Displaying user's 2 posts.
08:30 PM on 05/15/13
topshelfsquad
User Info.
Thanks, dude.
04:40 PM on 05/16/13
topshelfsquad
User Info.
Hoping to order this as soon as possible. Sucks that it leaked, but at least Topshelf is taking it in stride. One of my favorite labels.

Thanks! I wrote up a thing about it: http://topshelfrecords.tumblr.com/po...enever-if-ever

True, it sucks this leaked early - but Topshelf, you guys handled it like champs. thanks for putting up the streams tonight.

So then I streamed it on Bandcamp, decided I loved this record, and bought the 12".

Thank you!!

I think this is the first time since USPS jacked their shipping prices that I've ordered something directly from the label. This situation sucks and this band is too special for me to pass this record up.

Means a ton — thanks!!

It's 100% a joke. Greg's nickname is "Shitty Greg" and the band jokes all the time on tumblr about it.

The overall rant about the leak, however, is not a joke.

Yes, exactly. Jokes.

definitely seems like a drunk rant. haha.

what's his beef with his bandmate though? is that a joke , or politics?

See above.

Derrick, who plays in the band, leaked the album himself. He sent it to people over the last few days and knew full-well that it would leak. While it 'sucks' that it happened, the leak was definitely more on the intentional side.

He explains his reasoning in this tumblr post: http://derrick-nathaniel.tumblr.com/...rds-piracy-etc

To sum it up for those who don't care to read it:

i’ve been yelled at constantly for sending it people before it’s release. i really don’t give a shit about it being out. i don’t see any money from topshelf’s sale of the record. the money we make on the record comes from someone buying our copies at shows. we get a percentage of each pressing for free and sell those at shows. i don’t think a record leaking is going to effect the sale of records at our shows. only a fucking dipshit is going to refuse to buy a vinyl record because they have the mp3s.

This wasn't intentional so much as it was unfortunate. He shared it with close and trusted people and it got out. Hindsight's a thing. It could have been handled better. I'd also like to clarify (and any band we work with will back this up): we regularly account to bands we work with and we're paying everyone what they're owed after album expenses are recouped. That sentence he wrote is misleading. He means to say we don't pay them for physical copies of records — we INSTEAD, GIVE them copies of the records to keep 100% of the proceeds from. They'll see something from every purchase of the record. Maybe that was obvious to everyone, but I still felt the need to clarify.

Thanks!!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests