AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
DVD News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
DVD
Inside AP.net

First Things First Release "This Is Who We...

Posted by: Alex DiVincenzo (05/14/13)
First Things First released a documentary titled This Is Who We Are. It takes an in-depth look at the trials and tribulations of being in an unsigned touring band. Watch it in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
03:53 PM on 05/14/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
06:46 PM on 05/14/13
iseejosh
Registered Member
User Info.
really interesting documentary. but theres something about the singers voice that prevents me from getting into the band.
08:52 PM on 05/14/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
These guys are local for me! Cool to see them get posted about here.
08:53 PM on 05/14/13
scormier2
User Info.
Pretty solid documentary. I'm glad to see these guys doing well.
09:59 PM on 05/14/13
chordsforacure
Host of the Saint Mort Show!
User Info.
really interesting documentary. but theres something about the singers voice that prevents me from getting into the band.
As a dude who's booked them a few times for Chords for Cures (mad love for bands willing to play a free show to help sick kids) I can tell you that I like them live but not a huge fan of the recordings. I wouldn't write them off completely. Check out a live show if you can, they're tight and I prefer his live vocals to the recorded by a long shot.
07:55 AM on 05/15/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I watched the whole thing.
I had not heard of this band before and I've got nothing to gain from bashing them.
This is everything done wrong. I still don't know who the singer or the drummer is. I heard people say Steve a lot. Why should I care? Because you're a band? There's nothing original about this and it serves no purpose. You're doing exactly what a thousand other bands are doing and you didn't show me anything about your music what so ever.

I normally don't recommend bands to study marketing - but can you please make sure that you're saying something worthwhile next time?
08:10 AM on 05/15/13
ssteveohh
User Info.
I watched the whole thing.
I had not heard of this band before and I've got nothing to gain from bashing them.
This is everything done wrong. I still don't know who the singer or the drummer is. I heard people say Steve a lot. Why should I care? Because you're a band? There's nothing original about this and it serves no purpose. You're doing exactly what a thousand other bands are doing and you didn't show me anything about your music what so ever.

I normally don't recommend bands to study marketing - but can you please make sure that you're saying something worthwhile next time?
LOL
08:10 AM on 05/15/13
ssteveohh
User Info.
not every band is for every one, just happy you watched it!
08:48 AM on 05/15/13
jpepe
User Info.
I want to first say I applaud these dudes for getting out there and really giving it a shot, even if I don't really dig their music a whole bunch.

But man they need to give me a reason to CARE about their journey. There's nothing here that makes me feel anything except a pretty run of the mill local band story. Get a real filmmaker to add production value spliced in with your own road videos, etc. Make my gut really want to check you guys out even if it's not my genre of music. So that I feel like "wow... these dudes are special, I need to pay attention." Make your story more interesting and make it the center fold not just a bunch of guys talking about how they met. Anyway we all are trying to find our way in this crazy world of the music industry. Just some words of advice.
09:03 AM on 05/15/13
frenchieissohot
FRENCHIE!
User Info.
i never heard of this band before, but i like it! pop punk throwbacks rule!
10:23 AM on 05/15/13
ssteveohh
User Info.
i never heard of this band before, but i like it! pop punk throwbacks rule!
thank you sir! really appreciate it, hope our paths cross soon!
11:04 AM on 05/15/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I want to first say I applaud these dudes for getting out there and really giving it a shot, even if I don't really dig their music a whole bunch.

But man they need to give me a reason to CARE about their journey. There's nothing here that makes me feel anything except a pretty run of the mill local band story. Get a real filmmaker to add production value spliced in with your own road videos, etc. Make my gut really want to check you guys out even if it's not my genre of music. So that I feel like "wow... these dudes are special, I need to pay attention." Make your story more interesting and make it the center fold not just a bunch of guys talking about how they met. Anyway we all are trying to find our way in this crazy world of the music industry. Just some words of advice.

Glad we share opinions on this.
I don't think they have to get a "real filmmaker" to help them though. Production is gravy and a strong story is the most important thing. For what it's worth, I thought it was edited quite well.
Judging from their responses though, they don't seem interesting in anything but mindless praise. That's a bad miss.

I just don't think they've got an interesting story yet. You usually need exceptional/unique music to get there in the first place and that's obviously not there yet. A lot of bands just avoid working on their music and this is sadly a case of that.

Write some great tunes. You're a band.
11:11 AM on 05/15/13
ssteveohh
User Info.
I don't think they have to get a "real filmmaker" to help them though. Production is gravy and a strong story is the most important thing. For what it's worth, I thought it was edited quite well.
Judging from their responses though, they don't seem interesting in anything but mindless praise. That's a bad miss.

I just don't think they've got an interesting story yet. You usually need exceptional/unique music to get there in the first place and that's obviously not there yet. A lot of bands just avoid working on their music and this is sadly a case of that.

damnit, we stink
12:05 PM on 05/15/13
jpepe
User Info.

Referring to a "real filmaker" I should have been more clear. At least someone with an eye for story and with some equipment. Shit, get a film student to lapel mic them up and shoot the interview for almost no cost. At least they'd have decent audio on the interview portions, and you'd be giving someone with a passion for that part of the creative side some more experience. And the film maker, student, or friend can help them find their story, public interest, and voice as well.

As far as their music goes, ehhh just not my typical genre. They seems to have somewhat of a growing fan base, so they're doing something right. As any band big or small should, they need to focus on songwriting as the most important part of anything they do. Some of it seems kinda loose on their disc and at other times they hit that genre just right. No shame in accepting they as a band should always be getting better with each new song.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests