Password

Album Review
Everett - Destination EP Album Cover

Everett - Destination EP

Reviewed by
Everett - Destination EP
Record Label: Wooden Oxen / Orchard
Release Date: January 1, 2007
Everett are a two-man post-rock project, most famous for having Dallas Taylor (Maylene & the Sons of Disaster, ex-Underoath) in the midst of the creative process. When taking a bit of time out from his full-time band, Taylor put together a few tunes with his close friend, Patrick Copeland, and has magnificently expanded them to create the wonderful 4-track Destination EP, setting alight a genre more than a few have written off. The project is named after the piano all the original melodies were written on as well as Taylor's dad.

The Destination EP starts off with "The Crown," a song which sounds exactly like the title suggests. It is majestic, and strident with a dominant sound, but accompanied with relatively slow dynamics, giving the song a lofty gracefulness. "Lay Down Your Arms" is probably the most classically-influenced track on the Destination EP, with emphasis placed much more on the orchestral aspects of this song. Again, the music effectively relates to the song title, and this effort actually sounds like a command being given. "LaGuardia" sees Everett giving a nod to the more modern styles of post-rock, when they use a much more computer-generated electronic sound in their music. This demonstrates their fantastic ability to bring variety to their music, when so many post-rock bands and artists do not. "The Anchor" successfully rounds off Destination EP, regaining some of the powerful majestic tones displayed in "The Crown." It is a strong, rousing, closer; and leaves the listener with a powerful image of a curtain falling upon the stage, and the audience delivering a standing ovation.

In conclusion, it is obvious that Taylor and Copeland have an amazing talent to produce challenging, epic music, and to stretch themselves in order to keep on improving. In its short time span, Destination EP has a vast variety of style, all contained within the post-rock genre and masterfully portrayed for maximum brilliance.

Recommended if You LikeExplosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, falling asleep to music

myspace.com/theeverett
This review is a user submitted review from alice+interiors. You can see all of alice+interiors's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
01:00 PM on 05/09/08
loohsee
User Info.
christ, you sound so professional.
nicely done. (:
03:27 PM on 05/09/08
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
This is a very good EP. I hope they continue with this project.
11:52 PM on 05/09/08
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
christ, you sound so professional.
nicely done. (:

haha, thank-you Lucy (:

This is a very good EP. I hope they continue with this project.

agreed, any thoughts on the actual review though?
11:23 PM on 05/10/08
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.

I wish you would have mentioned the build-up in "Lay Down Your Arms" a bit more explicitly. Other than that, very well done.
11:49 AM on 06/16/08
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Very good review. Very good.
09:48 PM on 08/27/08
Coverbydesign
User Info.
I have been playing this ep since last month..I cant get enough of it..its become my official go to sleep ep.
11:00 PM on 09/09/08
dyeasbdie
paaat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so talented

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles