AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
TV/TV - Something to Get Excited About Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 9
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

TV/TV - Something to Get Excited About

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (05/14/08)
TV/TV - Something to Get Excited About
Record Label: None
]Release Date: March 18, 2008

TV/TV are about having fun with rock music. Their 5-track EP Something to Get Excited About is rip-roaring rock fun with cheerleading-like rallies that pump up your adrenaline and give you the kick you need to go chasing after the one you want to hook up with and experience everything that you have ever conjured up in your head. Produced by Zach Odorn and Kenneth Mount, Something to Get Excited About gets as wild and spirited as a party hosted by actor Ashton Kutcher.

The album starts off with the cheerleading calls of “Get It, Get It” as singer/guitarist Josh Ocean trades off lead with the gang vocals of girls. It becomes a call and response exchange as the girls call out “Oh Boy, you think you’re ready for it” and Ocean calls back “Damn girl, can I get it, get it?” This is a track that is sure to become a fan favorite for this band. It is the type of song that TV/TV’s fans will be requesting even when these guys are as old as The Rolling Stones are today. Guitarist Joe Esposito takes it down a notch on “Indie Rock Girl” and “Call It Love” to a light jangle-rock gait as the grooves made by bassist Francois and drummer Andrew Vanetta take on a less urgent stride. The track “Rockstar” has episodes of over-arching guitar riffs across the barnacles of sledge-hammering rhythms holding firmly as Ocean’s vocals sound like the guy-next-door singing in the mirror. The final track “Let It Go” has more bite than the previous songs with more heat emitted from Ocean’s vocals and more steam rising out of the guitar and rhythm section.

TV/TV are a band with a lot of potential. They still have that 'guy next door wanting to be in a rock band' feel about them, but with more polish and seasoning they could be much bigger than a local band making the rounds through New York City‘s club circuit. TV/TV’s 5-track EP Something to Get Excited About shows the stars in these guys' eyes and their urge to play to audiences from a stage in the center of a packed stadium.

Recommended if You LikeArctic Monkeys, The Kooks, The Strokes

myspace.com/tvkicksass

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
09:56 AM on 05/22/08
PassedOut
Ding!
User Info.
I adore this band
10:07 AM on 05/26/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
pretty sick
ill order this
04:59 PM on 05/26/08
Wisher
mattvogelphoto.com
User Info.
I really like this EP, it's just fantastic pop punk.

One thing about this EP that I love is that each song sounds influenced by a different band, at least in terms of vocals, but made into a pop punk song, thanks to TV/TV.

Call It Love sounds completely Good Charlotte ... in a good way? Especially the chorus :D

Indie Rock Girl was an easy one. I instantly put my finger on Third Eye Blind, but only during parts. The signature 3EB falsetto is heard every chorus during the third time 'indie rock girl' is sung. Oh and also 2:15. If I turned this song on right then, I would mistake it for Third Eye Blind.

Let It Go sounds like Jet during various parts of the song, especially with the distorted echoes.

Anyways, none of this is bad, I actually enjoy it a lot. This is one of my favorite EPs of the year so far.
04:45 PM on 07/25/08
teenagetwilight
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Met them yesterday on purevolume. The songs are so fucking catchy, it's hard to explain, I felt addicted to them instantly, and I'm listening to them right now. Such a promising band.

But I don't get the RIYL part. These bands have nothing in common with TV/TV.
10:08 PM on 04/22/09
wheresfluffy?
User Info.
legit sick band , definitly a sick a EP
07:18 AM on 06/13/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Incredible EP
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music