07:48 AM on 05/04/13
Comedy Round-Up Contributors: Cody Nelson, deadkidsean, deanster321, ImTheSheriff, itsmesean0630, PepsiOne, phaynes1 and Star Slight
1. The Professional Footballers' Association seems to be regretting hiring comedian Reginald D. Hunter to perform at last Sunday's PFA awards.
2. Vulture kicked off their 'Comedy Week' (a theme of this round-up) last week with a list of ' 50 Comedians You Should & ' Will Know.
3. Well, fuck this right off.
4. Sarah Silverman will be filming a special for HBO next month to air this fall.
1. Crackle is diving deeper into the original content game with a second serving of Jerry Seinfeld's wonderful Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee, a bunch of action shows that sound hilariously bad, and.....Joe Dirt 2?
2. Have some gif fun with Bobby Moynihan's Bobby Moynihands.
3. Billy Eichner (of FUSE's Billy On the Street) has been nominated for a Daytime Emmy for 'Best Game Show Host.'
4. Alison Brie has joined the cast of the upcoming TJ Miller/Adam Pally vehicle ' The Hangover: Younger People' 'Search Party.'
5. NTSF:SD:SUV:: is teaming up with the star-studded STSF:SF:DDB:: for a one-off TV movie entitled NTSF:SD:SUV:London to premiere alongside the show's upcoming third season. Check out the poster for what's gearing up to be the best thing ever here.
6. The Office's upcoming finale will not feature Steve Carell. Probably. No, definitely not. Most likely not. We don't think.
7. While Seth Meyers is still reportedly the frontrunner, the battle for Jimmy Fallon's spot has a few new contenders.
8. Veep got renewed this week!
9. We've got a few more details on John Oliver's upcoming run as host of The Daily Show.
10. With Futurama soon ending, Comedy Central has ordered an animated, awesome-sounding, 80's action parody entitled Moonbeam City.
11. The Eric Andre Show was also renewed this week for a second season set to premiere in October.
12. A development I'm becoming more and more excited for, Thomas Lennon and Ben Garant are set to showrun a Funny or Die exec-produced, Chris Hardwick-hosted late night talk show for Comedy Central. Premiering this fall, the show will air four nights a week following the Colbert Report, opposite Pete Holmes' upcoming talk show for TBS.
13. Because I'm assuming the coin landed on heads, Tobey Maguire and Kristen Wiig are attached to join Will Ferrell's upcoming IFC project The Spoils of Babylon.
14. Nathan Fielder is just too good at fucking with people now.
1. Michael Schur, showrunner of Parks & Rec (Entertainment Weekly)
2. Jonathan Groff, Happy Endings EP (TV Guide)
3. Matt Walsh (Splitsider)
4. Zach Galifianakis (Late Night with Jimmy Fallon)
5. Bo Burnham 1 (Vulture)
6. Marc Maron & Julie Klausner (Vulture)
7. Marc Maron (Splitsider)
8. Bo Burnham 2 (Splitsider)
9. Nikki Glaser (Splitsider)
10. Amy Poehler (Late Night with Jimmy Fallon)
11. Dan Soder (Splitsider)
Next Week's Late-Night Guests
Carson Daly: Amy Schumer (M), Kal Penn (T)
Chelsea Lately: Kurt Braunohler (M), Brody Stevens (T), Matt Braunger (W)
Conan: Marc Maron (T), Pete Holmes (Th)
Colbert/Stewart: Mindy Kaling (Stewart, T), David Sedaris (Stewart, Th)
Fallon: Steve Martin (M), Jane Lynch (Th)
Ferguson: Jim Rash (M), Bob Saget (Th)
Kimmel: Simon Pegg (T), will.i.am (Th)
Leno: Ken Jeong (W), Marc Maron (Th)
Letterman: Jim Gaffigan (T)
1. The Thick of It writer Ian Martin shares 60 thoughts about turning 60.
2. Looking back at the fifth season of Parks & Recreation.
3. How Jon Hamm Became America's Sexiest Comedy Nerd
4. The Three Agonizing Stages Between Talk-Show Pilot and Talk Show
5. Check out these amazing photos from the UCB theater circa 2000.
6. How To Be Funny On Twitter, By Expert Funny Tweeter Megan Amram
7. Remembering Stella
8. An Uncensored Oral History of 'The Hangover'
9. Splitsider's Guide to Toronto's Comedy Scene
1. Stand-Up Bit of the Week: Baron Vaughn - "Useless Information"
2. Web Video of the Week: BriTANicK - "Sexy Pool Party"
3. Peter Serafinowicz - "Get Lucky Ft. Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers"
4. JASH - "Fête des Pets"
5. WoodRocket - "Porks & Recreation: The XXX Porn Parody"
6. Modern Comedian: "Phil Hanley - Crowd Work"
7. Chris Gethard - "I Got Cut From Iron Man 3"
8. The Hollywood Reporter - "Comedy Roundtable Ft. Anthony Jeselnik & Kristen Schaal"
9. Funny or Die - "Daft Punk & Andrew The Pizza Guy"
The K Ohle #1 - "The Boat Show" with Paul F. Tompkins
improv4humans #79 - Psychedelic Sign Twirling with Horatio Sanz, Ben Schwartz & Lauren Lapkus
Sklarbro Country #145 - For The Halibut with Rob Corddry
The Todd Glass Show #100 - Rory Scovel
Call Chelsea Peretti #26 - DIAL 1 BEFORE NUM WHEN CALLING THE SHOW Ft. Moshe Kasher
@fred_delicious - Tinky-Winky had spent all his savings on his 40th birthday party, but it was now 1am and nobody had turned up, not even his parents
@fred_delicious - La-La and Po briefly hooked up when Teletubbies finished, but Po's insatiable appetite for rough anal sex had ultimately driven them apart
@kumailn - "Gay people are universally bad at Call of Duty." - study conducted over Xbox Live
@dril - the good things i like about 90s is there were no hipsters, no rap, and your odds of getting an infection at a hospital were slightly higher
@AndyKindler - What's more entertaining? Jimmy Fallon laughing at nothing, or Jimmy Fallon looking for an opportunity to laugh at nothing?@Ant_Water - oh so when an ant digs tunnels underground and drags dead stuff into them it's "industrious" but when I do it I'm a "killer mole-man"
@80sDonDraper - We'll call them Members Only, but sell them to everyone.
@meatlobes - Girls right??? lol who needs em...heh...their butts and stuff...their hair and butts lol....stoopit lol...they have cool butts idc
@idiot_teen - don't cry over spilled milk, smile because it happened
@TheNardvark - That group of drunk girls seems like they think they seem like fun.
@heikojulien - Tell people that you have never seen any of their favorite shows then whenever they make a joke ask them "is that from one of your shows?"
@robdelaney - @CNN Now that Kriss Kross & Van Halen are dead, only House of Pain remains to sing to us about Jumping.
Since this round-up is loaded to the goddamn brim with just about everything but news, my rec this week is simple: Zach Galifianakis is hosting Saturday Night Live tonight. Watch it.
Sources: twitter.com, nerdist.com, earwolf.com, feralaudio.com, thehollywoodreporter.com, laughspin.com, youtube.com, splitsider.com, vulture.com, deadline.com, bbc.co.uk, interbridge.com, insidetv.ew.com, tvguide.com, thewrap.com, huffingtonpost.com, paulscheer.com,
As always, if you have any news to submit or just want to know more about the world of comedy, PM me or go to the Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread. We're knowledgable, friendly, and the best.
07:59 AM on 05/04/13
Jeez, lot to get through today. Few stray thoughts:
- Vulture was in fine form this week. That 50 Comics list is beautiful, and full of well-deserved praise. I haven't read through many of the articles/interviews yet, but the Megan Amram Twitter guide is as amazing as you might think.
- Kurt Braunohler is still not a household name, or even close to one yet, but his podcast The K Ohle is fantastic. Definitely check it out. Neither of them know anything about boats, so obviously they talk about them.
- NBC has done some very stupid things in the past, but if they hire Nick Cannon in any type of position, they will be beyond repair.
- Moonbeam City seriously sounds so fucking funny. It sounds like it could have a Sealab style of comedy, which excites me greatly.
- I'm only about halfway through it, but that Comedy Roundtable interview is really educational. THR is great at hosting that format, and this is no exception.
- I wish I enjoyed Sarah Silverman's stand-up, because HBO's specials are always so aesthetically pleasing to watch.
Alright, time to go read through all of those interviews, jesus.
08:23 AM on 05/04/13
Wasn't 21 and Over basically The Hangover for young people?
08:32 AM on 05/04/13
Then Search Party is Hangover for like that in-between group. All I know is that losing friends in movies is all the rage these days, and even if the male leads rule, I'm still having trouble being on board.
08:38 AM on 05/04/13
It's a young Jean Ralphio bottom right!
08:39 AM on 05/04/13
I for one am EXTREMELY excited about Sarah Silverman's HBO special.
09:21 AM on 05/04/13
They're all Grace-facing.
09:48 AM on 05/04/13
I love the idea of Seth Meyers hosting a more Daily Show-like Late Night at NBC. I think that's the perfect transition for him from SNL.
09:50 AM on 05/04/13
that 50 comics list is gonna waste my day
09:56 AM on 05/04/13
I call bullshit on no Carell.
10:17 AM on 05/04/13
Carrel better be in the finale.
11:06 AM on 05/04/13
The rumor is that the final shot of the last episode will be Michael and Holly watching the documentary on TV from their home in Colorado.
11:10 AM on 05/04/13
Yeah... regardless of his part in it, I think anyone who is in any way familiar with him would've seen that one coming from miles away. At least it served to remind me that he's touring this month, haha.
Options Related News Stories