Password
AP.net Related News - Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 96.
06:36 PM on 05/03/13
muttley
Drop all your things and go outside
User Info.
Vinyls are fun to collect.

and it's fun to say "vinyls" and watch people gallop in on their high steeds to tell you all about how wrong you are
06:44 PM on 05/03/13
Rodeo
User Info.
Wow. Ignorance.

First of all, a bit of backstory. I am not an audiophile, I sold all my records last year and I stopped buying in 2008 - but there's DEFINITELY a difference in sound.

Want to know what it is? It's literally a separate master. There's limitations in one format, so us engineers have to work around 'em and guess what? A lot of us like "warmer" sounding records... So we colorize them.

...But you know what? It's not analogue - it's purely digital. Right now, the most popular tool is the new version Crane Song Phoenix, pictured here:

Me and my friends also only do stem-mastering for vinyl these days. We get 3-6 tracks so we can colorize them differently. It's a very quick process and makes a big difference. Very cheap for the client as well.

It's literally a different master - so it will sound different. Most clients want it to sound warmer. I know a bunch of people who got tons of jobs in the late 90's because they simply cranked the master to tape before they pressed it. It's not a new thing and it's all about knowing what people expect from the format.

...Spazz is my 3rd favorite band of all-time though. Why is this guy not guest-blogging for that stuffyouhate site instead?

Extremely valuable info contained in this post right here.
06:47 PM on 05/03/13
jake_rm
Unregistered User
User Info.
Vinyls are fun to collect.

and it's fun to say "vinyls" and watch people gallop in on their high steeds to tell you all about how wrong you are
High steeds or not, it's as grammatically incorrect as sheeps.
06:49 PM on 05/03/13
Rodeo
User Info.
High steeds or not, it's as grammatically incorrect as sheeps.
What about "beer" and "beers."

That one's a thinker...
06:57 PM on 05/03/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
I've been saying this for years. People are so stupid. Smh
damn straight!
the vinyl sweaters are so sad and up their own arse.
he put so eloquently what Ive been saying forever
07:38 PM on 05/03/13
Whatareyoudylan
User Info.
I think if people are buying vinyl and starting collections, they need to make it an investment, and that means buying better equipment. Lord knows how many times I've seen kids on tumblr posting pictures of their Basement records playing on a cheap Crosley turntables with captions like "omg vinyl just sounds better." No it doesn't. Not when you're playing it on a plastic toy like that.
THIS. So many kids I went to high school with are buying shitty Crosley players so they can listen to their lame watered-down Man Overboard/ whatever arbitrary pop-punk band you want to insert here/ and think they're really onto something. "Yeah man I collect vinyl, it sounds so much better". "Yeah dude I got it from Urban".
07:38 PM on 05/03/13
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
What about "beer" and "beers."

That one's a thinker...
That's the example I always think of when people go against saying "vinyls". It's clearly a case of a word evolving into lingo.

---
As to the article, I enjoy CDs because as far as I care they're like small vinyls that I can turn to mp3s or play in my car or whatever with ease. Book sized. I like that. Also, no flipping.
08:45 PM on 05/03/13
TopGunAnthem
Northern
User Info.
"I can't hear the difference therefore no one can."
08:51 PM on 05/03/13
mka12992
Is this darkness in you too?
User Info.
I've been "collecting" since about 2009, and I must say, yeah part of the reason I love vinyl so much is that it's cool and helps me feel closer to the music in a way. It's that physical appeal that I can't get from digital music and, most of the time, even CDs. I love the big artwork, I love the awesome colors and sometimes unique packaging. It's a fucking cool thing.

However, I also prefer the sound over digital 9 times out of 10. I don't know what it is, but it's always sounded better to me. I'm not trying to ride the hype, or anything, and I won't pretend that I have an impressive setup or anything, because I really don't. But I would always rather listen to a record than my iPod.

And, interestingly, any time that I've had a friend over that has no interest/knowledge in records and played something for them, they have almost always preferred it, and described it as fuller, warmer, more "alive," and the like- basically all these things that the article negates. I'm not saying one or the other is wrong, just stating my experience.

Anyway, just kinda wanted to weigh in, especially being so passionate about vinyl.
09:03 PM on 05/03/13
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
I agree with this on so many levels.
09:12 PM on 05/03/13
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
User Info.
This is a much better argument than mine. Practically irrefutable. Thank you for this.
09:16 PM on 05/03/13
TheUpside
It All Feels Like an Ending
User Info.
I owned about 3000 cds until recently (thanks amazon trade in) I've been collecting since 95 and over the last couple years and moving to a smaller city without used cd stores I lost the passion. (Not to mention readily available cheap and free digital music) I like vinyl because it restored my passion for collecting music and I enjoy physically putting music on and making an effort and a decision to listen to an album and not just hit shuffle on itunes with 30,000 songs.
09:19 PM on 05/03/13
TheUpside
It All Feels Like an Ending
User Info.
THIS. So many kids I went to high school with are buying shitty Crosley players so they can listen to their lame watered-down Man Overboard/ whatever arbitrary pop-punk band you want to insert here/ and think they're really onto something. "Yeah man I collect vinyl, it sounds so much better". "Yeah dude I got it from Urban".

"I hate when people enjoy the things that they like."
09:29 PM on 05/03/13
camperfrequency
Troy and Abed in the Morning!
User Info.
I buy CDs and MP3s because I can't afford a turntable or all the vinyls I'd want...
09:53 PM on 05/03/13
Cheesus
nope
User Info.
"I hate when people enjoy the things that they like."
Lol this
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives