03:24 PM on 05/03/13
anamericangod
User Info.
Nick is awesome. Good read.
03:43 PM on 05/03/13
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
I love the creative vinyl that people are coming up with now. I even bought a $10.00 turntable from the thrift store just because one day I might even play some. For me it's about supporting the bands and getting something cool to keep in the process. It's another form of art work these days.
03:49 PM on 05/03/13
The Grey Man
Team Larz
User Info.
When I first quickly looked at this post I thought it said Nicki Minaj and was extremely confused. Glad I took the time to slow down and actually read.
03:53 PM on 05/03/13
The_Effort
User Info.
I agree with a lot of his points.

I collect vinyl simply because I love it. I love flipping through them in a record shop. I love opening them and all the cool color variants they come in. I love putting it on and dropping the needle on a new record for the first time. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but something about the entire process is just fun and almost addicting.
04:03 PM on 05/03/13
bowbzzz
User Info.
I've been saying this for years. People are so stupid. Smh
04:10 PM on 05/03/13
dannylololol
Stay Hungry. Stay Free.
User Info.
Sorry, but bored and posting and I love records.

I also love the act of going to record stores. I literally love it. I prefer to go alone as well as I get in my own head space. I just like to stone out I mean zone out and stare and dig and wonder. I'll buy old records on their jackets alone just because I need to know how it sounds. I feel lucky to live in two cities that have a pretty good, thriving music community. A lot of good indie shops - about ten - that get tons of local support. Although RSD is pretty commercial now, it still makes me smile seeing people get out that day. Even if they never usually go to their local spots. The awareness alone is great.
Hey man, what would you say are the best shops around here? Just moved here. Few months ago so I think it's time to start checking stuff out. I went to Hymie's the other day, and while it was an awesome place with a huge selection, Id like to find someplace with some more modern music.
04:12 PM on 05/03/13
Cheesus
nope
User Info.
Lol no ones "ruining" anything. You allowing yourself to be so emotionally distraught over what hipsters think is the only real tragedy here.
04:18 PM on 05/03/13
Cheesus
nope
User Info.
And that "warmth" that people so often talk about does in fact exist. It however, only exists when the album was recorded on tape. A majority of vinyl being pressed now is recorded digitally then pressed to vinyl; which indeed, does not enrich sound quality.
04:30 PM on 05/03/13
asthenia*
Never to see any other way...
User Info.
reading this has me convinced CDs will rise again.
04:33 PM on 05/03/13
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
I started buying records last December; it's something I prefer over cds now. Before I got any records I thought there was an advantage in sound between vinyl and cd, but months later I realize that's wrong. Cd clearly has an advantage. However, I love the feeling I get holding my favorite albums in my hand; I truly appreciate the artwork with vinyl because it's made to seem more important. It's also just really cool to hold something that not many other people can say they have. I'll never sell my records on eBay, that's just foolish and disrespectful to sell something for such a huge price imo.

Vinyl is cool.
04:46 PM on 05/03/13
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
Well said. I think vinyl is cool but I don't own any. Except gloves for cleaning.
04:55 PM on 05/03/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Sorry, but bored and posting and I love records.

I also love the act of going to record stores. I literally love it. I prefer to go alone as well as I get in my own head space. I just like to stone out I mean zone out and stare and dig and wonder. I'll buy old records on their jackets alone just because I need to know how it sounds. I feel lucky to live in two cities that have a pretty good, thriving music community. A lot of good indie shops - about ten - that get tons of local support. Although RSD is pretty commercial now, it still makes me smile seeing people get out that day. Even if they never usually go to their local spots. The awareness alone is great.
sometimes I hang out at Amoeba for hours - it's the best.
05:05 PM on 05/03/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow. Ignorance.

First of all, a bit of backstory. I am not an audiophile, I sold all my records last year and I stopped buying in 2008 - but there's DEFINITELY a difference in sound.

Want to know what it is? It's literally a separate master. There's limitations in one format, so us engineers have to work around 'em and guess what? A lot of us like "warmer" sounding records... So we colorize them.

...But you know what? It's not analogue - it's purely digital. Right now, the most popular tool is the new version Crane Song Phoenix, pictured here:

Me and my friends also only do stem-mastering for vinyl these days. We get 3-6 tracks so we can colorize them differently. It's a very quick process and makes a big difference. Very cheap for the client as well.

It's literally a different master - so it will sound different. Most clients want it to sound warmer. I know a bunch of people who got tons of jobs in the late 90's because they simply cranked the master to tape before they pressed it. It's not a new thing and it's all about knowing what people expect from the format.

...Spazz is my 3rd favorite band of all-time though. Why is this guy not guest-blogging for that stuffyouhate site instead?
05:12 PM on 05/03/13
flask
Registered Member
User Info.
I think if people are buying vinyl and starting collections, they need to make it an investment, and that means buying better equipment. Lord knows how many times I've seen kids on tumblr posting pictures of their Basement records playing on a cheap Crosley turntables with captions like "omg vinyl just sounds better." No it doesn't. Not when you're playing it on a plastic toy like that.
06:14 PM on 05/03/13
Rodeo
User Info.
Seriously, tell me what is wrong with the thrill and sport of tracking down a rare vinyl you want. So much fun is in the satisfaction of the search. #nofucksgiven
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests