AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Jacks Mannequin News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 48.
01:33 AM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
?? Seems most agree with me. It's pretty bland.
06:13 AM on 05/01/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I was getting the impression most people enjoyed it. Found some faults and may of not liked Learn To Dance but overall are ready for more. Just what I can gather from reading comments for multiple sites.

Though while not disappointed at this release I would agree its his weakest release but thats mainly cause it feels like it should've been longer. An ep with 3/4 songs being pretty good to awesome is great but the 1 meh song stands out more and it seems most people wanna hear a full length.
07:15 AM on 05/01/13
CRDPats12
colinrdobie.tumblr.com
User Info.
Finally listened to the full thing.

This is by FAR my least favorite thing Andrew has ever done. Very disappointing.
Completely agree. Bought it to support him, but I would never give it a second listen if it was by anyone else. Where are the real drums? Such inorganic instrumentation.
07:35 AM on 05/01/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Beautiful words. Might be a lesser work from Andrew, but he's still absolutely one of my five favorite artists, and I can't wait to see where he goes next.
08:00 AM on 05/01/13
Vanilla Bear
celebrate the irony
User Info.
Finally listened to the full thing.

This is by FAR my least favorite thing Andrew has ever done. Very disappointing.
I don't hate it as I am too big of a fan boy, but I will say I was disappointed. Too me he's getting over-poppy...if that's a word. Anytime an artist goes away from the instruments it feels like it was mostly produced on the computer.
08:18 AM on 05/01/13
thirtyfourdays
Brandon
User Info.
I really enjoy Synesthesia and Learn to Dance but the rest kind of seems uninspired. Needs more energy or something. I don't know how to word what its missing.
08:58 AM on 05/01/13
conair
Connor
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
After The Fire will likely end up as a top-15 Andrew song for me and overall I like this a lot. It does seem a bit of a knock-off on People & Things (which I love), however.
09:47 AM on 05/01/13
jacoco
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was getting the impression most people enjoyed it. Found some faults and may of not liked Learn To Dance but overall are ready for more. Just what I can gather from reading comments for multiple sites.

Though while not disappointed at this release I would agree its his weakest release but thats mainly cause it feels like it should've been longer. An ep with 3/4 songs being pretty good to awesome is great but the 1 meh song stands out more and it seems most people wanna hear a full length.
You're not wrong that most people are enjoying it. I have only seen positive reception for it everywhere but here...
12:15 PM on 05/01/13
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
User Info.
Pretty sure most are loving this from what I (and others) have seen. It's fun. It's very well written pop music. I think it's awesome.
12:42 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Pretty sure most are loving this from what I (and others) have seen. It's fun. It's very well written pop music. I think it's awesome.
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3074161

Should join that thread.

I'd disagree, with it being fun, awesome, or all that well written. The lyrics are good but the "instrumentation" itself isn't very well written at all. It's Owl City-esque.
01:07 PM on 05/01/13
jacoco
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agreed.. and as someone who can't stomach anything Owl City does I don't draw a similarity to this whatsoever. I'm not preaching that it's anything but fun harmless pop music but it serves it's purpose and I don't think Andrew was aiming for anything but "pop music with integrity" with this release.
01:10 PM on 05/01/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.

Should join that thread.

I'd disagree, with it being fun, awesome, or all that well written. The lyrics are good but the "instrumentation" itself isn't very well written at all. It's Owl City-esque.
I read through the comments. Honestly 4-5 people tops disliking it in a specified forum does not really equal overwhelming disappointment. I understand the criticisms though. I find Learn to Dance and After The Fire very repetitive. I find After The Fire still a pretty good track. I very much like the first two tracks. I think in the end its a good EP but it leaves more to be desired. I think its gonna receive mostly praise overall. I would not really call this polarizing despite this style of music being different than his past endeavors.
01:12 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I read through the comments. Honestly 4-5 people tops disliking it in a specified forum does not really equal overwhelming hate. I understand the criticisms though. I find Learn to Dance and After The Fire very repetitive. I find After The Fire still a pretty good track. I very much like the first two tracks. I think in the end its a good EP but it leaves more to be desired. I think its gonna receive mostly praise overall. I would not really call this polarizing despite this style of music being different than his past endeavors.
Never said it was overwhelmingly hated. Said that it was my least favorite thing he's done, disappointed, and pretty bland. THOSE sentiments seem to be expressed by even you.
01:21 PM on 05/01/13
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
User Info.

Should join that thread.

Yeah the couple people hating it on this website doesn't account for everyone. There's an overwhelming amount of positive comments on twitter, instagram, iTunes reviews, etc. Critics are also loving it from what I've seen. I can't stand Owl City either, so I don't know how you could compare the two, other than the synth intro to "Catching Cold." I understand how one who holds such high expectations from his old material could find this disappointing, but think of this as a separate project, not a continuation. I think this could be a big break for him mainstream wise if this gets the promotion it deserves. "After the Fire" is a Top 40 hit.
01:29 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah the couple people hating it on this website doesn't account for everyone. There's an overwhelming amount of positive comments on twitter, instagram, iTunes reviews, etc. Critics are also loving it from what I've seen. I can't stand Owl City either, so I don't know how you could compare the two, other than the synth intro to "Catching Cold." I understand how one who holds such high expectations from his old material could find this disappointing, but think of this as a separate project, not a continuation. I think this could be a big break for him mainstream wise if this gets the promotion it deserves. "After the Fire" is a Top 40 hit.
You're missing my entire point, I never said "hate" ... I picked my words pretty carefully. And twitter/instagram/iTunes is all just confirmation bias, the people that would post on those things are the die-hard fans. I dunno what respectable "critics" are even covering it. Tumblr blogs don't count as critics. I don't mind Owl City, he can write some pretty solid pop-songs ... and it's pretty easy to compare them in the current incarnation (this album vs Owl City's last).

There is absolutely zero potential in "After the Fire" being a Top 40 hit. I doubt it ever gets played on the radio at all.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums