AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AFI News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AFI Releases Another Teaser

Posted by - 05:01 PM on 05/14/13
AFI continues to keep things mysterious with the release of another teaser video, which you can watch in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 58
05:01 PM on 05/14/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
05:21 PM on 05/14/13
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
I'd be happy with just a song...
05:22 PM on 05/14/13
renedex
User Info.
This band used to be good. A long time ago.
05:25 PM on 05/14/13
Amongster
Again And Again
User Info.
This is worse than the Shone videos.
05:28 PM on 05/14/13
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
I've never understood why people like this band.
05:31 PM on 05/14/13
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Love you AFI but I'm not feeling these American Horror Story promos.
05:57 PM on 05/14/13
ACA
Next Show: CircaSurvive/TitleFight
User Info.
I've never understood why people like this band.

Two great punk records with a ridiculously energetic show.

Then, a hardcore record that took their live show to the next level.

A series of Gothic-inspired records, with fantastic lyrics and a we-love-our-fans attitude (fan club, tab requests, sing-on-the-record contests, tons of free giveaways all the time..). To make a connection that a lot of AP.net people would get -- it's similar to what The Wonder Years are doing now with the constant give-back-to-the-people-who-make-our-music-possible, but I'd say AFI did it better with the tools they had their disposal more than a decade ago (not to knock TWY who are doing a great job).

Then, a mainstream-ready record (with a few huge singles) that didn't really split the fan base, often considered as part of a three-way tie for their best record. A live show that peaked and found the band selling out 3000+ venues across the country, while taking out a ton of quality bands (Thursday, Thrice, Coheed and Cambria come to mind) along the way.

From there, they released decemberunderground to a pretty wide audience and roped in a number of new fans. Again, the live show blew away most of their 3000-capacity venue peers and they took out amazing bands (The Dillinger Escape plan, for example) along the way.

In short, it's pretty obvious that giving back to your fans at every turn, penning fantastic lyrics, executing your live show at an unreal level, and supporting other great bands is a good reason why they have the number of fans they do.

If you're interested in checking them out, I'd recommend grabbing Black Sails in the Sunset (1999), The Art of Drowning (2000), and Sing the Sorrow (2003), the lyrics sheets, and a few hours of your time to sit down and listen. They're definitely a hoodie-weather band, so as close to Halloween as you can get would be the ideal introduction.

(The band is also pretty vocal about healthy living (straight-edge, vegan, etc), animal rights, and human rights -- topics that draw strong emotional attachments from people.)
05:58 PM on 05/14/13
gloriousmuse
you've left me speechless
User Info.
Over these videos. Release the music already. I'm curious to know what it sounds like since it's been ages since I've listened to them.
06:05 PM on 05/14/13
Kgod
I disagree!
User Info.

A series of Gothic-inspired records, with fantastic lyrics and a we-love-our-fans attitude (fan club, tab requests, sing-on-the-record contests, tons of free giveaways all the time..). To make a connection that a lot of AP.net people would get -- it's similar to what The Wonder Years are doing now with the constant give-back-to-the-people-who-make-our-music-possible, but I'd say AFI did it better with the tools they had their disposal more than a decade ago (not to knock TWY who are doing a great job).

Then, a mainstream-ready record (with a few huge singles) that didn't really split the fan base, often considered as part of a three-way tie for their best record. A live show that peaked and found the band selling out 3000+ venues across the country, while taking out a ton of quality bands (Thursday, Thrice, Coheed and Cambria come to mind) along the way.

From there, they released decemberunderground to a pretty wide audience and roped in a number of new fans. Again, the live show blew away most of their 3000-capacity venue peers and they took out amazing bands (The Dillinger Escape plan, for example) along the way.

In short, it's pretty obvious that giving back to your fans at every turn, penning fantastic lyrics, executing your live show at an unreal level, and supporting other great bands is a good reason why they have the number of fans they do.

If you're interested in checking them out, I'd recommend grabbing Black Sails in the Sunset (1999), The Art of Drowning (2000), and Sing the Sorrow (2003), the lyrics sheets, and a few hours of your time to sit down and listen. They're definitely a hoodie-weather band, so as close to Halloween as you can get would be the ideal introduction.

(The band is also pretty vocal about healthy living (straight-edge, vegan, etc), animal rights, and human rights -- topics that draw strong emotional attachments from people.)
"This", does not do this post enough justice. You made me like AFI more then I thought I already did haha. Well played.
06:08 PM on 05/14/13
Kevin_MI
User Info.
I doubt I'll ever like an album as much as Black Sails/The Art of Drowning again, but hopefully they prove me wrong.
06:14 PM on 05/14/13
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
After the way Fall Out Boy returned, that is kind of what I am judging against now. It's a long way until August, but overall I am excited to hear what they have in store. I am guessing this will build off of Crash Love.
06:35 PM on 05/14/13
Zorlak
Crusher Destroyer
User Info.

Perfect response, AFI is the most important band in my life, got me through so much stuff and I feel like I matured with then at the same time, trying different music and such. I can also write a whole page of how much AFI meant to me, my friends, and other people that I've met in life. If people in here don't get why this band is has such a strong and cult like following, then they were probably too young when AFI was around in their peak back in 2000.
06:38 PM on 05/14/13
ManchesterOrch8
Hi, I'm Andy Hull.
User Info.
Clandestine part 2?

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee.
06:40 PM on 05/14/13
chrisdazzo
Discarnate, preternatural.
User Info.
Sick of this arthouse creepy shit, let's get some music in this bitch.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos