|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
It's directly related to my real name, my surname's actually Murray. My Scottish clan title (I'm Scottish) is Murray of Atholl.
2. How did this band get started?
Well I have written music from the age of 21, but never let anyone hear it. I then decided to return to uni to study music, and that's when I let people hear my music. They were very encouraging, and gave me confidence, so I've started releasing my music to the world.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
I'm influenced by alternative female piano songwriters: Tori Amos, Kate Bush and Fiona Apple. I guess since my influences are female, my music is different from other guys my age.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I would love to go on tour with The Corrs. They were my favourite band growing up, and had amazing songs. I've seen them in concert many times, and I used to have the biggest crush on Andrea Corr in my teens. Annie Lennox would be amazing to tour with as well, and Texas (showing some Scottish support here). I'd love to tour with Biffy Clyro, however, I really don't think me opening for them would set the scene.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Mexican, all the way, but I guess KFC is easy enough. I love their chicken wraps.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Well I class myself as alt-classical, so if you want to hear neoclassical compositions and orchestrations with contemporary lyrics and themes, give me a try!
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I'd swap places with Ellen MacArthur, I think it would be amazing to go sailing round the world by myself. Think of all the writing I'd get done.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Everyone who ever believed in me, and encouraged me. I'd probably leave a few people out though, because my memory is terrible.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'm not a fan of the music industry just now. There's not a lot of promise, and a lot of acts sound the same. I would banish bands or artists who can't play an instrument. I'd also banish Emeli Sandé.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Performing in front of my step-dad for the first time in my teens. Felt so proud.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP is amazing for keeping me up to date with artists I like, but more so for helping me discover new artists that I'd not find anywhere else. It is my dream to get my music reviewed on AP.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favourite song to play from my album is the instrumental 'The Sarsens', because I can forget about singing and concentrate on the piano 100%.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I love the beach and I love skiing. I haven't been skiing for years though, and am dying to get back on the slopes. I love Barcelona, it's an amazing city. I'd love to go to Hawaii and Las Vegas.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The album of my childhood would have to be Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette. I remember sitting with my best friend and the lyrics booklet, shrieking along to that album. Those were the days.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The million dollar question. It would either be flying or being invisible. Flying would be so cool, but to be invisible and go and watch people you're attracted to getting changed, would also be cool. Is that sick?
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Well I suffer from performance anxiety, so I reckon it would be drinking a lot, however, I don't drink any more. A cheeky joint?
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I used to work as a geologist in the oil industry.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
The radio and the chart industry is a mess. Too much sounds the same. I don't think I could flourish there, however there are many independent radio stations providing exposure to unheard of artists. This is an amazing feat thanks to the internet.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I read a lot of books, and watch a lot of DVDs. I love long walks with my dog too.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I've got an amazing sense of hearing and taste.