Password

Album Review

Panic at the Disco - Pretty. Odd. Album Cover

Panic at the Disco - Pretty. Odd.

Reviewed by
Panic at the Disco - Pretty. Odd.
Record Label: Decaydance / Fueled by Ramen
Release Date: March 25, 2008
Panic at the Disco are a band one hates to love or loves to hate. After receiving mixed criticism in 2005 for their extremely successful debut album, A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, the band locked themselves away to record and release their highly anticipated sophomore effort, Pretty. Odd.

As a fan of Fever, one would expect the same witty synthesizer-laden pop-punk songs with criminally catchy choruses. However, Panic at the Disco decided to take on the challenge of progression with Pretty. Odd. Gone are the synthesizers and keys, which were replaced by grand pianos and orchestral arrangements, resulting in a handful of stripped-down pop songs.

"We're So Starving," the introduction track, boasts a tongue-in-cheek lyric about the band's current status, as they sing "You don't have to worry / 'Cause we're still the same band."

The feel-good first single, "Nine in the Afternoon" is an upbeat power pop song, which seems to capture the new style Panic at the Disco are trying to embrace. Fans of Fever will have no problem getting into this song, although it might be the only song that remotely resembles the debut.

Pretty. Odd.'s best asset is its amount of diversity. From the swinging styles on "I Have Friends in Holy Spaces," to the balladry in "Northern Downpour," to the bluegrass approach to "Folkin' Around," Panic at the Disco have spent a great deal of time trying to stay away from the uniformity of their debut.

It would be nearly impossible to find a single review of this album without an homage or tribute to the dominant Beatles influence on this album. As blasphemous it may be, it's hard to deny that Panic at the Disco tried to achieve that sound. Not to mention, the album was mixed at London's Abbey Road Studios.

Panic at the Disco have matured in every sense of the word. They have finally stopped riding the coattails of label mates Fall Out Boy. Singer Brendon Urie sheds the comparisons to Fall Out Boy frontman Patrick Stump, as he steps into his own rite on this album.

The other members have grown into their instruments as well by incorporating new sounds and styles, most notably the guitarist, who has taken on a classic rock approach, heard in songs such as "She's a Handsome Woman" and "That Green Gentleman."

The group also seems to be attempting to rid themselves of gimmicks explored on previous ventures like the vaudevillian circus act that was glorified on several tours, and also seem to be a lot more legitimate with their latest endeavor. They’ve even dropped the “!” from the band name. If that doesn’t scream maturity, I don’t know what does.

This release is destined to alienate a good portion of the group's existing fan base, which tends to be your standard pre-pubescent teenager. Although Panic at the Disco are "still the same old band," the album is definitely a step up from its older material, and is not likely to catch on with many existing fans.

Pretty. Odd., while a solid effort overall, doesn’t seem like the type of album with much lasting power, which will be its biggest downfall. If anything, some people will listen to the album based on their curiosity about the validity of the Beatles comparisons, others will continue to despise this band, labeling this as the dreaded sophomore slump, and others will pretend that they’ve never listened to the band.

Recommended if You Likepseudo pretentious power pop, gimmicks, progression, Beatles rip-offs, adding bands to your guilty pleasure list, songs about the weather and/or the moon

myspace.com/panicatthedisco
This review is a user submitted review from weworemasks. You can see all of weworemasks's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 48
03:07 PM on 05/13/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
i like the album but i disagree with a lot of what you said

especially the part about nine in the afternoon being similar to fever
04:14 PM on 05/13/08
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
User Info.
Quote:
It would be nearly impossible to find a single review of this album without an homage or tribute to the dominant Beatles influence on this album.

Haha. The first review didn't mention it.
06:24 PM on 05/13/08
CrashtheFade
User Info.
I love this album! To me, this album says, "we just messed around, advanced our skills and expanded our minds and then kept all the parts that sounded good and melodic". I liked the review, but I guess I find more longevity in it than most. I just can't turn it off.

Please tell me someone else found the song/video/concept for "nine in the afternoon" as the modern Strawberry Fields. (Just like MCR's black parade to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody). A hypothetical place of peace and happiness and enlightened living just outside normal comprehension. Even the ending is similar.
08:04 PM on 05/13/08
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Haha. The first review didn't mention it.

ah well. i wrote this a week before the album came out, and at the time i hadn't seen em.

i like the album but i disagree with a lot of what you said

especially the part about nine in the afternoon being similar to fever

i said it remotely resembled it. there isn't a single song on this album that is like anything on fever, in my opinion.
05:13 AM on 05/14/08
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
User Info.
ah well. i wrote this a week before the album came out, and at the time i hadn't seen em.

It's cool. I'm also laughing at how a big deal made over that reviewer not mentioning The Beatles.
08:07 AM on 05/14/08
aidan1029
User Info.
The band has progressed, and their talent is evident. However, I just can't seem to get into this album. It's solid music, but I just don't like the overall sound. I don't limit myself to one genre, so my dislike for the new cd has nothing to do with being narrowminded. Some people will like it and others will hate it. I'm somewhat indifferent.
08:36 AM on 05/14/08
micahistheballs
AP's Resident Theology Student
User Info.
Best RIYL ever.
08:36 AM on 05/14/08
Legend_Killer91
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
well i really like these guys but i have still yet to hear the new album, anyone want to tell me if it is REALLY good, cause i kloved the last album but some people have said it is not as good, but i beg to differ i think it might be good, but man i need to hear it
09:23 AM on 05/14/08
Bi11 Lumburgh
User Info.
they didn't record the album at abbey roads, i believe it was just mixed there,

and second, how can you call their first release pop-punk? what was punk about it at all, a moderately quick tempo? I'm failing to see how it could ever be considered punk in the least bit, their first album was probably electronic pop
09:25 AM on 05/14/08
parothead310
User Info.
I'm just glad they didn't write the same album over again.
10:14 AM on 05/14/08
buckeightytwo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
'Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London, UK'

*not entire album
10:45 AM on 05/14/08
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
I love this album! To me, this album says, "we just messed around, advanced our skills and expanded our minds and then kept all the parts that sounded good and melodic". I liked the review, but I guess I find more longevity in it than most. I just can't turn it off.

Please tell me someone else found the song/video/concept for "nine in the afternoon" as the modern Strawberry Fields. (Just like MCR's black parade to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody). A hypothetical place of peace and happiness and enlightened living just outside normal comprehension. Even the ending is similar.

No way did you just say My Chemical Romance and fucking Queen are similar...This is getting out of control.
10:51 AM on 05/14/08
Stay.Young
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Brendon Urie.
Seriously, nothing discredits a review quicker than misspelling the band's names wrong.
And it wasn't recorded at Abbey Road, just mixed.
11:13 AM on 05/14/08
scmaley
And away we go
User Info.
Honestly, I would have preferred A Fever You Can't Sweat Out part II, but Pretty. Odd. isn't bad. It's just not what I'm looking to listen to right now.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos