Displaying user's 13 posts.
10:56 AM on 04/30/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
08:04 PM on 04/30/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Finally listened to the full thing.

This is by FAR my least favorite thing Andrew has ever done. Very disappointing.
01:33 AM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
?? Seems most agree with me. It's pretty bland.
12:42 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Pretty sure most are loving this from what I (and others) have seen. It's fun. It's very well written pop music. I think it's awesome.
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3074161

Should join that thread.

I'd disagree, with it being fun, awesome, or all that well written. The lyrics are good but the "instrumentation" itself isn't very well written at all. It's Owl City-esque.
01:12 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I read through the comments. Honestly 4-5 people tops disliking it in a specified forum does not really equal overwhelming hate. I understand the criticisms though. I find Learn to Dance and After The Fire very repetitive. I find After The Fire still a pretty good track. I very much like the first two tracks. I think in the end its a good EP but it leaves more to be desired. I think its gonna receive mostly praise overall. I would not really call this polarizing despite this style of music being different than his past endeavors.
Never said it was overwhelmingly hated. Said that it was my least favorite thing he's done, disappointed, and pretty bland. THOSE sentiments seem to be expressed by even you.
01:29 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah the couple people hating it on this website doesn't account for everyone. There's an overwhelming amount of positive comments on twitter, instagram, iTunes reviews, etc. Critics are also loving it from what I've seen. I can't stand Owl City either, so I don't know how you could compare the two, other than the synth intro to "Catching Cold." I understand how one who holds such high expectations from his old material could find this disappointing, but think of this as a separate project, not a continuation. I think this could be a big break for him mainstream wise if this gets the promotion it deserves. "After the Fire" is a Top 40 hit.
You're missing my entire point, I never said "hate" ... I picked my words pretty carefully. And twitter/instagram/iTunes is all just confirmation bias, the people that would post on those things are the die-hard fans. I dunno what respectable "critics" are even covering it. Tumblr blogs don't count as critics. I don't mind Owl City, he can write some pretty solid pop-songs ... and it's pretty easy to compare them in the current incarnation (this album vs Owl City's last).

There is absolutely zero potential in "After the Fire" being a Top 40 hit. I doubt it ever gets played on the radio at all.
02:17 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I never even claimed it would ever even surface on radio. I said, if promoted correctly and if it got to mainstream radio platforms, it could be extremely successful.
You claimed it was a top 40 hit. It's not, it won't be. And that ambiguous word "promotion" gets tossed around too much without meaning anything.
02:18 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Lol please tell me this is a joke. I agree with this guy. The chorus is literally the same vibe as "Call Me Maybe" and any of those other stupid pop songs, except with better lyrics. Perfect summertime jam.
Yeah, but that's not what it takes to be a Top 40 song.
02:23 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
You're right. But it won't get to radio is cause it's not even a single (as of now). It probably will never make a blip on the mainstream radar but if he was still with a huge label and with enough promotion it could probably break that barrier. That said I can't wait to hear it live cause I have a feeling it'll be one of those huge-energy highlights during Andrew's set.
I don't think any of you have any idea how labels, the radio, or things like this work.
02:38 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I don't work in anything close to the radio industry and I'm not pretending to. I even agreed with you that it wouldn't get to radio. What I'm saying is I don't understand the argument that it's not a radio-friendly song with the potential to be huge if it had the ability to be marketed, which is what OP was getting at. But I don't think anyone is actually expecting Andrew to break top 40, especially without a label.
He's been promoted heavily by labels in the past ... what the radio is looking for in a top 40 song right now -- is just simply not this.

This just isn't what's going to catch on with that market and the DJs aren't gonna spin it.
04:32 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah, then what does it take? I'm not talking business logistics. To be a Top 40 hit, the song has to have appeal, it has to be like able. What I'm saying is it could fit right in with other songs on the radio right now. I have already shown this to younger relatives and friends and such who listen to Top 40 (from middle school-highschool) and they're already hooked. The same people who've never even given any other music I've played from the scene a chance.
These small anecdotal stories don't really prove anything at all.

And what it takes is more than I have time to talk about in a forum thread.

And, looking at the current radio landscape, I don't see where this fits ... honestly, the song's just not a strong enough mainstream pop song to make it on the radio.
02:50 PM on 05/02/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Each to his own I suppose. But: did anyone actually think "Some Nights" or "Carry On" would become a huge mainstream hit? Where was there room for that on the radio landscape at the time?
Yes.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News