Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 6
Displaying posts 75 - 90 of 96.
04:12 PM on 05/04/13
ThirdFromTheSun
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
[quote=anamericangod;122140241]... it's better than the alternative of throwing more money at Apple to buy digital files of songs they don't really own. /QUOTE]

I agree with most of your points, but how is buying songs from iTunes any worse that buying a CD from a chain electronics stores?
05:29 PM on 05/04/13
wtfjaked
Tortoise Tamer
User Info.
I own a few vinyl. I can say that Cage the Elephants first album to me does sound a bit better on vinyl. More raw and powerful
06:01 PM on 05/04/13
anamericangod
User Info.
Meh. Records are only really worth listening to if you have good gear. I dont have the money for that so Ill just stick to my mp3s.
lol

[quote=ThirdFromTheSun;122154251]
... it's better than the alternative of throwing more money at Apple to buy digital files of songs they don't really own. /QUOTE]

I agree with most of your points, but how is buying songs from iTunes any worse that buying a CD from a chain electronics stores?

It's not, necessarily, but at least when purchasing a CD you have a physical product to hold and some artwork, I guess. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a CD. It's all vinyl or digital when vinyl isn't an option.
11:02 PM on 05/04/13
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think the key to it sounding better is that most of the time people have to buy a slightly better setup. Most things should sound better with a good setup (digital included). If you are listening to music on desktop computer speakers, laptop speakers, etc... and then switch to some nice speakers and audio equipment it will feel you like you've found the holy grail of sound. Only because you've been listening to music on awful speakers for so long.
Still, desktop speakers with even a shitty subwoofer are way better than laptop speakers. I can't comprehend how people actually listen to music on laptop speakers, you don't hear half the song. All that's usually audible is the melody and any rhythm stuff that falls in higher frequencies.
09:46 AM on 05/05/13
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.
Absoluteaudioengineers.net
09:46 AM on 05/05/13
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.
Music mends broken hertz
09:09 PM on 05/05/13
cshadows2887
User Info.
Vinyl does sound better for some older releases because it was mixed and mastered specifically for that format and the digital transfers can be lifeless sometimes. But with new shit, it's a crock.
11:51 PM on 05/05/13
ThirdFromTheSun
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
[quote=anamericangod;122156051]lol

It's not, necessarily, but at least when purchasing a CD you have a physical product to hold and some artwork, I guess. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a CD. It's all vinyl or digital when vinyl isn't an option.

Alright, I can see what you mean by that, and I agree with you. I've only bought 1 within the past 10 years and that was because it was only 50 cents more than the digital and it came with an instant download.
07:22 AM on 05/06/13
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
Uh, regardless of how "right" this guy is, reading this "discussion" was unbearable because of his try-hard 2edgy4u shtick. How old is he supposed to be?
07:44 AM on 05/06/13
CPF--FBR
@ConnorMEB | Mind Equals Blown
User Info.
Completely true.

Also, if you listen to vinyl on this, you're not getting sound benefits.

Came here to say this. This is, sadly, what I have and it's weak as hell.
10:01 AM on 05/06/13
TomWhaley
The Secondside
User Info.
Thank you to the person that wrote this. I work at a record store and face this "vinyl is so pure and honest" and blah blah blah "vinyl is how the album should sound" shit every day. It's a compressed format. Most albums today are still recorded digitally too. For a record to even compare to the dynamic range of a CD, you need a top-of-the-line player, which I'm doubting most of our 20 something year old customers have. In fact, I often play CD's and vinyl back to back for my coworkers who swear by vinyl, and they unknowingly choose the CD's sound quality 9 times out of 10. I get that vinyl is cool. I buy my favorite albums, frame them, and hang them on my wall, but I would never listen to a cruddy old Pink Floyd vinyl over the 2011 remaster. This is coming from an audiophile with a couple thousand dollar surround sound set up.
10:13 AM on 05/06/13
frenchatticus
"Capitalism is killing music."
User Info.
limited run is cool, but fuck that pretentious bit about does your record player have a weight on the arm blah blah blah. okay maybe it is the cool thing now and that's the explanation for the resurgence, but I'll be damned if my records don't sound better through my harman kardon amp than my fucking apple macbook laptop speakers
10:42 AM on 05/06/13
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
THIS. So many kids I went to high school with are buying shitty Crosley players so they can listen to their lame watered-down Man Overboard/ whatever arbitrary pop-punk band you want to insert here/ and think they're really onto something. "Yeah man I collect vinyl, it sounds so much better". "Yeah dude I got it from Urban".
look bro my mom got me a crosley for Christmas and I just don't want to break her heart...

but yeah I mainly collect vinyl for the physical representation of music aspect, not much of an audiophile but I still want a better turntable. Even when you connect a Crosley to speakers, the quality is a little sub par.
12:18 PM on 05/06/13
Whatareyoudylan
User Info.
look bro my mom got me a crosley for Christmas and I just don't want to break her heart...

but yeah I mainly collect vinyl for the physical representation of music aspect, not much of an audiophile but I still want a better turntable. Even when you connect a Crosley to speakers, the quality is a little sub par.
I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile either, but when I look at the turntable in those things, it really does look like a toy you would get from McDonald's.
02:00 PM on 05/06/13
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile either, but when I look at the turntable in those things, it really does look like a toy you would get from McDonald's.
They're very cheaply made. Apparently, the guys at FYE told my mom it was essential for anyone who wants a turntable. Someone should fire them.

It does it's job but I'm planning to upgrade pretty soon.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests