AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Dropper's Neck - 05.15.13

Interviewed by
The Dropper's Neck - 05.15.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Dropper's Neck

www.facebook.com/thedroppersneck

1. How did you get your band name?

It is taken from the lyrics of Heroin by The Velvet Underground. It's one of Lloyd's (lead vocals) favourite songs of all time from the famous Velvet Underground & Nico / Andy Warhol album.

2. How did this band get started?

It all started with Chris, Danny and an old pal called Loui jamming in a cabin in the woods, about June 2011. When I say a cabin in the woods, this place is hidden at the bottom of some guys massive garden and looks like the setting of The Evil Dead. But it's an awesome place to practice that not many people locally know about, a lot cheaper and has a better sound system than the competition down the road. Soon George joined the other three, but it wasn't really going much past Nirvana and Queens of the Stone Age covers. After a bit of a confrontation Loui left and Chris started writing some riffs and songs of his own, bringing them to practice with Danny and George. At the same time he started looking for a frontman and found Lloyd. Lloyd had been looking to start a band so shortly afterwards found ex-bassist Martin Huggett. Recording and gigging all started a few months later, about April 2012.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Our influences range from older acts such as The Stooges, The Cramps, The Misfits, Dead Kennedys, The Clash and The Velvet Underground along with more modern groups such as Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster, Pulled Apart By Horses, Gallows, The Blood Brothers and Queens of the Stone Age.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I guess playing with The Stooges back in the early '70s would be pretty incredible. Iggy Pop was and still is such a livewire on stage so I touring with them would be amazing. As for nowadays, we'd love to play with Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster. They're not huge but they've got a really loyal following and put on an incredible show. They're also a massive influence on our music so it would be an honour.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Activia Strawberry Yogurts, Dairylea Dunkers and minted lamb. Not all together though.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because we're a bit different to a lot of the music on the scene at the moment. I know it's cliche to say 'genre-defying' or whatever but generally there's not many bands around with a unique and distinguishable sound. It's chaotic but catchy, dark but energetic.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Athlete or general sportsman? Athlete I guess would have to be Paula Radcliffe because the nation would accept me even if I defecated in public and on television in front of millions. Sportsperson... Gazza, maybe? What a man.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Jesus. Because if he hadn't done such a cracking job the first time round then we might not have written our album 'Second Coming'.... Yeah.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Young people would go out to their local venue still, regardless of who was on, just go, every week, because they love live music. Just like we all did when we were 16.

10. Memorable tour experience?

We were supported by an amazing band from Stoke called The Black Mirrors. It was an amazing show with a great crowd and they joined us on stage at the end of the night for a completely chaotic version of I Wanna Be Your Dog which was messy, noisy and incredible.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Absolute Punk is a cracking website that we've always seen as a great place to discover new music and get news on bigger bands too.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Finishing a show with Abrasive is always amazing, it's a great live song, up and down and chaotic throughout, a slow quiet breakdown, you'll usually find Lloyd in the crowd at this point, and then a huge, noisy finish.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Barcelona is cool. It's not the Spain that's been taken over and made English like certain areas, there's some great history and amazing buildings and art.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

For me (Lloyd) I heard some great music from my dad and older brother. My dad introduced me to Bob Dylan, T.Rex and Rolling Stones at a young age. He listened to some awful stuff too. My brother was a true 90s teen so I grew up hearing him playing Pulp, Blur, Oasis and Supergrass amongst others. Pulp are the ones that stuck, I still listen to them quite a bit now, Jarvis Cocker is a genius.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Mind Control. Use it to start a revolution, a musical one, start a massive scene on the live music circuit again. Although yes, I can spot the irony and hypocrisy in using mind control to start a revolution...

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Doesn't everyone have a pre-show poo?

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

That none of us really knew each other that well before the band. It's like we've been best friends for years but the band happened and the friendship grew with it.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I don't really know a lot about radio. Which sounds awful as I'm in an up and coming band. To be honest, I've always had such a vast record collection that I've often thought, why would I want to listen to someone else's choice? However, in recent years I have started try to take notice more. They're are some great smaller and independent stations trying really hard to expose new music. If only more people took the time to listen to the little guys then they make find something amazing, a band that's far more personal to them that they can follow.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Read, drink, watch films, go to gigs.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Jack can balance 20 pence pieces on his elbow, throw them up and catch them. That's about the best we could come up with. Lloyd wrote a couple of plays once, one of which nearly got put on... But then didn't.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version