pulled a dick diva move on his fans had matt mays walk him out and pretend they were having a conversation and got brian on the bus kinda lame in my books i don't know why he couldn't take 10 mins to sign some stuff and take pics like the other members did. oh wel maybe next time

good show still
08:12 AM on 04/29/13
TheModernAge
User Info.
Seeing them tonight and I'm pretty damn excited. Should definitely make up for getting dragged to a Senses Fail show last night which I definitely wasn't in the mood for.
08:27 AM on 04/29/13
fran.182
Euphoric disconnection
User Info.
Band of our generation...
08:44 AM on 04/29/13
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
It sounds like I didn't catch them on a good show because they were some of the most disappointing performers I had ever seen last year.

If it was Riot Fest Dallas, that was an off performance for them.
08:46 AM on 04/29/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Yes it was, and I'm glad to hear that, hope I can catch em sometime again and see a better performance.
08:57 AM on 04/29/13
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
Yes it was, and I'm glad to hear that, hope I can catch em sometime again and see a better performance.

I've seen them twice in the past year (bamboozle, and last weekend in austin, three with Riot Fest) the crowd made the difference both times they sounded good. The NJ crowd made for a more intense show, but once the Austin crowd got warmed up and Brian launched into Blue Dhalia, it became a full fledged rock show.
10:07 AM on 04/29/13
Donnie Ruth
I like to talk about blink-182
User Info.
Handwritten was maybe 98% of what I listened to all summer up until like November when I saw them. They put on just an amazing show in Boston.

Definitely give them another chance!
10:40 AM on 04/29/13
SingleDoubt
Strangers on this road we are on...
User Info.
So excited to see them in Providence. Still wondering why the show got pushed back to September but it's whatever, I can wait.
03:16 PM on 04/29/13
Timmerton120
Timmy Sampana
User Info.
First time seeing Gaslight live. What a great show. Brian seemed to be way more happy than I thought he'd be. People went nutsssss during Great Expectations.
03:19 PM on 04/29/13
Timmerton120
Timmy Sampana
User Info.
Seeing them tonight and I'm pretty damn excited. Should definitely make up for getting dragged to a Senses Fail show last night which I definitely wasn't in the mood for.

I had told my friend to check out Gaslight, and he was not impressed. Said that the band was lacking energy. I assume they were too hungover from Austin. haha
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums