Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 47
02:35 PM on 05/01/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Never said it was overwhelmingly hated. Said that it was my least favorite thing he's done, disappointed, and pretty bland. THOSE sentiments seem to be expressed by even you.
I was not disappointed I am just able to criticize some areas. Mostly it being too short. I actually rephrased my statement before you quoted to "disappointment" instead of "hate" but my point stands. Honestly if this was a full album I probably would be in love. I actually find the first two tracks really really good. The last track After The Fire despite being repetitive (like most pop music) is still very fun. This EP actually has me excited for his solo work so I am far from disappointed but rather rational about the whole thing. Its a 7/10 as far as an EP goes for me but if he did a whole album in this vein I could easily see that being a 8.5 or 9/10 for me.

I have been listening to the EP since the download came in. I can't stand Owl City but its the vocals that kill it for me not the instrumentals or the synths. I honestly think this is a great year for pop music so far. I am glad Andrew uses his natural range (one case of auto-tune but its used way more conservatively than fun. on their last effort) and still incorporates the piano despite the driving synth.

I will never expect any 4 song EP to ever be amazing or someones best release. It would be unfair for me to hold this to the standards of some of his previous full lengths. But as far as EPs go with 3/4 very enjoyable songs I very much excited to hear more. I think a lot of people are enjoying this.
02:37 PM on 05/01/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Also the cover of Sister Golden Hair just got sent out to people who pre-ordered. That actually sounds more like what I would've expected if he had gone the Wrecking Ball Heart route or did a folk-piano project.
02:48 PM on 05/01/13
jacoco
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree that it's unfair to compare a 4-song EP to a 10+ track album. And the Sister Golden Hair is proof that he hasn't abandoned stripped-down roots. I don't get why people assume Andrew is permanently stuck in a direction when he releases something. P&T comes out, people are outraged that he's too Americana. TPU comes out, people are outraged over the tiny use of autotune. He's obviously an artist that enjoys dipping his feet into whatever he can so if you don't like this release, that's fine - wait til his next one I guess?

As for reviews and reception, I don't think it's fair to assume everyone on instagram and twitter would be kissing his ass over it. If people don't like something, they'll say so, and these posts are proof of that. I get why people don't like it, this kind of music is simply not everyone's preference, but I do think that majority of reception is positive. Andrew has always created pop music, so his fans are the type of people to eat this up.
03:01 PM on 05/01/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I agree that it's unfair to compare a 4-song EP to a 10+ track album. And the Sister Golden Hair is proof that he hasn't abandoned stripped-down roots. I don't get why people assume Andrew is permanently stuck in a direction when he releases something. P&T comes out, people are outraged that he's too Americana. TPU comes out, people are outraged over the tiny use of autotune. He's obviously an artist that enjoys dipping his feet into whatever he can so if you don't like this release, that's fine - wait til his next one I guess?

As for reviews and reception, I don't think it's fair to assume everyone on instagram and twitter would be kissing his ass over it. If people don't like something, they'll say so, and these posts are proof of that. I get why people don't like it, this kind of music is simply not everyone's preference, but I do think that majority of reception is positive. Andrew has always created pop music, so his fans are the type of people to eat this up.
Its not like he did not warn people it was gonna be pop music with the title lol
03:05 PM on 05/01/13
SpacemanLacey
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There is absolutely zero potential in "After the Fire" being a Top 40 hit. I doubt it ever gets played on the radio at all.

Lol please tell me this is a joke. I agree with this guy. The chorus is literally the same vibe as "Call Me Maybe" and any of those other stupid pop songs, except with better lyrics. Perfect summertime jam.
03:08 PM on 05/01/13
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
User Info.
There is absolutely zero potential in "After the Fire" being a Top 40 hit. I doubt it ever gets played on the radio at all.

I never even claimed it would ever even surface on radio. I said, if promoted correctly and if it got to mainstream radio platforms, it could be extremely successful.
03:17 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I never even claimed it would ever even surface on radio. I said, if promoted correctly and if it got to mainstream radio platforms, it could be extremely successful.
You claimed it was a top 40 hit. It's not, it won't be. And that ambiguous word "promotion" gets tossed around too much without meaning anything.
03:18 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Lol please tell me this is a joke. I agree with this guy. The chorus is literally the same vibe as "Call Me Maybe" and any of those other stupid pop songs, except with better lyrics. Perfect summertime jam.
Yeah, but that's not what it takes to be a Top 40 song.
03:19 PM on 05/01/13
jacoco
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You're right. But it won't get to radio is cause it's not even a single (as of now). It probably will never make a blip on the mainstream radar but if he was still with a huge label and with enough promotion it could probably break that barrier. That said I can't wait to hear it live cause I have a feeling it'll be one of those huge-energy highlights during Andrew's set.
03:23 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
You're right. But it won't get to radio is cause it's not even a single (as of now). It probably will never make a blip on the mainstream radar but if he was still with a huge label and with enough promotion it could probably break that barrier. That said I can't wait to hear it live cause I have a feeling it'll be one of those huge-energy highlights during Andrew's set.
I don't think any of you have any idea how labels, the radio, or things like this work.
03:29 PM on 05/01/13
jacoco
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't think any of you have any idea how labels, the radio, or things like this work.
I don't work in anything close to the radio industry and I'm not pretending to. I even agreed with you that it wouldn't get to radio. What I'm saying is I don't understand the argument that it's not a radio-friendly song with the potential to be huge if it had the ability to be marketed, which is what OP was getting at. But I don't think anyone is actually expecting Andrew to break top 40, especially without a label.
03:38 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I don't work in anything close to the radio industry and I'm not pretending to. I even agreed with you that it wouldn't get to radio. What I'm saying is I don't understand the argument that it's not a radio-friendly song with the potential to be huge if it had the ability to be marketed, which is what OP was getting at. But I don't think anyone is actually expecting Andrew to break top 40, especially without a label.
He's been promoted heavily by labels in the past ... what the radio is looking for in a top 40 song right now -- is just simply not this.

This just isn't what's going to catch on with that market and the DJs aren't gonna spin it.
05:15 PM on 05/01/13
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
User Info.
Yeah, but that's not what it takes to be a Top 40 song.

Yeah, then what does it take? I'm not talking business logistics. To be a Top 40 hit, the song has to have appeal, it has to be like able. What I'm saying is it could fit right in with other songs on the radio right now. I have already shown this to younger relatives and friends and such who listen to Top 40 (from middle school-highschool) and they're already hooked. The same people who've never even given any other music I've played from the scene a chance.
05:32 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah, then what does it take? I'm not talking business logistics. To be a Top 40 hit, the song has to have appeal, it has to be like able. What I'm saying is it could fit right in with other songs on the radio right now. I have already shown this to younger relatives and friends and such who listen to Top 40 (from middle school-highschool) and they're already hooked. The same people who've never even given any other music I've played from the scene a chance.
These small anecdotal stories don't really prove anything at all.

And what it takes is more than I have time to talk about in a forum thread.

And, looking at the current radio landscape, I don't see where this fits ... honestly, the song's just not a strong enough mainstream pop song to make it on the radio.
03:24 PM on 05/02/13
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
User Info.
These small anecdotal stories don't really prove anything at all.

And what it takes is more than I have time to talk about in a forum thread.

And, looking at the current radio landscape, I don't see where this fits ... honestly, the song's just not a strong enough mainstream pop song to make it on the radio.
Each to his own I suppose. But: did anyone actually think "Some Nights" or "Carry On" would become a huge mainstream hit? Where was there room for that on the radio landscape at the time?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos