Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 8 posts
12:05 PM on 04/30/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I can't download Learn To Dance from the link they sent out to people who pre-ordered the vinyl
12:18 PM on 04/30/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
No one can. I emailed the address that was in the email we got sent, you might as well do the same.
yea I did the same earlier. Hoping they respond to it soon. I rarely take this approach but I may just find a torrent or something of the album. I already paid for it and just want to have it on my ipod.
09:12 PM on 04/30/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I really really life Synesthasia and Catching Cold. After The Fire is also good. Learn To Dance is meh. I like the direction of this music but I do have some worries about his solo project.

- SOCO was an awesome piano-rock band that had a whole band created energy
- Jack's Mannequin was very much a narrative and Andrew's life was very much a drive of inspiration

That being said I don't hear where in these songs an identity is being created. I do wish it was longer. I like it. I actually loved People & Things despite all the backlash it got but I do find the first two songs on this EP as good if not better than anything from that album. The final two tracks I can't say that. I need to hear more to really make a judgement to how I will enjoy this solo project in comparisons to his past works.

I do very much enjoy the synth driven songs he is making now. Overall I would rate the EP a 7/10 as very enjoyable with room for improvement and a bit too short.
07:13 AM on 05/01/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
?? Seems most agree with me. It's pretty bland.
I was getting the impression most people enjoyed it. Found some faults and may of not liked Learn To Dance but overall are ready for more. Just what I can gather from reading comments for multiple sites.

Though while not disappointed at this release I would agree its his weakest release but thats mainly cause it feels like it should've been longer. An ep with 3/4 songs being pretty good to awesome is great but the 1 meh song stands out more and it seems most people wanna hear a full length.
02:10 PM on 05/01/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3074161

Should join that thread.

I'd disagree, with it being fun, awesome, or all that well written. The lyrics are good but the "instrumentation" itself isn't very well written at all. It's Owl City-esque.
I read through the comments. Honestly 4-5 people tops disliking it in a specified forum does not really equal overwhelming disappointment. I understand the criticisms though. I find Learn to Dance and After The Fire very repetitive. I find After The Fire still a pretty good track. I very much like the first two tracks. I think in the end its a good EP but it leaves more to be desired. I think its gonna receive mostly praise overall. I would not really call this polarizing despite this style of music being different than his past endeavors.
02:35 PM on 05/01/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Never said it was overwhelmingly hated. Said that it was my least favorite thing he's done, disappointed, and pretty bland. THOSE sentiments seem to be expressed by even you.
I was not disappointed I am just able to criticize some areas. Mostly it being too short. I actually rephrased my statement before you quoted to "disappointment" instead of "hate" but my point stands. Honestly if this was a full album I probably would be in love. I actually find the first two tracks really really good. The last track After The Fire despite being repetitive (like most pop music) is still very fun. This EP actually has me excited for his solo work so I am far from disappointed but rather rational about the whole thing. Its a 7/10 as far as an EP goes for me but if he did a whole album in this vein I could easily see that being a 8.5 or 9/10 for me.

I have been listening to the EP since the download came in. I can't stand Owl City but its the vocals that kill it for me not the instrumentals or the synths. I honestly think this is a great year for pop music so far. I am glad Andrew uses his natural range (one case of auto-tune but its used way more conservatively than fun. on their last effort) and still incorporates the piano despite the driving synth.

I will never expect any 4 song EP to ever be amazing or someones best release. It would be unfair for me to hold this to the standards of some of his previous full lengths. But as far as EPs go with 3/4 very enjoyable songs I very much excited to hear more. I think a lot of people are enjoying this.
02:37 PM on 05/01/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Also the cover of Sister Golden Hair just got sent out to people who pre-ordered. That actually sounds more like what I would've expected if he had gone the Wrecking Ball Heart route or did a folk-piano project.
03:01 PM on 05/01/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I agree that it's unfair to compare a 4-song EP to a 10+ track album. And the Sister Golden Hair is proof that he hasn't abandoned stripped-down roots. I don't get why people assume Andrew is permanently stuck in a direction when he releases something. P&T comes out, people are outraged that he's too Americana. TPU comes out, people are outraged over the tiny use of autotune. He's obviously an artist that enjoys dipping his feet into whatever he can so if you don't like this release, that's fine - wait til his next one I guess?

As for reviews and reception, I don't think it's fair to assume everyone on instagram and twitter would be kissing his ass over it. If people don't like something, they'll say so, and these posts are proof of that. I get why people don't like it, this kind of music is simply not everyone's preference, but I do think that majority of reception is positive. Andrew has always created pop music, so his fans are the type of people to eat this up.
Its not like he did not warn people it was gonna be pop music with the title lol

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos