Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts.
08:33 AM on 05/01/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
"Maybe Im biased, since Id call August & Everything After the single greatest album of the nineties..." No you're not, I believe that as well. I'm not a fan of live albums, even if it is Counting Crows. Just wish they would release something new again. A poet like Duritz has to have written something new since 2008...

Glad I'm not alone.

I like live albums okay, even if it is just a way to make fans buy the same songs again. But even if you don't pick this up, make sure to grab the Bob Dylan cover and the version of "Round Here."

Wish they had included a version of "Like Teenage Gravity" but the Bob Dylan cover IS amazing

I would have loved a version of "Like Teenage Gravity" as well. Probably my favorite thing they did on Underwater Sunshine.
08:50 PM on 05/01/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Is it bad that I get excited every time they put out a new version of "Round Here"?

No. That song just gets better and better, and every alteration offers a fantastic new insight into its power. Few songs are like that.

Hey now! I didn't say that liking live albums was a bad thing, just something I can't get in to I will give the Dylan cover a listen. Can't go wrong with that combo!

Let me know what you think.

Hard Candy is probably one of my least favorites by them. Its not bad and I like all the songs but I just find their first 3 albums a lot more solid.

You really can't go wrong with the first four. For me, their discography ranks out like this:

August>Hard Candy>Satellites>Desert Life>Underwater Sunshine>Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings
09:42 AM on 05/03/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.

Thanks!

I completely echo your discography ranking. I think you nailed it. Solid review. Had no idea you got into them after Films About Ghosts. You already know my ten cents on this, but I think this is super weak. How can't he even muster up an EP of new material? It's almost mind boggling really.

Yeah, I didn't really become a fan until Films About Ghosts, but I also wasn't really a huge fan of anything until then, haha. 2003/2004 was about the time I started switching from individual songs on burned CDs to buying full-length albums. But my family had copies of both August and Satellites when I was a kid, so I remember listening to those as well. Films About Ghosts was the first time I heard anything off Desert Life or Hard Candy that wasn't a single though, so that was pretty big. And then I bought Hard Candy and it was my favorite album for about a year.

But definitely. I heard from someone he's been writing, but I don't know if there's any validity to those claims. And it's such a shame. I mean, he doesn't have to write an album full of tortured break-up songs if that's not where he is in his life. It sounded like, in interviews for Underwater Sunshine, his songwriting experience actually put him into a depressed state, which is a problem. But hell, if he wants to just write an album of happy pop songs or road-warrior folk music, I'd listen to it in a second. Not everything has to be August. And the emotional intensity of Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings actually put me off of it a bit. Best part of that album was when the light finally broke through on the last track.

Also it should be noted, this album was not released in America. Or at the very least the band is only acknowledging its release in the UK.

Yeah, I wasn't really sure what was going on with that. Thanks for clarifying.
08:44 PM on 05/05/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Saw recently Andrew McMahon called August the greatest record to listen to anyplace, anytime. Guy's not wrong.
Link?
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests