Password

Album Review

Jacob Bannon - The Blood of Thine Enemies 7" Album Cover

Jacob Bannon - The Blood of Thine Enemies 7"

Reviewed by
Jacob Bannon - The Blood of Thine Enemies 7"
Record Label: Deathwish Inc.
Release Date: first quarter 2008
Iíve noticed it has become increasingly difficult to find something meaningful inside music today. Maybe itís that Iíve become an old man at the ripe old age of 22, or maybe itís that artists wonít take the time to properly arrange an album the way they should. Tracks will bounce from one idea to another without connecting together, leaving the listener craving something more. Maybe what I need is something simple that isnít trying to be overly creative. Maybe I need something to remind me that music is still alive.

Meet Jacob Bannon, who is best known for his incredibly loud vocals in the Epitaph-signed band Converge. Few seem to realize how much this individual has to offer aside from a voice that has the ability to shatter windows. Heís an artist, musician, and businessman who handleís everything over at his record label/distro Deathwish Inc. On said label comes his latest creation, a one track 7Ē vinyl simply dubbed The Blood of Thine Enemies by J. Bannon. Sold as a companion piece to his upcoming solo effort, the 7" should be taken at face value alone and not be mistaken as the sound of future material. Donít expect this track to be featured on his full length record that will be released later this year.

Opening with no more than a few seconds of silence, the six minute track builds off of nothing but an idea of subtlety, fear, hope, and death. Although Bannon does wear his emotions on his sleeves with most of his music, The Blood of Thine Enemies captures something that I believe he hasn't yet expressed before. If a lonely swan were to call out for a mate, this is what it would sound like. Most of the track is atmospheric and depressing, leaving little more than a gasp of hope for the listener to grab onto. Much like a good book, the ending leaves you feeling like you had all the keys in your hand to an answer, but never reached out to unlock the door that features happiness.

Accompanied with this limited to 2,000 etched vinyl copies is a download card that will sure to satisfy all the fans out there who donít even own a record player. While I do still spin vinyls every once in a while, itís much easier for me to drag and drop new music onto my MP3 player. As vinyls lean back into the limelight, it's refreshing being able to own a slab of music but also have a digital copy.

With that said, donít hesitate to visit deathwishinc.com and get yourself a copy of this piece of art. It will give you some much needed inspiration if youíre struggling with the music of today.

Recommended if You LikeConverge, Jesu, Pelican, Mogwai

jacobbannon.com
This review is a user submitted review from skinnypuppy. You can see all of skinnypuppy's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
12:16 PM on 05/12/08
TheOtherAndrew
1-0
User Info.
Very good review. I've never been a huge fan of Converge or anything, but that was very well written.
01:40 PM on 05/12/08
Vertebraille
User Info.
Great review, I really enjoyed this 7", very moody and atmospheric. Does anybody know if there has been any further news on when "Wear Your Wounds" will drop, It's been really hard to find solid information on the release imo.
04:43 PM on 05/12/08
skinnypuppy
Jon Hughes
User Info.
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Great review, I really enjoyed this 7", very moody and atmospheric. Does anybody know if there has been any further news on when "Wear Your Wounds" will drop, It's been really hard to find solid information on the release imo.

Bannon is such a fucking workaholic... Already he's saying Converge is going to start recording new material, but I'm hoping he'll find time to release "Wear Your Wounds" sooner than later.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos