Username
Password
Funny News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Funny
Inside AP.net

Comedy Round-Up (5/11/13)

Posted by: Cody Nelson (05/11/13)
Hit the replies to discuss this week in comedy.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
08:27 AM on 05/11/13
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Comedy Round-UpContributors: Cody Nelson, deadkidsean, deanster321, ImTheSheriff, itsmesean0630, PepsiOne, phaynes1 and Star Slight

Stand-Up News

1. In seriously awesome news, the first stand-up comedy album by the legendary Andy Kaufman will be released this July. The project was produced by Wonder Showzen's Vernon Chatman and narrated by Bill Hader.

2. Rick Moranis will also be releasing a musical comedy album later this year.

3. Jim Gaffigan released his book Dad Is Fat this week.

4. Speaking of books, Twitter phenom and writer Megan Amram signed a book deal of her own.

TV/Film News

1. Pilots got decided on this week, and that prompted both good and bad results.

2. Renewed: Parks & Recreation, Community, Suburgatory, Modern Family, The Middle

3. Cancelled: Happy Endings, Rules of Engagement, Literally everything else described by TV Guide as 'Comedy' on NBC

4. Childrens' Hospital just keeps getting fucking crazier more awesome.

5. Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn have signed on to co-star in the project 'Daddy's Home,' which will almost certainly not be very good.

6. Amy Poehler and her brother have formed a production company, and their first project is a TV show.....in Sweden?

7. Stephen Colbert's sister unfortunately lost her congressional bid in South Carolina.

8. Check out a spoiler-filled look at the massive brawl from the upcoming Anchorman 2.

9. Looks like Jimmy Fallon won't be getting his new 25 million dollar Tonight Show super-studio anymore, and will have to settle for a 5 million dollar piece of shit.

10. The Office series finale has been supersized to 75 minutes long, from 9 to 10:15pm ET, immediately following an hour-long retrospective on the show.

11. Beloved UK workplace comedy The IT Crowd is officially returning for a proper (and extra-long) final special.

12. Adam Scott is in talks to replace John Cusack in the upcoming Hot Tub Time Machine sequel.

13. You can watch the pilot for Kyle Kinane's never-was travel pilot Going Nowhere over on Vimeo. Spoiler alert: It's great.

14. So Steve Carell is definitely going to be in the Office finale now. Unless he won't be. But that won't happen. Only if it does.

15. Apparently, over 6 minutes was cut from the 4th season finale of Community. Luckily for you fans, writer Megan Ganz tweeted out pictures of script pages that didn't quite make it in.

14. Vulture put together a nice piece about what each Office member will be up to once the show is finished.

15. They also managed to put together three paragraphs on the origin of Will Arnett's chicken dance for Arrested Development.

Interviews

1. The Grawlix Sketch Troupe (Splitsider)

2. Adam Pally (Vulture)

3. Chelsea Peretti (Splitsider)

4. Joe DeRosa (Splitsider)

5. Erik Griffin (Splitsider)

Next Week's Late-Night Guests
Chelsea Lately: Natasha Leggero (Th)
Conan: Zach Galifianakis & Jim Gaffigan (W)
Fallon: Portia de Rossi (M), Ken Jeong (T)
Kimmel: Simon Pegg (M)
Leno: Nick Offerman (W), Adam Sandler (Th)
Letterman: Ed Helms (W), Will Arnett (F)

Feature Articles

1. Splitsider's Summer Comedy Guides to TV and Movies.

2. Saying Goodnight to Chicago's "Late Live Show"

3. The Season of the Not-Quite-There Sitcom

4. I Know How To Make Your Movie Better, By Django Gold

Videos

1. Stand-Up Bit of the Week: Tig Notaro - "Taylor Dayne"

2. Web Video of the Week: The Lonely Island - "Spring Break Anthem"

3. The Chris Gethard Show - "Who Needs A Haircut? with Zach Galifianakis"

4. The World's End - Theatrical Trailer

5. Modern Comedian - "Episode 19: Kids with Jim Gaffigan"

Podcasts

Comedy Bang! Bang! #218 - The 4th Anniversary Extravaganza
improv4humans #80 - Do You Sell Fuck Pillows?
The Todd Glass Show #102 - James Adomian & Tom Martin
Chewin' It With Kevin & Steve #10 - Will Forte
Slumber Party with Alie & Georgia #17 - Emily Gordon
Weird Adults with Little Esther #41 - Michael Showalter

Tweets

Quote:
@dril: I DRIVE OFF OF A CLIFF AND SCRAMBLE TO RIP THE AXLE OFF OF MY CAR AND LIFT IT ABOVE MY HEAD AS I PLUMMET TOWARDS CERTAIN DOOM. ONE LAST REP
@oxygenplug: [Botany museum] "Oh god what happened!?" "The display is 43% Burnt & the plant is missing!" "But how?" *reads plaque* Dillinger Escape Plant
@lawblob: Hello 911? have you seen The Wire..?
@electrolemon: "The cat's out of the bag!" - a hip and cool way to announce that your cat is gay
@wolfpupy: no matter how many puppy preschool classes we attend this dog is still a rat i found in the sewer
@Mattytalks: Why is it called a sleeping bag and not a Napsack
@kemichels: So far, my bucket list only consists of all the animals I want to touch.
@UhimjenHEY: Is there a website to keep track of how often you cry but it's also a social network, people who cry the most are popular
@MeganNeuringer: imagine woody allen saying "my *****".
@mallelis: They pulled the sheet back over the Hamburglar's face. Grimace shuddered. "Yes, that's him," he said. "I'll...make the edible arrangements."

Cody's Pick

For those of you who didn't notice, we began Phase II of comedy coverage on AP.net this week with an ABSOLUTExclusive of a track off the new Pete Holmes album, which comes out on Tuesday. My recommendation this time around is to check out the special that corresponds with that album. It's called Nice Try, The Devil and it premieres on Comedy Central tomorrow night at 10/9 central. Also, be on the lookout for my review of the album on Monday and my interview with Holmes following later that week.

See you guys next Saturday!

----------
Sources: absolutepunk.net, splitsider.com, laughspin.com, twitter.com, youtube.com, deadline.com, thehollywoodreporter.com, peteholmes.com, feralaudio.com, nerdist.com, earwolf.com, video.uk.msn.com, interbridge.com, vulture.com, vimeo.com, thewrap.com, amazon.com
----------
As always, if you have any news to submit or suggestions for comedians, albums or podcasts to cover, PM me or go to the Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread. We're knowledgable, friendly, and the best.
08:31 AM on 05/11/13
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
Fuck yes for The IT Crowd.
08:42 AM on 05/11/13
gonfreaks
User Info.
I really hope someone else picks up Happy Endings, I just can't deal with that show being cancelled.
09:13 AM on 05/11/13
dohare
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
as long as parks and rec never goes anywhere, ever.
09:14 AM on 05/11/13
...atfirstsight
User Info.
ABC really fucked over Happy Endings, which was easily one of the best shows on TV this year.

I will definitely be watching that Kyle Kinane pilot... I love that man's standup.

I gave Bo Burnham's new show "Zach Stone is Gonna Be Famous" a try and it's not bad (compared to anything else on MTV). It's almost like watching an 18 year old Michael Scott trying to fake his way to fame.
09:29 AM on 05/11/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
@MeganNeuringer: imagine woody allen saying "my *****"

lmao
09:31 AM on 05/11/13
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
Happy Endings being cancelled is just the most unfortunate news even if its not surprising at all. Crossing my fingers it gets picked up.

Also, I hate to be the type of person that will only watch one episode of The Office this season - the finale - but hey, gotta see how it ends.
09:48 AM on 05/11/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
this wasted two hours of my day I don't know if I'm happy or upset

the Way Way Back looks really really good.
09:50 AM on 05/11/13
JayDanielHammer
solidkneeplus.tumblr.com
User Info.
Going to be tough watching The Office. Such a huge part of my life. Probably the first show I had a real connection with. I don't think I'm ready for it to end.
09:52 AM on 05/11/13
Cody Nelson
User Info.
For the unaware, that Tig Notaro story is one of the most hilarious, plausible stories any stand-up is currently telling. Yeah, it's close to 15 minutes long, but it's well worth your time.
09:53 AM on 05/11/13
Chuck!
Lost Forever // Lost Together
User Info.
Happy Endings cancelled. Mulaney not picked up.

Community renewed.

Fuck the world.
09:54 AM on 05/11/13
Cody Nelson
User Info.
Happy Endings cancelled. Mulaney not picked up.

Community renewed.

Fuck the world.
All that really needs to be said. There were some good choices made throughout this week, obviously, but it seems like whenever the bad decision could be made, it was.
10:28 AM on 05/11/13
Jake Gyllenhaal
I'm sorry, T!
User Info.
For the unaware, that Tig Notaro story is one of the most hilarious, plausible stories any stand-up is currently telling. Yeah, it's close to 15 minutes long, but it's well worth your time.
Ugh... she's still milking that bit? Give it a rest, Tig!

kidding
11:02 AM on 05/11/13
dangerofthought
An Uneducated Opinion
User Info.
Seriously bummed that Go On got cancelled by NBC and they chose to renew Community. I loved the first two seasons of Community but this past season has been hard to watch at times. Some really funny moments and some really poor moments. Loved Go On though, and I feel like it was just starting to find a great groove. Loved Mr. K's character.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests