Password
Tour Dates News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Tour Dates
Inside AP.net

Sound and Fury 2013 Cancelled

Posted by: Alex DiVincenzo (04/29/13)
Sound and Fury 2013 has been cancelled.
Itís over. We are sorry to bring you this unfortunate news but the 2013 edition of the Sound and Fury festival is cancelled. We apologize to everyone from the bottom of our hearts for having to do this, but it was unavoidable. In order to quell speculation, you will hear the absolute truth from us. Due to unforeseen circumstances and the massive financial risk it takes to run a festival, we have to cancel this year. We are just two people, running a festival that brings in over 60 bands and 1,800 kids to Santa Barbara every year. The amount of logistics and headaches this encompasses one can only imagine, needless to say from March to July our lives donít feel our own.

This year, we put together what we thought was an amazing lineup with amazing sponsors that all spread the word of the festival far and wide. We as organizers have to weigh the proís and conís of doing a festival and not losing tens of thousands of dollars in the process.

Plain and simple, we couldnít take that risk this year.

To all of the bands, sponsors, friends, co-workers and attendees, we are very sorry.

Tickets will be fully refunded at the point of purchase (No Sleep Records) and should be completed by weeks end. If you bought a ticket, you will get your refund but be patient as we are sorting out the best way to get that to you.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
10:30 AM on 04/29/13
markyconnolly
User Info.
ha! this won't go over well
10:37 AM on 04/29/13
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I grew up in Santa Barbara and honestly had no idea this festival existed Now that I know, it sounds like it was pretty cool
10:38 AM on 04/29/13
InTheatersNow
Suck My Balls
User Info.
lol
10:49 AM on 04/29/13
ThisIsSuchAPity
Give me younger us
User Info.
11:04 AM on 04/29/13
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
Super bummed as it was what I was looking forward to the most this summer, but it's completely understandable. It's a lot to take on for just two guys.

Hopefully next year works out in their favor.
11:10 AM on 04/29/13
angelaprats
phooey
User Info.
As I have done events and work closely with promoters, I understand what they mean. It's always sad when a festival gets cancelled.
11:29 AM on 04/29/13
flask
Registered Member
User Info.
Doubt it. A guy rode his motorcycle into the pit on 2010 which started a small "riot" from the crowd. The fest was shut down but they had it the next couple years just with a slightly larger security presence. As it says in the announcement, I think this is strictly a money thing. The fest has gone down in popularity over the years.
11:29 AM on 04/29/13
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
hopefully they can come back stronger next year
11:44 AM on 04/29/13
ThisIsSuchAPity
Give me younger us
User Info.
Doubt it. A guy rode his motorcycle into the pit on 2010 which started a small "riot" from the crowd. The fest was shut down but they had it the next couple years just with a slightly larger security presence. As it says in the announcement, I think this is strictly a money thing. The fest has gone down in popularity over the years.
Gotcha. from the comments of that article though i just gathered that SB in general was pretty hostile toward events like festivals
12:01 PM on 04/29/13
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
Sound & Fury was awesome at the beginning.
01:38 PM on 04/29/13
iaminsane20
SUNY Cortland '15
User Info.
Can we see what the lineup would've been?
01:40 PM on 04/29/13
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
This is a huge bummer. I was looking forward to going this year. Hopefully they can find a cheaper way of doing it next year without losing too much quality.
02:36 PM on 04/29/13
dicktony
Plots//Latecomer//etc.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just a thought, and one I don't have much time to dive into, but...

Wouldn't this be an instance where literal crowd funding might make a little more sense to some people? If financial risk is really the only issue, I'm sure a festival with as much name recognition as Sound and Fury could have launched something a few months in advance. As far as perks, who knows? Reunion sets? Say in the lineup? I, for one, would probably pay the cost of an inflated four day pass to This is Hardcore in advance knowing how much fun the previous fests have been, especially if I knew that this extra cash (service fee? heh) would help guarantee the fest is run as well as its been over the previous years. I know there was a TiH book a year back that may or may not have gone to help fund shows, but I have no idea about the inner workings of any of that. I digress, crowd funded fests? Has someone already tried this?
04:06 PM on 04/29/13
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
remember the year with the guy and the motorcycle!?!?!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests