Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 10 posts.
11:20 PM on 05/13/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
So in your Suburbia review (or at least the comments) you mentioned that it was their Deja Entendu and I thought that was a perfect description. The Upsides (much like YFW) was a great pop punk record, but Suburbia was genre defining. Does it fit to call this their Devil and God or is that pushing the metaphor too much?

(Clearly there are difference. I don't think the musical difference between this and Suburbia is as stark as the Deja/TDAG difference, but then neither was the Upsides/Suburbia difference. content wise also TWY created a trilogy where as BN just created three different albums. But in terms of legacy, which is what the original comparison was really all about in the first place, this album seals any doubt about who the best band in the newer breed of pop punk is much like TDAG did for Brand New and their scene. I still think its a little early to say just where this album stands in comparison to Suburbia, but after the first few listens I'd probably put it a little higher so all in all it still seems like a fairly accurate metaphor.)
i regret making that comparison it makes no sense haha
05:00 AM on 05/14/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Such a late review posting.
Day of release?
07:52 AM on 05/14/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
What the? "Final Verdict: 3%"
3%??????????????????????!!??!?!!???
You guys are makin' my dreams come true!
It's no YNE that's for sure.
Nothing is that.
Anybody else kinda wish they would have thrown in an "I'm not sad anymore" in there somewhere?
Literally never.
Meant in terms of time.
2am? haha
08:58 AM on 05/14/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I know there's no score because of the feeling that you don't HAVE to give it a rating to show it's a good album, but it would help if you did so it would appear in the "Best New Music" section, instead of warding people off with a -3% score.

Great review though, I love this album and I think it eclipses everything TWY have done. Since the leak, I'm on my 17th playthrough.
i'm just going to make it a 10/10 in a couple weeks so it registers on shit like that. i'm not some mysterious writer i just want people to listen to the record and decide for themselves.
08:24 AM on 05/15/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Not to be "that guy," but anyone listening to TWY before The Upsides knew they would be great (because they already were). The Upsides didn't have to prove the band wasn't a fluke, let alone Suburbia, because they never were one.
I mean, you kind of are being "that guy," because the band changed completely since then and improved to levels that you can't really predict when you're listening to songs about land pirates or whatever
06:49 AM on 05/16/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Question: Is it better than "Born to Run?"
lol. at least there is a born to run reference in the second track.
07:21 AM on 05/21/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
no

thank you

i get your logic, but my stance is that it was a terrible mistake to do away with the categorized ratings. it would have been better to implement them into the reviews themselves rather than get rid of them. but to take away an overall rating entirely is folly. it's just as pointless as having ratings without reviews. it's important to not look at them and say that one should exist without the other; instead, they should compliment each other. i hope the admins will eventually realize this. sure, it's their site, but i'd hope that dogmatism won't completely wipe out my favorite part of the original ap.
My review of this band's last record evoked pages of comments about how it couldn't be a 9.5/10. I liked this album more so I was in a position to give it another 9.5 or a 10, which would have resulted in the same discussion. I left the score off to change the discussion a bit -- and while it wound up with less comments than it would have had I rated it, I think the discussion was more centered around the record this time, so I'm not sad about it.
08:31 AM on 05/22/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I like it as much as I've liked any of their records. Pop punk isn't my go-to genre anymore but they're really honest and I like that about them. Staying relevant and making great albums 3-times in a row is a huge accomplishment, too.
I was talking to someone about this earlier. How many bands have really made three excellent records in a row? The list is a short one.
10:15 AM on 05/22/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Only in like pop punk orrrrr

Saves the Day
Blink 182
Weezer
Alkaline Trio
The Lawrence Arms
The Menzingers
Bomb the Music Industry
Laura Stevenson & the Cans
Green Day
The Starting Line
New Found Glory
Well yeah, I'd say "scene" bands haha for the purposes of the discussion. You have a few bands that I had as well. Might do a "countdown" feature about it Friday.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests