Password

Album Review
This Town Needs Guns - This Town Needs Guns Album Cover

This Town Needs Guns - This Town Needs Guns

Reviewed by
This Town Needs GunsThis Town Needs Guns
Record Label: Big Scary Monsters / Yellow Ghost Records
Release Date: April 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Effortless is a word that comes up in music reviews quite a bit. Usually its usage is incorrect and quite ironic. To say musicians don’t spend countless hours tweaking the tiniest little things – tambourine tempos, lyrical nuances, oddball t-shirt designs – is unfair and really quite rude. Songs don’t appear out of thin air; song ideas do. There’s no doubt in my mind This Town Needs Guns ruminated for hours and hours, creating every angular guitar riff and swift-footed time signature through sheer force of will. But if I was being naïve and, possibly, listening for the first time, I’d tell you these British dudes have some mad improv skills. Each song naturally finds its way into a room already inhabited by bands like American Football and demands floor space with rumbling guitars and especially insightful lyrics. This Town Needs Guns might be far from effortless, but boy if it ain’t a graceful lil’ bastard.

Most songs on this self-titled mini album have been floating around in various places for quite some time. Last year’s split with labelmates Cats and Cats and Cats found This Town Needs Guns stealing the show, but just barely. All four of those songs appear here, including the zig-zagging guitars of “26 Is Dancier Than 4” and the arresting spoken word breakdown of “It’s Not True Rufus, Don’t Listen To The Hat.” Stuart Smith’s vocals are exceedingly smooth in "Rufus" as he sings, “Have some faith / Don’t you know that this is not a race / And we are not contenders now” over fanciful guitar riffing. It’s these crisp moments of serene melody that make the tougher sounds shine brightest.

“Japanese Ultra-Violence in D-Minor (The Saddest Chord)” – yes, the song titles are terrible – is an exclusive on the Aussie version of This Town Needs Guns. The track yearns quietly with rising violin strums and intricate acoustic guitar picking. Wonderfully new territory is forged for the band, and you won’t miss Chris Collis’ tricky drumming one bit. Smith hits a falsetto with ease and everything culminates into quite the engaging love song. “I’ll Forget About You Throwing That Rock Cos That Dance Was Pretty Funny” – yes, the song titles are stupid – also takes a subdued route with more lessons in acoustic guitar mastery. Trumpets waver majestically in the background, while airy backing vocals make the track flow right into its intended destination: a mystical forest complete with gnomes and endless pints.

This Town Needs Guns accomplish goals galore here, and although most longtime fans have heard these tracks, it’s nice to have them all conveniently together. I look forward to having disc upon disc of their complicated-yet-simple math rock (listen to “And I’ll Tell You For Why” for the best example of this sound) filling up my collection for years to come. Getting your hands on this (if you're from America) might be a bit of work and a tad bit pricey, but it'll be worth it. (Trust me! - Blake) Music rarely sounds this accessible while also begging to be carefully dissected. You'll only find more beautiful quirkiness.

Recommended If You Like: American Football, Cats and Cats and Cats, a certain Chuck Klosterman tangent about a certain band from Oxford, Secondsmile, gluttony

It's dark, It's cold, It's winterwww.myspace.com/thistownneedsguns

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43
11:27 PM on 05/08/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
note: this is a review of the Australian version, the Japanese version is slightly different.
04:53 AM on 05/09/08
funkel
how to make love stay
User Info.
Love this band. I really need to order this.
07:22 AM on 05/09/08
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Awesome review Blake! I love this band and Big Scary Monsters is an awesome label
08:40 AM on 05/09/08
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
wow, this is pretty good. actually, it's really good! way to go, blake, yet another reminder that some us will never succeed as musicians, haha...

edit: what's the easiest way to get this record? move to japan or australia?
09:14 AM on 05/09/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
wow, this is pretty good. actually, it's really good! way to go, blake, yet another reminder that some us will never succeed as musicians, haha...

edit: what's the easiest way to get this record? move to japan or australia?

you can order it online, but it'll be pricey

www.thistownneedsguns.com
09:30 AM on 05/09/08
nhoium
YNWA
User Info.
yeah, if you go the japanese route it comes to about $31 (3200 yen) with shipping
i've wanted this release for a while so I forked it up
09:36 AM on 05/09/08
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
Hmmm. Like American Football you say?
I'll check them out.
09:44 AM on 05/09/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
yeah, if you go the japanese route it comes to about $31 (3200 yen) with shipping
i've wanted this release for a while so I forked it up

i love you

WE CAN ONLY BE IGNORED FOR SO LONG
10:05 AM on 05/09/08
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
GREAT Review, I think I saw a thread on these guys from you earlier this week. I checked them and was blown away. You guys always have the best rec's. All ways up my alley too. Thanks
10:09 AM on 05/09/08
TheBaroness
User Info.
yay!
10:14 AM on 05/09/08
LikeACat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good band and a surprisingly good review.
10:27 AM on 05/09/08
randall814
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
blake, you are the reason i still read record reviews. if it's a band i don't know about, i can expect it to be spot on based on your taste and other reviews. such is the case here. excellent band that is now a favorite of mine, thanks to you. keep up the incredible work brother.

thanks again.
10:29 AM on 05/09/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Good band and a surprisingly good review.

gotta love those thinly-veiled disses! Thanks for reading!
10:32 AM on 05/09/08
theguilt engine
User Info.
im not sure if i like the vocals.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News